View Full Version : Web N Walk Pro - How Fast at 3G only?

Hands0n
10th February 2007, 11:30 PM
I have just performed a speedtest using Thinkbroadband.com (formerly Adslguide.org.uk). The results are:-
Downlink = 349.03Kbps
Uplink = 112.21Kbps

I'm a bit surprised at the Uplink speed as I was expecting nothing more than 64Kbps for a bog-standard 3G connection.

Windows reports the connection at 460.8Kbps which is probably what the Nokia 6280 modem is reporting back to it.

Performance (here and now) is not too dissimilar from my terrestrial broadband link (10Mbps Telewest (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/117115029892057016649.html)) in terms of how fast web pages display. It is noticeably slower, but only by degrees.

The Nokia 6280 does not support HSDPA - come upgrade time I'll be wanting something with the ability to make practical use of T-Mobile's UK-wide HSDPA network. Good results are being reported by some.

Ben
11th February 2007, 12:46 AM
That upstream does seem a little off... my tests on Vodafone gave less than half that. The best way to get real stats is to upload and download a large file and see what KB/sec rate it flatlines at - then do the maths from there.

Talking of Vodafone - been using the WRT54G3G due to some bad packet loss issues over ADSL. Life saver. If only we had HSDPA coverage.

miffed
11th February 2007, 09:06 AM
I have noticed the upload speeds on T-mobile always seem to come up fast when I have treid speed tests

I have tried

The Bandwidth Place
Thinkbroadband
Speedtest.net ( By far the prettiest :p ) and they all report pretty consistantly on my broadband connection and my W & W connection

Here are my latest results on W & W

Date 11/02/07 08:57:00
Speed Down 158.74 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )
Speed Up 172.39 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )

......So my upload is faster that the download , lol !

There is one thing that makes me wonder , and I may be right off the mark here , but whan you have HSDPA Enable on W&W , it is put onto your account as "HSDPA 384K UPLINK" - is it possible that having HSDPA enabled faster upload speeds , even for those using vanilla 3G equipment ?

If anyone can tell me how to "test" this , I'd like to have a go !

Hands0n
11th February 2007, 10:29 AM
How did you get HSDPA turned on with your W&W? Was it just a simple call to CS? I might just give that a go myself seeing as I get such good downlink where I live and work - it really is a solid 3G almost everywhere.

miffed
11th February 2007, 11:23 AM
It is simply a case of phoning and asking for it (by name -384k hsdpa uplink )

you will probably be told you can't have it for one reason or another , so hang up and try again ! After a couple of calls youll get a cs rep that will just say "ok" and apply it - took me a couple of attemps , but when i eventually was successful the lady acted is if i were asking for the most natural thing in the world !

Ben
12th February 2007, 12:12 AM
Do you think the "384k hsdpa uplink" product is what has cannabalised your download speed? If so perhaps it's better to stay away for now...

miffed
12th February 2007, 07:23 AM
No , for some reason the speed has been up and down for a few days now (noticed this browsing on the phone) - D/load speed is *usually* between 240k & 340k - but recently it has been pootling along a speeds not much faster than normal GPRS :(
I used my (plain £7.50) W & W for some nodem action while I was waiting for sky broadband last week , I wonder if this has been detected and they are reducing my speed because of this ?

Having said that , just done a couple more tests and am getting speeds of 250kbps - surely a restriction would bring it down to a max of something like 64 - 128kbps to be worthwhile for them ?

Hands0n
12th February 2007, 07:47 AM
Their T&Cs say that they will contact you if you break FUP,then if you do it again or consistently they'll throttle your throughput. I don't believe that they'll just pull the plug on you without any prior slap on the wrist.

Could you be suffering from some effect of localised cell breathing? Where's our mast man when we need him :D

Resonate
1st May 2007, 10:50 AM
Well I think you may be onto something here with regards throttling. I have just joined t mobile with a Nokia N95 and standard web n walk. At first I was flying, downloading at 115K per second using phone as bluetooth modem but now I consistantly get 48kbps up and down, indicating its throttled.

I am using the same cell site as I was when I was acheiving 115k download and have also tried at other cell sites which are all the same 48kbps, all with maximum 3G signal.

Also for info I have never rang up to ask to be switched to HSDPA and it does not appear on my useage as HSDPA. But i must be on HSDPA as 115k download equates to around 1mbps connection.

Thoughts?

Ben
1st May 2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Resonate, welcome to Talk3G.

I can't help but think T-Mobile must be reducing the throughput of users it detects as having used their handset as a modem, as this use is not permitted in the standard web and walk terms. It may be worth calling T-Mobile to find out more.

Hands0n
1st May 2007, 07:32 PM
Yes, their Ts&Cs distinctly say that the baseline Web N Walk is to be used on the handset only and that any detected use otherwise will result in speed reduction (throttling).

If you want to use the data on the laptop/PDA the answer is WNW Plus which is only another fiver (£12.50pcm) and includes upto 3GB of data allowance per month. I've yet to score anywhere near that and I use it almost daily!!

Hands0n
1st May 2007, 08:11 PM
I just did a quick review of the Ts&Cs which are below and highlighted in the respective areas - these are for WNW Plus hence the reference to 3GB and use of the facility as a modem. However, their "protection controls" are the bit that I want to draw attention to in the context of this thread.

Subject to connection to Flext + web 'n' walk Plus. Minimum term contract and credit check apply. Compatible laptop and handset required. Not applicable to connection via CSD. Subject to coverage. To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, a fair use policy of 3GB (of data sent and received in the UK) per month applies. If you exceed 3GB per month, we may tell you to reduce your future use. If you again exceed 3GB per month, we may tell you that we are going to apply network protection controls, resulting in a reduced network speed for 14 days. If you exceed 3GB per month for a third time, we may tell you that we are going to apply further network protection controls, resulting in a reduced network speed until you upgrade your price plan to include a larger data allowance. We do not permit use of this service for internet phone calls. Roaming charges apply.

Its all fairly clear enough (I like plain English contract terms) and really, if it got to the point of beyond the second warning it really is reasonable of T-Mobile to insist that you upgrade to a higher plan.