View Full Version : Vodafone At Home - "Unlimited" Fair Use Policy

Hands0n
11th February 2007, 06:18 PM
In common with a lot of other mobile network operators (and ISPs for that matter) the English language meaning of "Unlimited (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unlimited)" has been redefined, in my opinion. It does, then, grate on the senses to find the language being eroded by corporate misuse of simple terms and expressions in a blatant marketing bid to the great unwashed, otherwise known as the Customer.

We see other examples such as "Free" on the Internet being nothing of the sort other than a crippled version of some software. Entirely useless for anything save a cursory evaluation of the product before paying, often handsomely, for the full version.

A sign of our times maybe - but I really don't think we should take this corruption of the English language lying down. Unfortunately, our regulators and other officialdom do not agree, and so we have the spectacle of unfettered corporations mis-selling.

Turning to the specific topic of this thread, I do get there eventually, I have been having a peruse of Vodafone's use of the word "Unlimited" in its Home Broadband offering. Their Fair Use Policy (http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template12&pageID=PTC_0033) is written in refreshingly plain English language. It is, in a nutshell, very simple to understand - if not a bit wordy and lengthy at times, not unexpected of a legal document.

So, what do Vodafone exactly mean by "Unlimited"? Blimey, that's a hard one to answer! Simply because Vodafone are quite unspecific (unlike others). The section of their document that relates to "Unlimited" use of the broadband facility merely states:-

3. Download limits

3.1 In normal use the Broadband Service allows unlimited data transfer over our network. If, however, we reasonably believe that your use of the Broadband Services, including (but not limited to) the total amount of data which you download or upload, is not consistent with normal, fair and reasonable use of the internet then we will be entitled, at our option, to: impose limits on the amount of data which you may transmit; charge you reasonable additional data transfer charges; or suspend or terminate the Services.

3.2 Wherever reasonably possible we will give you written notice before taking any such action, and allow a reasonable period to allow you to modify your use.

There it is - all very fluffy and indistinct, leaving the door wide open for Vodafone to apply almost any meaning to the word "Unlimited". Use of words such as "normal, fair and reasonable use" make for a terribly difficult policy to actually enforce legally, I would have thought. "Normal, fair and reasonable use" in whose eyes? Tested in a court of law this would be ripped to shreds I would have thought.

So what, exactly, are Vodafone playing at? Similarly to T-Mobile, they've left the gate wide open for truly "Unlimited" use. On the one hand they threaten a rather large stick to beat you with if you consistently go outside their FUP terms, such as they are. On the other, they say that they will, if possible, liaise with you prior to taking any such action.

I guess that, in the final analysis, it will take a rather unscrupulous Customer of theirs to trigger their FUP. Given the wording, I doubt that even heavy users of their broadband offering will get caught in the FUP net.

Do you know of anyone who has had the FUP slapped on the table?

faza20
12th February 2007, 01:30 PM
Hi Hands0n

I've checked with 1 of the people respnsible for 'Vodafone at Home' about the FUP.

At the moment the limit is around 40gb. This is the average that BT advised us when we were creating up the 'at home package' with them.

The reason it is not currently in the T & C's, is that over the next few months, Vodafone will be assesing the actual usage of or customers, and then creating it's own FUP around that.

Ben
12th February 2007, 02:53 PM
40GB is probably about right TBH, but I think Vodafone would be making a mistake if they were to reduce it, regardless of average use, below that given the price they are charging for the product.

Hands0n
12th February 2007, 03:13 PM
Hi faza20 - thank you very much for the confirmation of Vodafone's FUP. I do think that 40GB is quite a reasonable limit, and would not have thought that the regular/average user would go above that, at this stage in the game. I also concur with Ben's comment - a good FUP but one that should not be reduced in the face of what is being charged for it.

--------

Thinking into the near-future; Considering that, in the future, all the companies are heading towards VOD and other media offerings an amount of 40GB could very well be hopelessly inadequate. I'm thinking here of what the likes of Sky and Virgin Media (formerly ntl:Telewest) are heading towards. BT itself has said that it wants to be a major player in the delivery of multimedia via its broadband networks. In such a case a significant rethink of FUP limits will have to occur if there are not to be very many Customers caught out by going over.

That said - 40GB should suffice a great many, but it is essential - I feel - that the Customer is advised of such amounts in headline terms. Hardly anyone bothers to read the small print until they fall foul of it. I know the onus is on the buyer (Caveat Emptor and all that stuff), but the reality is that not reading the contract is the norm!

A friend of mine got caught out badly with Prodigy Net's FUP - he bust their data cap and got charged over double the monthly rental. The nature of the billing cycle meant that for two months he was way over the top until he realised what had happened and how much Prodigy were going to charge for it. Yup, it was all there in the small print ............ but it didn't make him feel any better about it. Other problems with the ISP also prompted him to make the jump to Sky and he's happy with their FUP cap and is nowhere near hitting it!

Returning to the use of the word "Unlimited" - I really do feel that it should not be allowed [to describe a service] unless the meaning matched the reality. I do not accept the conventional or colloquial (mis)use of the word, especially by corporates. It puts me off, and I begin to wonder what other tricks lie behind the lie - it does not boost consumer confidence.

Me? I'd market Vodafone At Home along the lines of "V.A.H, a massive 40GB to do as you like with for £25 a month. Bargain". Make it sound huge, but at least be up front and honest about the cap.

faza20
12th February 2007, 05:18 PM
In all honesty (this is just my opinion), I think they use the term uncapped, as an average user would find it hard to hit that limit. The way it will probably go is if you go over once or twice,they won't mind, it will more apply to people who go over on a mthly basis, by quite a large amount.

I do agree agree with you on using the term uncapped if it isn't, although, I can't imagine the average user managing to use just a vast amount. (eg - using an average of 3mb for an mp3, it equates to over 13,000 songs). It will probably more hinder the people who download massive files, like films etc.

Ben
12th February 2007, 06:11 PM
Indeed, uncapped/unlimited is really going to meet its maker when OD takes off. That should be fun ;)

Hands0n
12th February 2007, 06:17 PM
@faza20 - yes, it will be the film downloaders who will be affected by caps even as high as 40GB (less than 10 DVDs). The thing is, people like Sky are actively producing such downloads available on demand (early VOD) right now. Okay, they are not full 4.7GB DVD size, in fact much smaller, but if the idea takes hold and we start using this stuff in our front rooms (i.e. Apple TV and whatever Microsoft will come up with as they develop Mediacentre (which is now bundled in Vista)) we can only expect to see the demand or use of data growing exponentially!

40GB is fine at today's usage - but this time next year? I reckon that all bets are off :D The trick is, can the mobile network operators/ISPs get their heads around this in time? I see such conflicting signals, especially from the likes of BT who, really, should know better.

faza20
12th February 2007, 07:48 PM
If the current ideas do take off, then I do think all the suppliers will have to seriously consider their stances, or face extinction. It will be the newer companies to the internet market, like Orange and Vodafone, who will probably act first (lower market share than others, meaning they have to really entice people to join), and will force the others to act.

Should be interesting to see who survives and who doesn't...