View Full Version : Googlemail's new phone app - Very nice.

Hands0n
13th February 2007, 10:35 PM
Set your phones on Stun and be prepared for a rather nice experience.

Those awfully nice folk at Google have a new Phone Mail Client application for S60 and S40 handsets. In fact, their website susses out which one is right for your handset.

Using your handset's browser go to googlemail.com/app to get the mail application.

If you are using a Nokia 6280 do make sure you use the phone's native browser (normally set to T-Zones) rather than the Web N Walk (Opera Mini) browser. For some reason Opera Mini will not allow you to download the app, but the Nokia 6280 infernal .... oops I mean internal ..... browser will happily download it to your Applications directory. If you're short on memory, don't install it from the browser, just exit the browser, navigate to Applications and Move the app to your storage card or suchlike.

The new app is very easy on the eye, easy to navigate, is online so all of your Googlemail contacts and stuff are readily accessible. The right softkey is pre-set for Refresh which is a nice touch, re-scanning your Inbox is a snap. Following URL links is as simple as highlighting and you are taken out of the app and into the browser - unfortunately is the Nokia 6280's native browser and not Opera Mini - there seems to be no way to adjust this. Operation is quick on the S40 handset, and just as so on the Nokia N70, so it is reasonable to expect it to be swifter on the later Nokia devices.

I must say that this new app makes using Googlemail/Gmail on the go quite a pleasant experience.

High Five :D

bsrjl1
14th February 2007, 05:41 PM
If only there was an option to permanently select the APN & not continually ask for it every time the app is run.... Been using this for a while, it's very good.

miffed
14th February 2007, 08:33 PM
looks nice on the E61 - better than the default symbian mail app

.... now if only they were to develop some kind of Push service it would be excellent

Hands0n
14th February 2007, 08:47 PM
If only there was an option to permanently select the APN & not continually ask for it every time the app is run.... Been using this for a while, it's very good.

Hmmm, thats a "feature" of your handset and not the Google mail app. On my Nokia 6280 it keeps asking for permission to use the Internet, I cant get it to go through without asking. Other apps will by config'ing the 6280 to let them through, but not Google mail, that option is greyed out in the 6280's menu.