View Full Version : LiMo Foundation - A linux solution

gorilla
14th February 2007, 11:39 AM
Digital Planet (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4849402.stm) reports this week that the LiMo Foundation (http://www.limofoundation.org/sf/sfmain/do/home) has been at 3GSM to drum up support for its mobile linux operating system.

"Motorola, NEC, NTT DoCoMo, Panasonic Mobile Communications, Samsung Electronics, and Vodafone established the LiMo Foundation to develop the Foundation Platform, a Linux-based, open mobile communication device software platform.

A world-class Linux-based platform aims to provide key benefits for the mobile industry including lower development costs, increased flexibility, and a richer mobile ecosystem - all of which contribute to the group's ultimate objective of creating compelling, differentiated and enhanced consumer experiences. "

In an earlier thread I had specualted that one day we will be able to choose the OS we want on our handsets.
Now this is supposed to be proper open source and Motorola said on digital planet that they are already releasing the source back into the community. If this is true, then surely you will be able to debrand your vodafone by grabbing an alternative copy of the code which should be freely available? Which make me wonder why Vodafone are getting involved.

Ben
14th February 2007, 11:44 AM
I'm all for LiMo. I can imagine it being vastly better than Symbian (currently king in my book) and, god forbid, Windows *cough*CE*cough* Mobile 5 etc.

Linux is fantastically adaptable and lightweight. It could make for a real treat.

Hands0n
14th February 2007, 02:28 PM
I think that Vodafone are getting involved more or less to become less involved! Eh? Wha...?

Yes. If the mobile phone OS goes open source then Vodafone may well see it as an oportunity to wrest some control of what goes into the handset in terms of producing something very specific for its own network. But it would not necessarily have to write the software itself - Voda do use a lot of oursource - and would not be beholden to the mobile manufacturers who may end up being reduced to producing empty hardware, much like a PC manufacturer. This may well suit them both!

Other examples of where Linux has usurped the original manufacturer may be seen in earlier versions of the Linksys WRT54G router (revs 1 to 4 - stay away from rev 5 which are entirely different). If you don't like what Cisco/Linksys has given you then you can load up an Open Source version of the firmware that fully liberates the hardware, apparently. Full details here (http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3562391) and also if you "do a Google (http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=linksys+open+source+firmware&meta=&btnG=Google+Search)".

Imagine, then, the same thing happening with a 2008 mobile phone handset!

NB: Disclaimer:
If you are going to fiddle with your Linksys WRT54G do understand that you do this entirely on your own risk. No responsibility direct or indirect can be taken for your own decisions and actions. You do stand a chance of turning your WRT54G into a "brick". There are solutions provided in the linked-to articles, but you must be prepared for any eventuality. Like the article says, if the WRT54G is doing all you need it to do then you probably should not try out the techniques. That said, if you are that way inclined, it can be an interesting experiment to carry out.

Personal Note:
I tried. It died. It turned into a brick. Not sure why, the software was supposed to be compatible, it apparently was not. Although it may have been me - you must set the router back to Factory Config beforehand, I didn't. I got the thing back but only be following some of the suggestions and using TFTP to put back an older version of the original Linksys OS - fortunately I kept a very early V2.something on my disk (I don't throw anything away). That got me back sufficient to put the latest V4.something on and restore the config. Must have another go the next time I've six hours to blow away! :D But if you've not the stomach for this, then don't do it! :eek: