View Full Version : Email setup on W850i (on Three)

GRussell31
16th February 2007, 10:38 AM
Hello,

I have recently bought a Sony W850i on three and am having trouble setting up the phone to receive my emails (not using planet 3).

I have a pop3 account, and have gone through the settings on the phone to download my emails, but I receive an error every time I attempt to check my emails stating that the server can not be found.

I also cannot download any RRS feeds on the phone either, as I get a similar message.

Has anyone been able to download any emails on this phone?

Thanks,

-Graham

bsrjl1
16th February 2007, 11:32 AM
Do you have X-Series or a data bundle? If not, I doubt you'll be able to do much.

GRussell31
16th February 2007, 01:22 PM
Not sure to be honest!

I'm on the Video & Talk & Text 700 package, and get £5 worth of downloads (from Planet3) included in my allowance.

I just want to download my emails without using Planet 3, as that requires a 3g signal, and I don't get a 3g signal at work.

Thanks,

-Graham

bsrjl1
16th February 2007, 02:44 PM
Try going into My 3, choosing to add a data bundle & see if Add Casual Web (or something similar) for £0 is there. This might work, and you pay per Mb of data. However I think this only gives you web pages & you need Add Internet 10 £2.50 (which should allow POP mail) or X-Series Silver £5 (which opens up pretty much everything).

Hands0n
16th February 2007, 05:56 PM
Yea, unlike all of the other networks who have data provisioned on their handsets (you just get charged if you use it - and how!!) our friends at 3 have it all locked down until you subscribe/pay/both. The plus is that you cannot inadvertently start using their chargable data without having a notion of what the charges are likely to be.

If you're already with 3 then this link (http://www.three.co.uk/xseries/get_x_series/already_with_3.omp#top) will take you to their page for subscription details.

The 3 FAQ on X-Series is here (http://www.three.co.uk/xseries/x_series_help.omp)

Just be aware of their Fair Use Policy (FUP) which is quite limiting in places, no big favours being done here

Fair Use Policy - X-Series

(effective from 1 December 2006)

To make the most of the X-Series from 3, we encourage you to use the services as much as you like. To help us meet our commitment to you and other customers, we also ask that you use the services fairly. Our take on fair use limits is set out below.

Please remember that the X-Series services are for your personal use only and do not include using your mobile as a modem with your PC or laptop.

A "month" is calculated from the start of each of your monthly billing periods. The following fair use limits are all separate and there is no double counting between them.

Unlimited Data

Fair Use Limit: 1 GB each month

1 GB should be more than enough to allow you to surf websites, use Mobile Mail and download podcasts. We will let you know by text message once you have reached the fair use limit and ask you to cease using the included data services for the remainder of the month. If you continue to use the services we may suspend your data usage until the next month. This will not impact your access to other X-Series services.

Unlimited Windows Live Messenger

Fair Use Limit: 10,000 messages each month

This is more than 300 messages each and every day! If you exceed 10,000 messages we may suspend your access to Windows Live Messenger until the next month.

Unlimited Skype to Skype calls

Fair Use Limit: 5,000 minutes each month

5,000 minutes is more than 2.5 hours a day of Skype calls – every day of the month. We will send you a text message to let you know when you have reached 4,500 minutes. If you exceed 5,000 minutes we will suspend your usage and it will not resume until the next month, however you will still be able to receive Skype calls.

Unlimited Slingbox and Orb (on X-Series Gold)

Fair Use Limit: 80 hours each month

On X-Series Gold you get access to Orb and Slingbox (if you have one). These services have a total combined fair use limit of 80 hours each month. We will let you know by text message once you have reached the fair use limit and ask you to cease using it for the remainder of the month. If you continue to use the services we may suspend your Orb and Slingbox usage until the next month.

Using the X-Services to exploit the unlimited offers

We will also consider your use unfair if you use the X-Series services in any way designed to unfairly exploit the unlimited usage or cause us loss, for example, by using the services for commercial purposes, accessing services that are not included or using an unauthorised device.

We may make reasonable changes this policy in accordance with the Terms for 3 Services and any new version will replace this version.