View Full Version : Getting a generic SIM-free mobile on Web and Walk

Smiley Dan
23rd February 2007, 10:00 AM
How easy is this? I plan on buying a N95 when released and am an existing (not Web and Walk) customer. I want it to do HSDPA, obviously. Is it a simple matter of signing up and then configuring the phone myself?

I prefer to buy my phones 'generic'.

Ben
23rd February 2007, 10:46 AM
I buy generic handsets too. AFAIK, and I'm pretty sure on this, Web n Walk is largely a tariff and doesn't require any specific software or settings. You get your data and, depending upon which Web n Walk you plump for, use your data as governed by the FUP/T&C's. A standard T-Mobile configurator should get you all the settings you need, and it's likely that those provided by the Nokia Settings Wizard automatically will be fine.

Do shop around for your generic purchase, though... some sites are vastly more expensive than others.

Welcome to Talk3G :)

getti
23rd February 2007, 10:52 AM
I have a N95 sent from Nokia to review and was using a T-Mobile SIM card in it. So far the old T-Zones opens not the new one but that can be changed.

So far T-Mobile and N95 are both working gine together with Web n Walk and HSDPA

Smiley Dan
23rd February 2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks Ben.

getti, was it a simple matter of whacking the SIM card in and going to the Web browser? Surely the phone must be configured in some way? Does the SIM have some configuration on it from previous use in another phone?

getti
23rd February 2007, 01:08 PM
There is a program already on the phone called 'Settings Wizard'.

This finds the SIM you have and installs all the settings you need for MMS, GPRS and Streaming

Ben
23rd February 2007, 02:54 PM
All generic Nokia S60's come with the Nokia Settings Wizard. Will this be your first time on a Nokia S60, Smiley Dan?

Smiley Dan
23rd February 2007, 04:50 PM
On a Nokia one, yes. However, I have had a Siemens SX1 which is S60 if a much earlier version (very similar to 6600) for two or three years now... I don't upgrade often!

My experience of this phone is that there are configurations screens with text fields where you need to type stuff in (to be blunt). I don't know if this is unavoidable, and so would need the relevant settings.

miffed
23rd February 2007, 05:08 PM
if you do have any trouble, and need to tweak any settings then another method is to sign up on "My Tmobile" over on T-mobiles site (free)

You can then access pretty concise manuals for virtually every phone ( well , you can get one for whichever phone you registered under your account - but it is really easy to change this and it only takes a few seconds )

Included in the manuals are step by step guides on all configuration - these guides are excellent and easy to follow

....But you shouldn't need them , as above

Smiley Dan
23rd February 2007, 05:30 PM
You can then access pretty concise manuals for virtually every phone ( well , you can get one for whichever phone you registered under your account - but it is really easy to change this and it only takes a few seconds )
It's the fact that I don't expect T-Mobile to support the phone necessarily that makes me worried... I can't see them having manuals for phones they don't support.

miffed
23rd February 2007, 05:36 PM
oops - forgot to add :o

If you use the n73 manual the settings /procedure should be the same !

:o

Ben
23rd February 2007, 06:45 PM
My experience of this phone is that there are configurations screens with text fields where you need to type stuff in (to be blunt). I don't know if this is unavoidable, and so would need the relevant settings.
I certainly didn't enter anything into my 6680, N80 or N73, all generic, using them on Orange and Vodafone. Settings Wizard automatically detects what network you are using the handset on and installs and activates the correct settings.

It's moments like that when you remember why Nokia are No.1.

getti
23rd February 2007, 08:10 PM
It does work. I have a sim free N95 and a T-Mobile SIM and they work fine. Put Web n Walk on and your away with full browsing

Everything works fine

miffed
23rd February 2007, 08:52 PM
Oh , the other thing is - you may need to get CS to add "HSDPA 384k uplink" added to your account
Ring CS , ask them to add it (by name) - 4 out of five attempts you'll probably be told it is not possible or the rep won't have a clue what you are talking about, they'll put you through to a tech department who'll tell you it is only for datacard tarriffs etc , ....Then , on about the 5th attempt you'll find a rep who'll simply say "yes sir , I will add it to your account , thank you :) "

Unless, of course you obtained your sim with an HSDPA phone in the first place , then it should already be good to go

Smiley Dan
3rd April 2007, 02:42 PM
I asked for this and was assured it had been set... of course, I don't trust that, so what's the best way of asserting the phone is working under HSDPA?

Hands0n
3rd April 2007, 08:27 PM
Hook it up to your PC and do a Speedtest with adslguide.org.uk - you'll be in no doubt then.

3g-g
3rd April 2007, 08:35 PM
I asked for this and was assured it had been set... of course, I don't trust that, so what's the best way of asserting the phone is working under HSDPA?

And then let us know on here how your results faired!

Smiley Dan
4th April 2007, 10:36 AM
Hmmmmm...

Speed Down 315.38 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 253.27 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )

Shouldn't it be faster?

Ben
4th April 2007, 12:46 PM
Looks like you've got a good upstream, but downloads should be 3-4x faster.

Smiley Dan
4th April 2007, 01:39 PM
That's via Bluetooth of course... I'm not sure what version I have on my laptop (it's an old D-Link USB dongle)

Hands0n
4th April 2007, 07:56 PM
Ah - Bluetooth will be the limiter for downstream. Try with a USB cable connection to the handset, that is the true measure of speed. I must say that 315Kbps sounds very normal 3G - but the uplink is way too fast for it to be that!!

Smiley Dan
4th April 2007, 09:56 PM
With cable:

Speed Down 293.90 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 347.39 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )

Hmmmm, the plot thickens...

Hands0n
4th April 2007, 10:05 PM
What about trying it with some damp string? :D

I'd say that you have not got HSDPA working but ..... that Uplink speed defies that particular notion!!

Might be worth a call to T-Mobile to see what they say - it may be a legit reason or maybe a misconfiguration on their part.

Smiley Dan
5th April 2007, 12:58 PM
Just spoke to a very helpful chap at T-Mobile in tech support. He walked me through a few configuration options. If you open the dial-up properties for the modem used via PC-Suite and then click configure the maximum speed was not set to the highest figure. I upped this to the top and got a slight improvement:

Speed Down 444.09 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Speed Up 344.03 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )

The guy reckons we should be achieving around the 700Kbps mark so is phoning back later.

Smiley Dan
5th April 2007, 01:11 PM
I just did another test on adsl guide and it came out as:

Speed Down 658.50 Kbps ( 0.6 Mbps )
Speed Up 353.61 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )

!

The I tried 'bandwidthplace.com' and their test said 1.3 megabits/s!

I dunno...

Ben
5th April 2007, 01:28 PM
Sounding better. Speeds can be quite variable in all honesty, so as long as it 'feels' quick you're probably alright ;)

Hands0n
5th April 2007, 10:06 PM
Now thats more like it :)