View Full Version : Vista - A bit resource hungry !

miffed
25th February 2007, 08:50 AM
I have just installed Vista Ultimate on my macbook - ( parallels )

Jesus ! I allocated 1GB of ram - although Parallels default offering for Vista is only 512MB ... and it still runs like a Mini towing a large caravan - and that is without all the aero / glass garbage
Gives the macbooks fans a bit of a workout - I rarely hear them these days , under OSX or XP - but all you have to do (seemingly) is touch the start button in vista and they rev up ! - try to do two thing at once - or a combination of a couple of things in succession , and you guarantee yourself a freeze up

I was only curious anyway ! - but in parallels it is pretty unusable with 1gb and I daren't allocate any more Ram ... I may try it with Boot camp so it can have the full 2GB and direct access to everything - thus letting me have aero etc ( assuming 2GB of ram and a 2GB Core duo is man enough to run it )

What sort of super-computer do you need to run Vista then ? something like this ?

Hands0n
25th February 2007, 10:30 AM
Suggest you try a Mac Pro with the Quad-Core Xeon processor and 16GB of main memory. That should just about get Vista up and running for you without too much of a strain :D

I know Vista won't bomb - its M$ so how could it possibly? But the recent and ever-increasing sales of Mac and growing public interest in alternatives such as Linux are bound to be a consequence of this behemouth of an OS.

It is absolutely crazy what kind of system power is now needed just to run the OS, and thats before even launching an application!! :eek:

Ben
25th February 2007, 11:35 AM
From the reviews I've read I'll probably never get Vista unless I stumble upon some software that specifically requires it. Shame it doesn't play well with Parallels on a MacBook, it must be one hell of a cow!

3GScottishUser
25th February 2007, 11:37 AM
Agree Vista is resource hungry but it has a WOW factor especially for those viewing Aero for the first time.

I have been exploring Vista now for a few months and I love the way MS have improved the information available to customers about their system and it's capabilities. Similar improvements have been made re networking and whilst they are not unique the gadgets on the desktop seem to be a hit with younger folks.

It'll take a while but with laptops now crashing to £399 or less with 1GB of RAM and Vista pre-laoded the replacement/upgrade market will ensure MS have another hit.

BTW: Offic 2007 is very pretty too, the user interface has been upgraded and it will also win a few friends I suspect.