View Full Version : SE W880i

3g-g
7th March 2007, 04:20 PM
So I had an upgrade to use, and wondered what I could get. I know a couple of the boys on here have delved into Sony Ericssons and seeing as I use a Nokia day-to-day I felt a wee change was in order!

Now, the wife has a k600i, which, in all honesty I wasn't particularly impressed with, reminded me very much of the z1010, with the slight reduction in size obviously! So SE were going to have to do a fair bit of work to impress me.

And boy have they.

I've a Motorola L7 for taking to the pub, you know, something that slips into the pocket easier and doesn't make me look like I'm carrying a half brick. This is slimmer. This is also lighter, by about 15g or so! I really can't believe this is a 3G handset, this is what all 3G handsets should be like, the only way you'll have mass market penetration is to make them as small and light as this!

The handset is lovely, a brushed metal front casing and a rubberised back to it, and not just the battery cover, I mean the whole thing. That'll be extremely handy to stop it skittering about inside the car as I go round a corner!

There's quite a bit in the box too. A set of SE stereo pod headphones, but no in-line remote for the Walkman software which I thought was a bit of a let down. It comes with a 1GB memory stick, can't grumble there at all, the SE music SW on CD and has a 2Mpx camera, which in daylight produces lovely shots, however there's no flash... I'm trying to think of any time I've taken phone camera pics using a flash that have turned out well, so perhaps it's no great loss, we shall see!

If you've fat fingers stay away, the buttons on this are tiny. They're quite pronounced from the face of the handset and I worry that they may become loose over time, however it's not going to be abused as an every day mobile, so perhaps I've no need to worry. The k600i that the better half uses has smoke coming out of it from the amount of texting she does and her keypad seems to be holding up well.

All in all I'm very impressed. It's light, quick, packed with enough features for me to sufficiently bore my friends! And it's just about coming to the end of it's initial 2.5hr charge, so I'm away to play! I've no doubt I'll report more as I make my way through the menus!

*skips away*

getti
7th March 2007, 04:53 PM
I cant quite put me finger on it but for some reason i REALLY do not like the W880. Thats not to say it wont sell well, because it will.

But personally i dont like the keys or the smaller screen.... just something about t realy.

maybe because im turning into part man part nokia with all these great devices i have used from them recently

3g-g
7th March 2007, 06:10 PM
But personally i dont like the keys or the smaller screen.... just something about t realy.

If it's because of your fat fingers getti I understand ;)

Hands0n
7th March 2007, 06:48 PM
I've always liked the K600i - the Mrs had one - but the experience on O2 ruined it for her and for me as we never did get to realise its true capability. It now sits in its box, retired with all of the other handsets that have come and gone through the years. It and the T610 have become best box-buddies :D

I am still in awe of the SE W900i that I carry in my lycra shorts - no, really, I don't do that, I just wanted to see if you were all paying attention :D!!

The W900i, I think, defined Walkman/Phone/Cybershop convergence into one neat, if not bulky, package. To think that SE may have done it again with what you've just gone and grabbed hold of. Gosh, that looks a tidy little package. Not sure if I'd want one or not, but all the same, I make you right - this is the way that 3G handsets must go, smaller, compact, but no less comprehensive in their offerings.

bsrjl1
7th March 2007, 10:34 PM
My missus is due for a new phone, been having a look in the stores & this seems to be *the* phone at the moment. But why isn't it on 3?

As she "like Nokias", but not the N73, she might end up with an E65.

3g-g
8th March 2007, 12:39 AM
My missus is due for a new phone, been having a look in the stores & this seems to be *the* phone at the moment. But why isn't it on 3?

As she "like Nokias", but not the N73, she might end up with an E65.

I was down to the n73 and this personally, I think the Nokia is probably more capable, however, for me this is a weekend phone, and this does it more than handsomely.

I agree that Nokia are putting some scrumptious screens on their handsets just now but this really does look and perform beautifully. I've spend an hour putting my numbers in (it's anal I know, but I quite enjoy doing it, gives a good clear out at the same time) and as I mentioned previously the keyboard was my only main concern... and I'm now finding it hard to justify the complaint, a good "sesh" typing has left me feeling much more positive, I can't see there being any issues in the short term whatsoever.

I still can't get over the size of the thing. It really is the smallest and lightest handset I've ever had, no joke.

If you want something you won't lose don't buy this. If all you're after is the latest gadget (i.e. Me) buy, buy, buy! :)

bsrjl1
8th March 2007, 02:52 AM
Ah it's still a bloater compared to the Nokia 8210/8310 :-) Does anyone know what the smallest/lightest phone is?

Ben
8th March 2007, 09:27 AM
Ah, my 8310 (memories).

Anyway, gorgeous photos, 3g-g, thank you! Extremely desirable, and I extremely desire one, but I think I'd hate the small screen and buttons :( So, while this isn't the handset for me, I will be very surprised if it isn't one of the killer handsets of 2007.

SuperFlyTmobileGuy
15th April 2007, 02:35 PM
Mine is arriving tomorrow - been playing with my mate's W880i all weekend, it's awesome, the only thing is it seems to get red hot while charging.