View Full Version : NEC E616V no texting service

DavidTheSlayer
13th March 2007, 10:54 AM
Hi my name is David I've just signed up...

@Admin: if this is in the wrong place, then my apologies, please move this thread to the correct topic.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a small problem on my phone.

I only own a NEC E616V, and as far as I know the settings are default, I got this phone from my brother. I was thinking of getting a new one so I didn't bother re-topping up with this one for a long while.

I make calls, and possibly receive them its just the texting thats the problem now.
When I goto send a text it comes up with "Service not available".
Phone settings are default and signal strength is fine, so the only problem is that the phone has been disabled as suggested by Ben or the credit is to low. I think I'm also in a 3G area, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

I had £0.28p of credit to try calling and it worked, I now have 5p worth of credit.

I tried texting when I had £0.28p of credit.
I looked up 3G prices and it costs 10p for a text.

Any idea's

Also anyone know where I can find prices for calling/texting etc to China.

Thanks for everyones time
David

Ben
13th March 2007, 12:18 PM
Hi David,

Just to confirm - the handset is on Three UK and is a Three UK branded device?

Welcome to Talk3G!

bsrjl1
13th March 2007, 01:20 PM
Check that your SMS Centre is +44 7782 000800 ?

Hands0n
13th March 2007, 08:22 PM
Also anyone know where I can find prices for calling/texting etc to China.

Hi David

I presume that you are on the 3 network with that E616v

3 only have messaging (MMS and SMS) network agreements with China Mobile and China Unicom at this time, according to their information.

Calling China with 3 you have a number of options.
If you make a lot of calls you might want to consider their Add International Saver (http://www.three.co.uk/personal/on_three_/calling_and_messaging_/talk_/international_saver.omp) call services which costs £15 extra a month and includes China among 23 other countries. This offers "unlimited calling" according to 3's website - their Fair Use Policy (FUP) states you can use up to 3,000 minutes for that £15. It uses a prefix to the regular number so I think this is some kind of agency deal struck with 3 and using a 3rd party for the actual delivery.

Ad hoc calling rates with 3 to China are 90p per minute voice, 25p per SMS, 35p per Photomessage and 75p per Videomessage.

Full details of 3's International charges are here (http://www.three.co.uk/personal/coverage_/going_abroad_/international_charging.omp).

DavidTheSlayer
14th March 2007, 04:41 PM
Wow thank you all for the replies, it really helps a lot. :)

Firstly sorry for any newb questions. Had this prob for a while now.

Gonna have to get one of those international packages...
Yes my phone is on the 3's network and it is a 3G phone.
I'll try to top it up but I don't think the texting is going to work.

Whats the SMS Centre number about?
I've looked it up and searched my phone but can't find it, even checked the service number's folder, it has numbers very similar to that SMS number but it wasn't there.

Do I have to add it to the phone?
So when I top it up should work if it doesn't get disabled.

Thanks to all for the replies, info and the links.