View Full Version : Vodafone unveils mobile deal with Asda

3GScottishUser
30th March 2007, 09:17 AM
LONDON (AFX) - Mobile phone giant Vodafone Group has struck a deal with Asda, which will see the supermarket chain sell branded mobile phone services to shoppers.

The deal will be similar to the agreement between Tesco and Telefonica (nyse: TEF - news - people )'s O2, under which the UK's biggest grocer rents airtime on the O2 network. Over 1 mln Tesco customers have so far signed up to the service.

News of the tie-up between Vodafone (nyse: VOD - news - people ) and Asda, which is owned by US retailing giant Wal-Mart (nyse: WMT - news - people ), came ahead of a presentation to City analysts this morning on it British and German divisions.

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2007/03/30/afx3566836.html

solo12002
28th April 2007, 01:13 PM
News from the sun newspaper this morning is that charges will be 16p for first three mins then drops to 8p. Texts will cost 10p for first three then drops to 5p.

orange on the other hand has a new plan easyspeak at 15p at all times.

Hands0n
28th April 2007, 02:13 PM
Still a little way to go to beat T-Mobile's Everyone PAYG tariff at 12p/min any network at all times. But steps in the right direction mustn't be snubbed.

Compared to Voda's own PAYT plans the ASDA pricing seems quite good, at face value. Voda's Anytime is 30p/min for the first three, then 10p/min thereafter. These are eligible for Voda's Free Weekends deal, which the ASDA plans won't be.

The usual caveat applies - Buyer Beware - you really have to look at these price plans in context with your typical usage. I have friends for whom Free Weekends and Stop The Clock are utterly worthless. Yet others who live on the two deals and save bundles in the process having given up regular contracts with any other provider!

It is nice to see more choice on the table though :)

solo12002
3rd May 2007, 11:31 PM
Some details on the service can be found here:

http://www.asda-mobile.com/pdf/Welcome_Book.pdf

Hands0n
4th May 2007, 12:02 AM
Neat find. Data equates to £4/MB - not cheap but better than Vodafone's own £7.50/MB on their PAYT. I think I could find myself recommending an ASDA SIM :)

bsrjl1
4th May 2007, 09:15 AM
Was in Asda last night, strangely most of the other networks' handsets were out of stock, plenty of Asda ones though ;-)

Hands0n
4th May 2007, 05:54 PM
LOL that is too funny :D I suppose there is an inherent mistrust in anything that is unknown. One of the problems easyMobile had to face was that even though the easy*brand was strong it was not enough to carry it into mobile telephony. Asda will have a bit of a struggle on their hands, but if Wal*Mart cannot do it, then noone can.

solo12002
5th May 2007, 11:21 AM
I think two of the things that will help them are:

Cheap handsets one starting at £20

Price plan of £16ppm to any network first three mins droping to 8p after that and texts 10p for first three then droping to 5p, it sures beats virgin who charge 35p x net. Indeed in light of all the other networks, Virgin should re look at their PAYG plan.

The fact that they use Vodafone network and therefore you have access to 3G, which I dont think TESCO has and indeed O2! maybe some one will point out Im wrong? and the fact that you can roam which I dont think you can on the TESCO network. (Bearing in mind the OTT Price) I thinks its 43p in and out

Ben
5th May 2007, 12:31 PM
Vodafone certainly puts ASDA in a strong position. But if this takes off, I just hope Vodafone has the capacity.

Hands0n
5th May 2007, 02:06 PM
An MVNO is on a safer bet with Vodafone than O2 at the moment, given O2's apparent network issues, particularly their [lack of] 3G quality and availability.

solo12002
7th May 2007, 12:31 PM
Well I have gone down the path of buying a Adsa PAYG sim card. Normally costs £5 but if you top up in store you get a extra £1 and the sim card free as well.

I have to say that in respect of pricing its swings and roundabouts T-Mobile 12p and 10p text at any time or 16p for first three mins then 8p and 10p for first 3 texts then 5p on ADSA, so I think it depends on the way you use it.

I have to say I have found the coverage to be much better using Adsa as its on the vodafone network and I now have coverage in places I dint before, plus I have access to 3G which is great as i Iuse yahoo2go and get my emails pushed to my N70.

Two downsides is if you contact support using the online sysstem it takes over 24 hours to get a reply (Iam still waiting.

Secondly the Sim cards dont come with MMS/GPRS/3G setting in them you have to contact supoort, reason why im waiting, hope they are able to send a update down.You can set these yourself and the settings are here.

Its not clear which one should be used for 3G, greatful for advice, I think its the GPRS one

ASDA mobile Settings
ASDA mobile SMS Centre +447785014315
ASDA mobile MMS Centre http://mms.asdamobiles.co.uk/servlets/mms

ASDA mobile GPRS Settings (WAP):
Homepage: www.asda-mobile.com/wap
APN Name: ASDA mobile
APN Address: asdamobiles.co.uk
Gateway IP address: 212.183.137.12
Username: wap
Password: wap
Session Type: GPRS
Authentication: Normal