View Full Version : HSDPA availability and EDGE coverage

stuartturrell
14th April 2007, 10:15 AM
AS i have a HSDPA enabled mobile, just wondering if i need to get it enabled by orange to allow me access to the HSDPA network, or will it log on fine for me?

Also, what is oranges edge coverage like, they only show 2g/3g on their coverage maps online, shame :(, i like vodafone's coverage maps!

Ben
14th April 2007, 11:32 AM
Ello :D

I don't think you need to do anything to get HSDPA enabled - your handset should just use it when it's available.

EDGE coverage isn't that expansive, AFAIK, but then there really isn't much need for it in the UK.

stuartturrell
14th April 2007, 11:43 AM
I picked up an "E" on my handset earlier, never seen it before, didnt last long so guess its in portsmouth or southampton or something, never see it on my N80 tho :(

@NickyColman
5th May 2007, 05:01 PM
I had an E a few weeks ago (in network coverage terms) when i was travelling to Leeds. The strength was pretty pants and dropped before i could use it properly!

stuartturrell
5th May 2007, 05:08 PM
there are 2 places on the Island i can get Edge coverage. My local spot, when i connect to edge, i get no data through-put.
The other spot, at work, when i get that, i get decent speeds, its just getting the signal is a bit hit and miss.

Martin3G
8th May 2007, 12:26 PM
there are 2 places on the Island i can get Edge coverage. My local spot, when i connect to edge, i get no data through-put.Do you know the site name (or cell ID) which is giving you no data through-put ?

stuartturrell
8th May 2007, 07:20 PM
I have no idea at all.

There isn't a network monitor piece of software for s60 3rd edition mobiles is there?

I reckon the transmitter is most likely around Brading, on the isle of wight.

Ben
8th May 2007, 07:59 PM
Is IOW covered by sitefinder? http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/ should help you find your serving mast if so.

stuartturrell
8th May 2007, 08:02 PM
IOW0021 may well be the cell ID, but that is a guess at the transmitter that has edge!

Martin3G
9th May 2007, 11:38 AM
IOW0021 may well be the cell ID, but that is a guess at the transmitter that has edge!

Can you try again and check if it's still a problem.

stuartturrell
9th May 2007, 08:16 PM
I have not had a signal yet from brading (unless its not connecting to edge), but i will let you know when i get onto the transmitter.
I use orange local to look at what transmitter i am connecting on and i am currently connecting to a transmitter in Newport, Isle of Wight.

Is there anywhere i can get a list of my local tranmitters so i can work out what edge/3g/2g coverage is on the Isle of Wight??

stuartturrell
10th May 2007, 08:10 PM
Got a signal last night from that trasmitter using edge and i had managed to view webpages with it, nice one!!

Thank you!! Guessing you work with orange. Best thing about orange are they are good at what they provide!

Martin3G
10th May 2007, 11:59 PM
That's good news Stuart.

Yep, I work for Orange and it's great to be able to help out. A reset of GPRS on the site seems to have done the trick :)

Ben
11th May 2007, 07:58 AM
Martin to the rescue! He's one of the better features of an Orange contract, IMHO ;)

stuartturrell
15th May 2007, 02:47 PM
That's good news Stuart.

Yep, I work for Orange and it's great to be able to help out. A reset of GPRS on the site seems to have done the trick :)

Since the repair has been done, i am connecting to that transmitter more i find, which is good as the other transmitters are 2g with standard gprs, though i do get 3g sometimes but not sure what direction that comes from.