View Full Version : Can i keep my old Number on Contract?

Gagz
17th April 2007, 07:11 PM
Hi, i took out a 18months contract on the Sharp 903 a while back and before that i was on PAYG and they let me bring my Vodafone number over to VF contract hoorah. So my 18mo contracted ended about 6weeks ago at which point i said i wanted my number put back on PAYG which was done.

I now just over 2weeks ago took out a contract on the Nokia N95 (12month) and wanted to keep my number but was told they couldn't do it yet or something. Anyways i got a new number but i dont really like it because i had my old number for like 8years and want to keep it. Is it possible to transfer all my contract details over to my PAYG sim and get it back on contract or am i stuck with the new number?

Hands0n
17th April 2007, 08:17 PM
I can't see why they won't do what you want. It will only be a procedural or policy thing that they have an issue with. You should drop note to Vodafone asking for them to do the switch for you and put that FIT135 number in so that the Vodafone team who seem to be able to achieve that bit more than the first-line CS desk will get to see it.

Like HandsOn, if you wanted us to look into this for you we'd be happy to, you'd just need to go to www.vodafone.co.uk, select 'contact us' then 'email'. (you might have seen on here already, leaving the shortcode FIT135 in the email body will send you through to a team of Vodafone staff who monitor internet forums.

I'd not recommend using this for all and every enquiry - but when you occasionally run into a brick wall these good people are normally quite effective (and always helpful and courteous).

maxspank
17th April 2007, 08:58 PM
You can't replace your new contract number with your existing on a running contract. If you're within 14 days of starting ther contract though there should be no problem in Vodafone cancelling it and starting a fresh with your PAYT number.

If you're outside the 14 day period then you'll have a fight on your hands.

Hope this helps.

Hands0n
17th April 2007, 09:12 PM
Is that a policy or other limitation at Vodafone maxspank? It would be daft of Voda (or any other network for that matter) to lose a good customer at next changeover because of something as seemingly easy to score a quick win with.

Ben
17th April 2007, 09:14 PM
I'd imagine it's technical - moving a number on the same network isn't the same as porting, it may well be that the Vodafone number has to be selected at the point of contract creation :(

I assume when you took your PAYT number to Contract the first time, Gagz, that this happened when you started the contract and not afterwards?

maxspank
17th April 2007, 09:17 PM
Policy. A contract can be cancelled and early termination waivered with 3 mouse clicks. It is daft that they'd be willing to lose a customer beacause of that, but I guess they figure they have them hooked and dazzle them with upgrade offers before they can see the end of their contract.

Gagz
18th April 2007, 12:09 AM
OoO good news, rang Vodafone and they said their not sure why i wasnt allowed to keep my PAYT number but they put a note on my account because the department was closed. But they said if i ring back tomorrow they will sort it :\ 8-5pm sometime grrr i got work till 6:30 :( i'll try during lunch though :) thanks guys :P so much for the battle on my hands lol

Hands0n
18th April 2007, 12:13 AM
Good luck and fingers crossed - Vodafone can be very reasonable often. If you get no joy it can be worth calling and asking again, and again, and again until you find a CS who will follow it through for you. Not that I've had to resort to such tactics. They've been as good as gold for me.

faza20
18th April 2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Gagz

Were you able to get it sorted out with CS?

Just to let you know, if you weren't, if you go to www.vodafone.co.uk, then contact us, you'll be able to send us an email, if you us the FIT135 it will be picked up by myself or Deac27vf.

Gagz
19th April 2007, 12:29 AM
yup got it sorted out, thanks guys :)

Ben
19th April 2007, 12:31 AM
That's great, I'm glad it wasn't a case of 'computer says no'. Isn't it nice when things get sorted out!

Hands0n
19th April 2007, 06:23 AM
Excellent news :) Voda CS can get it so right mostly - others could learn from them.

Now if only their data tariffs were not so punitive! Sir John's influence hasn't taken hold yet, I'd wager.

Gagz
19th April 2007, 11:57 PM
Ive never had any problems with Vodafone CS to be honest, i have to admit i love talking to them because i know they will sort my problem out within a few seconds, shame other companies arn't like that :|