View Full Version : Orange & Vodafone cripple the n95

3g-g
18th April 2007, 07:25 PM
I won't post this in either section of the operators seeing as it involves them both.

Orange and Vodafone are up to some SW shenanigans with the n95, in the form of removing the VoIP capability, which in my opinion is rather poor show, especially as both of them have ISP offerings alongside their mobile.

Now the operators make the cost of the handset back throughout the term of the contract, so I wonder where this places the consumer who should be the one making the choice.

Nokia N95 handsets supplied by Orange and Vodafone, in the UK, have had their VoIP capability removed in what looks like a desperate move by the network operators to defend their voice revenue.

Each operator has their own variant of the software pre-installed on a phone handset to allow them to pre-load branding or particular applications they want to promote. But Orange and Vodafone have both taken this one step further with the N95 and actually removed the VoIP capability built in to the handset.

What this means is that nicely integrated applications such as Truphone won't work at all, even though the client appears to install OK the menus and configuration needed to make VoIP calls just aren't there.

Truphone have put together a nice comparison video, showing what's missing. Stand-alone VoIP applications, such as Fring, still work as they don't require integration, though because of that they don't offer such a compelling user experience.

In some ways this is entirely unsurprising: the network operator is subsidising the handset, and so limits the handset to their voice network. Customers have got used to subsidised handsets being locked to one network, so this could be seen as a simple extension of that policy, and there is nothing to stop a customer buying an unlocked (and unsubsidised) handset.

It is, as James Tagg from Truphone puts it "a removal of customer choice", and it's hard not to see a parallel with the way network operators tried to limit WAP browsing to their own walled gardens - back when the industry thought WAP was going to make money.

Vodafone is saying nothing beyond confirming that the functionality has been removed.

Orange told us that this was not a policy decision and that future handsets might, or might not, have VoIP enabled.

Neither company attempted to justify their decision, beyond some bleating about keeping things simple for customers, so we are left to conclude that this is just a protectionist measure.

The problem here is that Nokia advertise the N95 as being VoIP-capable, but the version being sold by Vodafone and Orange isn't, so some customer confusion is only to be expected. Trading Standards tell us that anyone who bought an N95 from Orange or Vodafone, on the understanding that it is VoIP-capable, should talk to Consumer Direct about possible recourse, and keep us updated of course. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/18/n95_crippled/

Hands0n
18th April 2007, 08:44 PM
An interesting dilemma - although easily fixable by either operator. At present, unless Orange and Vodafone specifically say that their supplied version of the N95 is not VoIP-capable then the Consumer is within their rights to expect the handset to be as Nokia have manufactured and promote it to be. O & V will fall foul of Trade Descriptions Act as the handset does not fit the description of it. Easily remedied, though, by the companies making specific mention that the capability has been removed in their edition of the handset.

The work-around for anyone who wants VoIP back on their N95 will be the same as done with other Nokia handsets. Change the product code with the appropriate software tool, run the bog standard Nokia Software Updater and gain the standard Nokia software for the handset. It won't be very long before that particular trick hits the streets and there is nothing that either operator can do about it except bleat on about warranties being invalid. But it is Nokia software on Nokia hardware so the case is weak, imo.

Ben
18th April 2007, 10:42 PM
What exactly are the networks trying to achieve here? Nokia is innovating. I can understand how the networks would find innovation hard to understand, but they need to be embracing new features - not grabbing their protectionist armour and running for the hills.

It's one handset, for christ's sake. Surely it'd be best to let the handsets go out as Nokia intended and simply monitor the usage of those subscribers to get an idea of whether revenue is falling away or not. If it is, well I don't know, the networks could actually think about offering VoIP services of their own for on-mobile use! I may have to edit out that comment at a future date... I'll never make the board kicking around such radical ideas! ;)

Hands0n
18th April 2007, 10:52 PM
Think about this very carefully people - Vodafone and Orange are saying that you cannot use their supplied handset on your WiFi network. Even if, through your contract, you will have paid the subsidy against the handset.

Since when was that ever going to be okay?

Ben
19th April 2007, 09:39 AM
Wait wait... we're just talking about using VoIP, yes? The rest of the handset still works fine over WiFi?

It's totally not ok/cool/down with the funky beat/acceptable that any network should remove any feature on a device that we end up paying for. I suppose they would argue that they're tailoring their devices to their network... but if there is a legal or regulatory path for this to be sorted out then that'd be a good step and one I'd support.

stuartturrell
19th April 2007, 07:30 PM
Thats a bit a bugger, i was hoping to sample VOIP at some point, though i did say that with my N80, but the software isn't really around.

I am disappointed as i expect to get a N95 when i ordered an N95, not a N95 lite. :(

Hands0n
19th April 2007, 10:21 PM
Run the Nokia Software Updater on your N80 and it will magically turn into an N80IE (Internet Edition) with a VoIP client. Then load up Truphone and you can sample to your hearts content. And it is exceeingly good in fact :)

stuartturrell
19th April 2007, 11:28 PM
actually i tried an update the other day, and it said it was up to date :-?

Will have a look to see if a VOIP application is on it somewhere, if so, shame the mrs now has it and i get the N95 lite. :(

3g-g
20th April 2007, 02:17 AM
Well Vodafone have given a response to the removal of the VoIP SW, the author hits the nail on the head in the article, Vodafone think we'd be too confused having a VoIP application on the handset, so they've taken it away! I hope Truphone get a stand-alone application out there quickly just to stick it up both V & O!

Vodafone has finally provided an explanation for the removal of VoIP features from the Nokia N95, and apparently it's all for our own good.

A Vodafone statement says the mobile operator doesn't offer its own VoIP service because it doesn't believe it's a mature technology, and would require "in-depth testing, a solid end-to-end customer experience, billing integration and customer service support which is not currently available".

You can bet that it's the lack of billing integration which is key here.

The statement goes on to explain: "There is a misleading perception that VoIP services are 'free'. This is, however, not the case when it comes to using VoIP over mobile where customers will need to use data connectivity to establish a service and may incur further charges."

Of course, Vodafone does offer a Data Unlimited tariff, but the details are hard to come by and it's expensive compared to the competition.

"Vodafone feels responsible that customers should not incur unnecessary charges when competitive mobile rates are a cost-effective choice for customers."

So using VoIP is no more expensive than normal mobile calls, and it would only confuse us if we had it, so better Vodafone takes it away.

However, the mobile operator says it's not reducing choice: "Lastly, it's important to note that customers can download VoIP applications if they choose to do so or can use VoIP services via a laptop and data card."

Stand-alone applications such as Fring continue to work fine on the N95 from Orange or Vodafone, but they don't offer near as compelling a user experience as the integrated solutions from the likes of Truphone.

Truphone said it is working on a stand-alone application for those unfortunate souls who bought their handsets from Orange or Vodafone, but until then the best option is still to get an unrestricted handset and enjoy the option of easy-to-use VoIP calls.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/19/vodafone_explains/

stuartturrell
20th April 2007, 07:32 AM
So what exactly is it blocking? just the nokia VIOP software i take it?

Ben
20th April 2007, 10:45 AM
They're just uninstalling the VoIP software, afaik.