View Full Version : 3G PrePay Data Cards

Nero
24th April 2007, 04:05 PM
Trying to track down a Vodafone prepay 3G data card, anyone know of an re-sellers?

It doesn't appear that VF sell them directly.

Thanks

Hands0n
24th April 2007, 07:51 PM
Wha? All of Vodafone's prepay SIMs are 3G enabled out of the box, they (unlike Orange) do not differentiate. I've got a pair bought in different high street shops which are pulling in 3G signals without any prior arrangement with Vodafone.

Ben
24th April 2007, 10:33 PM
I think Nero is referring to the data cards, rather than actual SIM's.

I haven't seen any around I must say - I'd imagine stores will still sell you them, though?

The tariff was so dear I doubt there were many takers.

Nero
24th April 2007, 11:40 PM
I think Nero is referring to the data cards, rather than actual SIM's.

I haven't seen any around I must say - I'd imagine stores will still sell you them, though?

The tariff was so dear I doubt there were many takers.

Yup. From what little I understand VF do not sell PrePay Data Cards through there own outlets, there is some info about that they are available through third parties (Amazon, PC World etc..). But as ever I cannot seem to find anyone able to sell a PrePay 3G Data Card, with appropiate SIM of course.

I realise the tariff may not be too attractive, but I have a very specific need in mind.

Nero
24th April 2007, 11:43 PM
Wha? All of Vodafone's prepay SIMs are 3G enabled out of the box, they (unlike Orange) do not differentiate. I've got a pair bought in different high street shops which are pulling in 3G signals without any prior arrangement with Vodafone.

By inference I guess you are suggesting just hooking up a 3G capable phone to use as a modem, but I'm really after a PrePay data card plus SIM.

Hands0n
25th April 2007, 06:58 AM
By inference I guess you are suggesting just hooking up a 3G capable phone to use as a modem, but I'm really after a PrePay data card plus SIM.

Y'know, it is always better to read these things carefully before replying LOL :D I really should not stay up so late !!??!! :D :D

I reckon you could pick up a data card easy enough on eBay - a lot of Laptops got shipped with these in 2007 - not sure if Voda are still doing that particular promo. But I dare say that there are literally hundreds of these sitting around in drawers not being used (purely 'cos of the punitive data costs courtesy of Vodafone).

faza20
25th April 2007, 07:37 PM
PC World USED to sell the cards (I'm guessing you're after the PAYT cards that were sold with a cheaper rate than normal - around £3.07 per mb instead of the normal £7.50 per mb you pay on PAYG on a non data specific SIM). I've seen them floating about on Ebay a few times, along with a few local phone stores, so you may be best just keeping your eyes open.

On the pp.internet APN (only available on the PAYG data SIMs), the data pricing will not be changing, so it will still be £3.07 when the data prices change.

Nero
25th April 2007, 08:51 PM
Thank you all.

Ben
25th April 2007, 09:04 PM
Good luck! Fancy sharing your specific need with us bunch of loveable strangers?

Nero
25th April 2007, 10:42 PM
Good luck! Fancy sharing your specific need with us bunch of loveable strangers?

No not this time, just an expirment I was hoping to try out. The obvious solution had missed me by, just get a normal Post Pay 3G card and SIM, then swap out the SIM for a pre pay one. Okay not too cost effective but I do get the reslut I was looking for.