View Full Version : T-Mobile Data Modem Halves Vodafone Prices

Ben
24th April 2007, 04:23 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/news/2007/04/24/T-Mobile-Data-Modem-Halves-Vodafone-Prices/p1

For a company so far ahead of its rivals when it comes to data contracts I'm surprised T-Mobile has taken this long to get a USB modem into the marketplace to compete with Vodafone's offering but now it has it could clean up.

Called – rather literally – the 'web n walk USB modem' this is virtually identical to Vodafone's 'USB Mobile Connect Modem' and it does virtually the same thing: provide HSDPA speeds (maxing out at a theoretical 1.6Mbps) to notebooks on the go or in the home (removing the need for a landline).

Like Vodafone's product, the web n walk modem is also compact, plug and play friendly and both Mac and PC compatible. Unlike Vodafone's product however, it is absolutely fantastic value for money.

The modem itself comes free on 18 and 24 month contracts and costs just £29.99 on a standard one year deal but the real kicker is the monthly rental of just £29.99 for an 'unlimited' data allowance (within the usual reasonable usage policies). Contrast this with Vodafone which currently charges £53 per month for the same reasonable usage 'unlimited' data allowance and there should only be one winner.

The T-Mobile USB modem is available in stores and from the company's website now. I – like all its rival networks – have no idea how it does this...?
£30/mo for no wires broadband that can be used on any PC or Mac is indeed a pretty special offering. Will anyone buy it? That remains to be seen...

3g-g
24th April 2007, 05:25 PM
Hang on, we're talking about ~£10 a month more than your usual landline broadband connection... If you move about a lot for work or whatever I can't see a reason not to buy! Ditch that landline if you get T-Mob 3G services at home! T-Mobile are making every other operator look stupid as they push ahead with data offerings.

Perhaps the others are holding back waiting for T to fall flat on their faces, I wonder if they'll be able to sustain the momentum. I hear that, although great for the consumer, T aren't making the cash with these offerings, that includes flext and such :(

Hands0n
24th April 2007, 07:49 PM
This device could well tap into the huge Rental and Student Accommodation market that is ignored by the other operators. Something this simple and relatively cheap has got to be a winner.

Re T-Mobile not makin the cash ..... I can't see why not especially as the margins on the voice and data are so vast. However, let us accept for a moment that they are not ... the only true answer is the Wal Mart approach of "Stack 'em high, sell ' em cheap, and lots of 'em" - volume sales will outdo premium pricing any day. The way forward is to commoditise mobile voice and data. It cannot survive in the domain of the priviliged and wealthy.

gorilla
24th April 2007, 09:16 PM
Ok, lets not get carried away. This is still an expensive way of connecting to the web.

I've been saying for a while now that the networks need to do a bundle.
Virgin do 4 for £40. Why would I leave them for this? Mobility? Not a big enough requirement for me. Now if one of the operators turn round and say you can have laptop access through your mobile tariff for £40 I'll listen. For example, 300 xnet mins, 500 texts, 20GB data (including P2P, voip etc). For that I'd ditch the landline.

solo12002
24th April 2007, 09:55 PM
" For example, 300 xnet mins, 500 texts, 20GB data (including P2P, voip etc). For that I'd ditch the landline"

lol in the name of a song " You want it all, you want it right now! lol

Ben
24th April 2007, 11:00 PM
Well, they have the blurb right: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/personal/pages.do/our-services/internet-on-the-move/internet-on-your-laptop

If you don't need a home phone you can stop wasting money on two lots of line rental - you don't need a fixed-line connection from BT for mobile broadband

Ben
25th April 2007, 10:59 AM
The Reg are also carrying the story: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04/24/t-mobile_modem_hsdpa/

Now, I'm getting a good deal on my Vodafone data after renewal, but if I wasn't then boy would I want one of these! The device itself, which I have on Vodafone, is just great. I'd still like to see the networks push for more integration of their SIMs into laptops and other electronics, and I'd like to see this device shrink in size significantly, but having this device in their range makes T-Mobile look pretty formidable for now.

SE800i
25th April 2007, 05:37 PM
Ok, lets not get carried away. This is still an expensive way of connecting to the web.

I totally agree Gorilla! Don't you get free access to wifi spots with Web'n'walk though, so hopefully this will help us avoid having to pay £30 for wireless internet.

Hands0n
25th April 2007, 09:40 PM
It may be an "expensive" way of connecting to the Internet ...... but bear in mind that in certain cases it is a highly effective way of doing so. I'm referring to rented/temporary accommodation and the likes of student "digs" where a permanent BT line and ADSL is not really that viable. Moving these is often an expensive business, particularly if you move around each six months or whatever.

Bear in mind also, this £30 is for exclusive data connectivity whereas WNW is a bolt-on to a regular contract such as Flext for example. WiFi hotspots do not compete necessarily as they are not as universally reachable as 2G/3G this works on.

I would say that, while still more expensive than landline services, T-Mobile have once again broken new ground with this offering and tariff. The apparent intransigence of the other four networks is staggering. Are they waiting for T-Mobile to admit defeat and jack up their prices? I hope that they have a very long wait indeed!