View Full Version : New Orange Data Tarrifs? are they new?

paulbds
25th April 2007, 11:06 PM
Hello from a newbie here in Colwyn Bay North wales. I am always on the lookout for good data deals as my laptop, when I connect to the work network gets locked out (firewall) of various sites, eg eBay/Ryanair etc. I currently use TMobile WnW £1 /day acces as it's the best currently on the market for PAYG
Imagine my surprise when I saw this artcle in Mondays Times as I see this as a much faster way in internet use as PAYG. (T Mob isn't a great signal where I sometimes work from but Orange is better)Maybe as the market develops all the operaters will introduce PAYG internet for cheap rates

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article1690586.ece

I was hoping to post this on the day I read it but it took me a couple of days for registration to get cleared.
I went to the Orange shop in trafford Centre today and the helpful sale chap there didn't seem to know about the new tarrifs. (He did tell me about the £1/day Orange World access ( and I was given a 3G Orange SIM) but I am not too sure if this will be the same thing.
Anyway, just in case this is news for the members of this BB I am glad to share this with you:)

Paul

Link checked and working 25/4/2007

(I have no connection with any of the telecoms firms mentioned -)

Ben
25th April 2007, 11:24 PM
Hi paulbds, welcome to Talk3G!

I like Orange's idea of simpler tariffs... (sarcasm!)

Contract: Internet “snacks” – 30p for 15mins with daily cap of £1.50 or a “bundle” priced at £1 per day or £5 monthly for evening/ weekends or £8 monthly “anytime”

Pay-as-you-go: Internet snacks – 40p for 15 mins with daily cap of £2 or a daily £1 bundle
Vs T-Mobile's already established, crystal clear pricing:

Contract: £7.50 per month unlimited browsing on “Web ’n’ Walk” or capped at £1 day for other customers

Pay-as-you-go: Capped daily at £1
What the hell is wrong with Vodafone and Orange? How are they managing to make their 'new' data tariffs even more confusing than their old ones?

T-Mobile still has the edge, IMHO.

timothythetim
26th April 2007, 06:43 PM
Is orange £8 a month for pretty much free mobile browsing?
I'm paying a fiver for the off peak data one.
I wasn't aware of the £8 one, I'm gonna switch tonight.

timothythetim
26th April 2007, 09:10 PM
I just phoned up orange and they said that for £8 you only get 10Mb of data.
Boo. I'm just gonna stick with the unlimited off peak one.

Hands0n
26th April 2007, 09:42 PM
One has to laugh at the very apparent [or is it deliberate?] missing of the point by the Mobile operators.

[from original article]

However, customers have remained defiantly uninterested and today 96 per cent of mobile revenues are still generated by plain calls and texting. Orange, in common with its rivals T-Mobile and 3, which have moved to flat-rate tariffs, believes that the slow uptake for internet services is down, in part, to confusing pricing.

In part? ..... In Part? ....... What is it about the punitive pricing of Data are they missing the point about? Do the Mobile Network Operators seriously believe that the average Brit is staying away from data in droves because of some reason other than the simple fact that mobile data is priced at a premium level attainable only by the corporate spend or individual with a large disposable income? Do the MNOs believe that their [upto] £7.50 per MB tariff is at all and in any way reasonable?

I'd really like to slap a few of them about a bit with the Clue Stick!

stuartturrell
3rd May 2007, 05:41 PM
Anyone had an success with adding a "anytime" decent bundle with orange?

I have the off-peak £5 bundle, but i would like to have a decent (price wise) anytime bundle.

“bundle” priced at £1 per day or £5 monthly for evening/ weekends or £8 monthly “anytime”

the £8 thing does sound good, but why does orange not know about it tho its published by the times?

timothythetim
3rd May 2007, 10:47 PM
Apparently, they offered it for a while then changed their mind, but didn't let all the staff know, so some people were phoning up and getting it and others weren't.
I didn't get it and I'm gutted.

3g-g
3rd May 2007, 10:48 PM
It's also been in the Register; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/03/orange_goes_unmetered/

It seems to suggest that the usage policy is a Gig a month, not 10Mb. I note they've also stipulated the "non use" of certain applications but they don't seem to be overly bothered about what you do with your data. I think in the early days, as it is now for mobile data, the networks won't be too bothered about what you're moving about as long as you don't take the p*ss with data consumption.

stuartturrell
3rd May 2007, 11:01 PM
ummm, that articale is from today. so the tariff comes into effect as of 1st june??

1gb a month, i could easily handle that on a mobile phone :)

I would get both on peak and off peak bundles if this is the case and orange are still going ahead with the 1st launch for the £8 bundle.

Also, i do like the fact that vodafone are now charging for vodafone live, and orange are now letting us have "some" of the content for free.

Nice one orange, starting to sort yourselves out at last, i knew my faith in you would pay off.

3g-g
3rd May 2007, 11:23 PM
My feeling on the matter would be that if you took the £8 option you could do pretty much anything you liked with it, including modem use, as long as you didn't batter the connection. I don't think Orange would be too bothered as long as you didn't beast the Gig of data in a day!

Would be handy for say, pulling emails down remotely if needed, or a bit of browsing while out of the office.

It's all still small steps, but in the right direction at least.

Schockwave
4th May 2007, 10:21 AM
I agree, it is a step in the right direction, and about time too. 1gig, that sure is much better than their 10Mb a month!:D

@NickyColman
5th May 2007, 03:22 PM
At long last Orange seem to be chasing -T-Mobile and Three in terms of flat rate data! £8 is decent pice for 1GB of data on a phone for the average customer. Unlimited access would be better mind!

Its a shame Orange dont play on their Orange Internet arm! They already have an established Internet service and you would think they would take advantage of it! Like 3G data cards, free WiFi "HotSpots" like -T-Mobile have done.

Schockwave
5th May 2007, 03:43 PM
Maybe, they will come up with this idea in the future, things are always changing, so could be something for a later date, although it is a pity they are not doing it now.

stuartturrell
5th May 2007, 03:51 PM
i phoned orange about it yesterday, they knew nothing about it, but did say they wouldn't know anything until it is released, so i will try again on 1st June.

stuartturrell
31st May 2007, 01:19 PM
these new data tariffs coming in tomorrow still do we know??

solo12002
31st May 2007, 09:46 PM
Nope if the details ahere are correct:

https://www.fone-logistics.co.uk/global/downloads/highlights/highlights.pdf

or here:

http://www.hughsymonscommunications.co.uk/documents/hscm/pdf/5_2007_hscm_pdf_June_org.pdf

solo12002
1st June 2007, 01:01 PM
LOL

I have to laught after all the talk of Orange having a web add on I understand its £8 for 30MB a month what a joke nearly as bad as one offered by Vodafone.

Still I am laughting on the day they release the 30MB web add on I get a monthly email from them called , wait for it:

Spot the Bull!

I think they left the S word out at the end of it

miffed
1st June 2007, 02:30 PM
OMG !!!

I have just checked on "My Account" on Oranges Website and you are right

The £8 package is a measly 30mb !! (I realise the word "unlmited" has been abused by various people lately , but this takes the cake !! )

Or of course , I could have a Whopping great 80MB for £41 !!!

I remember the OLD web & walk before the revolution was 40mb - and the current incarnation of W&W has a FUP of 40mb A DAY !!

This is the biggest letdown I can remember ( since three launched , actually )

Orange should be ashamed of themselves !

@NickyColman
1st June 2007, 04:04 PM
Just to clarify, under the My Account section, where it says £8 for 30MB - that is the old tarrif. Its been there a few months.

Give it a few weeks i'd imagine and we will see a bigger limit set on the FUP.

miffed
1st June 2007, 04:14 PM
Just to clarify, under the My Account section, where it says £8 for 30MB - that is the old tarrif. Its been there a few months.

Give it a few weeks i'd imagine and we will see a bigger limit set on the FUP.

Are you sure ? I have been checking this every day for the couple of weeks , and there was no such option till today - can't remember the exact numbers but the option for £8 was was for about 10 mb I think previously ?

These options have DEFINATELY changed today , I am 100% certain

@NickyColman
1st June 2007, 04:45 PM
Perhaps you should call Orange CS to get some clarification? 30MB is paltry like! That would be eaten within a day!!

solo12002
1st June 2007, 05:08 PM
"Give it a few weeks i'd imagine and we will see a bigger limit set on the FUP"

I dont think so. Also orange is not making a big deal about this , there little information on their web site at all.they are currntly a laught stock after O2 then Vodafone in respect of theirr data plans.

I have to question why all the details about a unlimited web add on thern to find information only in respect of 30mb and why would it take weeks to update this information for orange users to find on my ornage.

Sorry I think we have been screwed, it thats unlimited I hate to think whats not!

Thank god I wated, the more I see, the more three calls me. No coverage for t-mobile

Hands0n
2nd June 2007, 10:47 AM
The Data Tariff does seem to be that last great frontier that the mobile companies have yet to cross en masse. T-Mobile have led the pack with their Web N Walk in all of its variants (WNW, WNW Plus and WNW Max) and [all of] the others have yet to come even close. They all seem to be hell bent on derailing their own attempts at enticing the buying public to take on their Data Tariffs.

Can it truly be so that none of the mobile operators get it yet? Data is not a bolt-on to Voice. On the contrary, Data can stand on its own feet given the chance. The whole world has moved on from Voice and Text - and if the mobile ops won't give it then others [i.e. WiMAX] will step in to fill the breech.

I would really love to see a non-mobile operator rock this particular boat. The wholesale complacency is astonishing.

miffed
2nd June 2007, 11:59 AM
I bet there are a few sighs of relief being breathed at Voda and Orange !

Each of them expecting the other to launch a "killer" package on 1st of June , knowing that their own is , frankly , pathetic

stuartturrell
3rd June 2007, 06:46 PM
Any one taken a look on orange world recently.
A message is now on there about this new tariff plan coming soon.

It quotes the anytime £8 package too!! So it is on its way!!!! :)

Also goes on about some of orange world being free to browse.

Ben
4th June 2007, 09:28 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/04/orange_caps_at_30mb/

El Reg seems to think it's a 30MB FUP - they even comment that it makes Vodafone's £7.50 tariff look good and they aint wrong!

3g-g
4th June 2007, 11:32 PM
Hey, you can add 80Mb for £41, that's 51p a MB, what you all wanting, blood!? :rolleyes:

You don't know you're born!

miffed
5th June 2007, 07:22 AM
For me the frustration is , that this was all "OK" when T-mobile introduced these wonderful W & W options (over a year ago ) and the others were a bit slow to react - there was a glimmer of hope then , and we all had in the back of our minds - "Well , obviously Vodafone and Orange will match this , or at least come close , and they will have the advantage of their , um , (oh , go on then ) "Better" networks , (although I can't say we see many Vodafone 3G waves in my town :confused: )

But now both of the others have tried their damnedest , and still come nowhere even close it sort of puts a nail in the coffin of any kind of hope

what worries me more is regression

I am a T-mobile Fanboy as you know , but surely , now everyone elses cards are on the table (except o2's) , then T-mobile hardly need to strive to keep their offering competitive do they ?

I can see an accountant sitting there right now , pointing out that they can afford to double the price of W & W , or half the FUP and still kick everyone elses ass

I wonder if the decision not to even try and compete with T-m was agreed by Orange and Voda , rather than seperately ?

3g-g
5th June 2007, 09:16 AM
I wonder if the decision not to even try and compete with T-m was agreed by Orange and Voda , rather than seperately ?

I think that would be price fixing and against the competition laws. I'm pretty sure the OFT and OFCOM would have something to say about it if they did!

Hands0n
5th June 2007, 08:00 PM
Yes, Cartels are illegal in the UK and we don't have any, do we? :D

solo12002
5th June 2007, 09:00 PM
"Yes, Cartels are illegal in the UK and we don't have any, do we? "

Nope once you dont think of, OFCOM, Vodafone,T_Mobile, Orange , O2, Three etc.

Not that i would inply OFCOM is in the pockets of the Telecos!

miffed
5th June 2007, 09:24 PM
LOL !

I just think it is VERY fishy that everyone was anticipating these bundles ,
Everyone KNEW what they were supposed to be competing with (W & W )

So all the expectaions had been set - added to that , Orange and Voda would have both been in a position of knowing the other was about to launch their offering on the SAME DAY !! -
With all of that to take into consideration - if they both thought each other was about to launch a Web & Walk competitor - then NEITHER of them would have the balls to realase the shambles that either of them DID launch

No , sorry , I am convinced that Orange & Voda were both aware of each others intentions

Hands0n
5th June 2007, 09:59 PM
Creaky leather high back armchairs, bare wooden floors broken only by burgundy rugs, dark oak pannelled walls, the fresh smell of the finest Cuban cigar smoke pervades the atmosphere, the occasional rustle of the broadsheet breaks the otherwise silent room. Whispered conversations. Discretion. Agreements made with a pledging nod, white hair and dandruff ankle deep. Decanters of fine old Port are served by solemn gentlemen in gold braided uniforms. The location? Somewhere in North London, possibly near Whitehall. No signs outside of the door of the anonymous white stone walled building. The masses walk by on the pavement oblivious to its contents. In this rarified and exclusive atmosphere the nation's future is moulded..........

miffed
5th June 2007, 10:10 PM
HandsOn .......

HandsOn .....

HANDSON !!!

snap out of it !

@NickyColman
9th June 2007, 12:42 PM
I have just emailed Orange asking if they have any flat-rate data packages planned? I dont suppose they will tell me anything but its worth a try.

The 30MB FUP on Oranges website for £8 a month is disgusting really! I have noticed on Orange World they are promoting their new "Free" homepage...whatever that means?

Surely for a company who strives to keep things simple and be customer focused should be putting their effort into creating a flat rate data package to protect their customers. Imagine if the internet was chargeable if you went outside your homepage! It makes no sense! Its restrictive !

GRRRR i'm actually considering leaving Orange!!!! Their tight grip on data useage and the fact they make it expensive to use simple things like picture messaging. At least -T-Mobile, O2 and 3 have the right idea by giving you picture messages inclusive of your tarrif.

@NickyColman
15th June 2007, 12:57 AM
Just a small update....

I emailed Orange around a week ago with the following;

Hi, can you tell me if Orange are going to be offering any flat-rate unlimited data packages aka T-Mobile\'s Web N Walk?

I would like to take full advantage of the internet on my phone, but im unsure of the costs and which data package would offer the least risks.

Thank you in advance

A simple enough question, yes? Not too indepth? This is the response..

Dear Nick

Thank you for enquiring about service plans and bundles currently offered by Orange.

Please go to http://www.orange.co.uk/service_plans/ where you will find information about all the plans on offer. If you would like to change your service plan, please call Customer Services on 150 from your Orange phone or 07973100150 from any other telephone.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Esther
Orange Customer Services

Great customer service . . .. .*cough*. . .I honestly expected a reply that made an attempt to get me to change to a data package, not a half arsed "look on our website" answer.

Tut tut tut Orange!

Ben
15th June 2007, 09:16 AM
Generic responses are just fine when a customer is asking a 'generic' question. To send a templated email back like that is just poor customer service :(

miffed
15th June 2007, 10:50 AM
I agree , Orange CS has really sunk to the lowest depths

I sent them (CS & the Exec office ) a mail asking them why they lied , and are continuing to lie to me about their ability to unlock generic handsets ( for those that didn't follow , they actually SUPPLIED the unlock code, then kept sending me mails telling me they were unable to provide codes for such handsets !!
I know it seems petty , but I really don't like the idea that CS are going to blatantly lie to me( as an official line) to make their lives easier !