View Full Version : T-Mobile Data Card - Free, Included with Sony Vaio

Hands0n
28th April 2007, 06:06 PM
My firms owner just got himself a new SONY Vaio SZ3XWP Intel Core Duo laptop this week and it came bundled with a free T-Mobile Merlin XU870 HSDPA 3.6 data card. Very nice.

With the data card came a T-Mobile contract SIM which just needs activating on an 18-month contract for Web N Walk Plus or Max (£29/3GB no VoIP or £40/10GB unrestricted use) respectively, the first 30 days free, and including WiFi Hotspot passport for the entire UK.

The Merlin XU870 is a dinky little card using the new PC Expresscard slot type. This makes for a device that looks entirely natural when slotted into the laptop's chassis. An example can be seen at this link (http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=256365&Tab=1&NoMapp=0). A review on the XU870 can be seen here (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/02/review_novatel_xu870/). Although this is a high-end and thus pricey laptop it does fit the typical model spec and price that a mobile data user currently resides in. In time I would expect mobile data to be as de-facto as mobile voice is today - it is only lagging some 25 years behind in that respect!

Vodafone scored well doing this with their Data Card and USIM tie-in with the laptop makers in 2006. It is nice to see T-Mobile doing this with [at least] Sony. I don't know if T-Mobile are tying in with other laptop makers - they should if they are not.

Clearly, what it shows is that T-Mobile and Vodafone are serious about Mobile Data, unlike some others that shall remain nameless. Now all we need are some more reasonable Data Tariffs to encourage, not disciminate against, the buying public's take-up of the facility.

If you've a spare £,1500 for a WinTel laptop and another £29/£40 a month for mostly integrated data on the move, you'd do a lot wronger :D than going for this particular bundle.

Ben
29th April 2007, 10:29 AM
Indeed, Sony have been bundling this card with a selection of their laptops for quite some time now. Originally it sounded like they were actually integrating the technology into the laptops, the route Vodafone has taken with Dell, HP, Lenovo etc, and I was actually quite disappointed when I found out it was an ExpressCard. Sure, rather that than a PCMCIA card, but who wants anything at all sticking out of a sleek Sony laptop?

I certainly hope the partnership with Sony has paid off for T-Mobile, as Sony laptops are certainly popular and, I'd argue, some of the best looking of the PC world. I do think they get a 'must try harder' sticker, though. I want to see their SIMs in integrated slots in laptops by this time next year.

Unfortunately, as Intel has dropped HSDPA support in the new Centrino platform 'Santa Rosa', it's all up to the networks to push manufacturers for integration - and we all know the networks are about as efficient with getting things done as the NHS can sometimes seem to be.