View Full Version : Nokia N95 multimedia slider phone

Ben
1st May 2007, 06:25 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/05/01/review_nokia_n95/page6.html

It's the gadget fan's ultimate phone: it does absolutely everything and does it well. It's not as good as standalone devices, but at least it saves you carrying five bits of kit around. Nokia has produced a handset that doesn't compromise on size or functionality, and for once avoids the unnecessary irritations that have spoiled past N series phones. Only the price - high - and the battery life - low - are bothersome. Now, where's my credit card?
A 90% from The Register bodes well for the N95, which as received a mixed reception in terms of reviews despite selling very well. Neat picture of the adapter, too - that marks the first new Nokia charger I've seen in quite a long time!

Ginz
2nd May 2007, 11:58 AM
So many reviews of the phone its hard to keep up!

General crux is that the GPS and battery life arent as good as expected but other than that it's top balls!

Hands0n
2nd May 2007, 04:32 PM
A mate of mine has just got his N95 - we've had to put him in nappies until he settles down!

gorilla
3rd May 2007, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure I want one. It's just too much of everything. Having said that, I've still not seen one in the flesh, so I may get bitten by the bug!

Ben
3rd May 2007, 11:21 AM
I've only seen dummy ones, but I also can't make up my mind. A better device for web browsing would be great, but the N95 has way too much of everything else.

Nokia would do well to have a web-browsing-centric HSDPA device, maybe with a dedicated browser button and a dedicated MSN button or something...

gorilla
3rd May 2007, 01:13 PM
That is why I fancy the E65. It has a better battery life and also S60 OS so adding apps wont be a problem, in fact it's probably the true successor to the N80. So ok it doesn't have a forward facing camera (who cares?) and the 2mp camera wont impress anyone, but other than that I think it's quite a nice phone. But then again, I did like the O2 Ice phone :p

Ben
3rd May 2007, 02:40 PM
The E65 is an absolutely beautiful handset. In all honesty I'm considering getting one myself, but I'd really miss the N73's camera and I'd also need to buy another new memory card (I'm starting to like the old Nokia that never ever made changes).

Again, I don't think it's web-centric enough. I'm interested to see what other devices Nokia has planned for this year, though I think it's possible the N95 is the years 'hero handset' and we wont see much more innovation until 2008.

miffed
3rd May 2007, 04:58 PM
I've been looking at one of these too TBH

I have started cycling again , and want a small handset - the E61 is great ,but a bit large , but I miss a camera ,

So , I have narrowed it down to ...

an N95
E65

..... OR I am considering ( used from ebay )

an HTC Tytn (again ! - think I sold mine a bit prematurely )
or
an N80

Decisions descisions ! :D

Ben
3rd May 2007, 05:20 PM
You actually like the TyTN? :p Not only is it about seven times bigger than the E65, but it's got that ruddy useless OS on it. What's it called again? Oh yes, Windows Mobile!

As for the N80, no no no no no no...

miffed
3rd May 2007, 05:41 PM
The reason I like the Tytn is simply that I can use it as an HSDPA modem ! Plus I am looking forward to trying out WM6 :)

Also , it is small enough to fit in the little bag on my bike with my wallet and keys !

As I say , I wouldn't go as far as buying another one new - but if I see one on ebay for the right price , from someone that looks half trustworthy , then I'd grab it

I thought the n80 was OK after the software updates ? - this (and the E65) are sort of "last resort" phones due to the lack of HSDPA - It is between the n95 or the Tytn really

Ben
3rd May 2007, 08:43 PM
I think you can discount the N80, in all honesty. It was a work-in-progress that paved the way for the far superior N73 and, well, pretty much any Nokia released since then really. It'll always be slow, the camera will always be naff, and the battery life will always be poor :(

If you need HSDPA speeds, though, I'd say it *has* to be the N95 over TyTN!

Hands0n
3rd May 2007, 09:13 PM
I, too, always wanted an N80. Now that my employer has given me one I want to give it back!! I use it as little as possible. It is fun using the WiFi with Truphone (if you haven't got that then get it now, before you do anything else tonight!). But the N80 overall is nothing like its press photos - it is fat and bulky, just looks tiddly from the angle it was most oft pictured from. Battery life is dire - speed of OS is as fast as a Sinclair ZX81 on a good day!

miffed
4th May 2007, 02:01 PM
Well thanks for all the advice folks , I have bought the N80 ! :D :confused:

LOL , I should point out that the whole reason it was being considered was because on of the lads from the gym offered it to me for £60 ! - I was pondering on this basis but had decided against it after your comments ....

However , this morning the young lad that bought was selling it asked me again , I told him I wasn't interested , he was very dissappointed and lowered the price to £40 .. I said told him I couldn't afford it (to let him down gently) , and he said "Well , how much have you got ?"
I told him I had £23 in my pocket (didn't feel the need to mention the £300 or so in my wallet ;) ) and he said "That'll do " :D

..... So I now have an n80 , I am actually impressed at that price - and it appears nokia were using mini sd's the day they made the n80 - so it came with a 1GB SD card - which was worth my £23 alone IMO :D

gorilla
4th May 2007, 03:01 PM
You've got a bargain there, in fact you fleesed the poor sod (well I suppose he is £23 richer!). While the N80 does have a lot of negatives, for that price it should be worth it. Make sure you turn off the bluetooth and wi-fi and your battery should last 2 days with moderate use. I'd also suggest you upgrade the firmware.
If you don't like it, sell it on ebay and keep the memory card!

miffed
4th May 2007, 03:51 PM
first thing I did was upgrade the firmware mate Gorilla ! - it was 3 branded :mad: - but unlocked , so there was no way I was keeping that horrible 3 overbranding - so I changed the product code and flashed it as soon as I got home :D , all running nicely with generic N80ie firmware now

Well , I suppose I did fleece him - but TBH it is not in mint condition - it looks like there are teeth marks on the back casing around the camera :rolleyes: .. I have seen a replacement casing on ebay for about a tenner - another issue is that there are a couple of white/ brighter dots on the screen , you can only see them when there is a white screen , don't know if it has had a knock or something - or maybe the screen is just going into super nova or something , and will die , but I don't intend spending a fortune on it anyway
This will serve as a "trial" to see if I can get away with using a phone of this form factor with s60 - and ( as I haven't made much of a dent in my budget ) I may still get an n95 if I like it

Have to say - so far I am quite impressed with it though , I think you are all being a bit harsh :D ....tune in a week from today to see if I still hole that opinion :rolleyes:

Ben
4th May 2007, 05:30 PM
Have to say - so far I am quite impressed with it though , I think you are all being a bit harsh :D ....tune in a week from today to see if I still hole that opinion :rolleyes:
Of course you're bloody impressed, it's S60, not Windows Mobile ;)

I hope you enjoy it, you've certainly picked up a bargain there. It's a capable device, it's just rough around the edges to the extent that living with it can become a chore.

Hands0n
4th May 2007, 05:50 PM
@miffed - stop dicking around and stick Truphone on it - nip round to the neighbour's front garden and make a SIP call via their WiFi free of charge. At the moment Truphone are giving away free calls to UK landlines and mobiles ... so its worth checking out if SIP is for you.

Don't forget to configure the Truphone SIP Manager to keep your WLAN scanning turned off. You can manually locate the WLAN when you're in the area of one.

I quite like the N80 - but hate its weaknesses (slow, cr*p battery life, fat like a fat boy etc....)