View Full Version : Bob Fuller Steps Down, Kevin Russell New CEO

getti
3rd May 2007, 10:00 PM
Bob Fuller to retire in June after four years

3 UK announced today that Kevin Russell has been appointed CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of the company, replacing Bob Fuller who is to retire as he turns 60 at the end of June. Fuller has been with 3 in the UK for four years, following two years with sister company 3 Italy.

Canning Fok, Chairman of 3 UK, said:

'I am pleased to announce the appointment of Kevin Russell as CEO of 3 UK. In Kevin, we have a great successor to Bob Fuller and someone who I believe will be able to meet the challenges faced by our rapidly growing 3G telecoms business.'

Commenting on Bob Fuller’s retirement he said:

'After a distinguished career in the telecommunications industry, Bob has decided to retire from his position of CEO of 3 UK. I would like to thank Bob for his many contributions to our Group and wish him all the very best in his well deserved retirement.'

Kevin Russell joined Hutchison Telecommunications International Limited in 1995 and was later appointed as CFO of Partner Communications Company Limited in 1999. He then went on to become CEO of Hutchison Telecommunications (Australia) Limited in 2001. Kevin has been Deputy CEO of 3UK since January 2007.

Bob Fuller first joined the Hutchison Group in 1982 and became COO of Orange UK in 1997. He was a key player in the success of Orange, which was sold in 1999. Fuller re-joined the Group as Co-CEO of H3G Italia Spa in September 2001 and was appointed as Co-CEO of 3UK in May 2003. Under Fuller's leadership, 3UK has developed leading market positions in the mobile media sector.

3g-g
3rd May 2007, 10:56 PM
I noticed this in the Register today; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/03/new_boss_at_three/

One particular paragraph that should be noted is the following.

But while Bob Fuller presided over the introduction of such innovative services, Kevin will face the bigger challenge of making them pay. He has a commitment to put the UK part of the company into the black during 2008, which will prove far from easy.

And that's the issue, Three need to get back in the black, I'm not sure how running a company in the red quite makes Bobs career distinguished imo.

Hands0n
4th May 2007, 12:08 AM
............I'm not sure how running a company in the red quite makes Bobs career distinguished imo.

That's Boardroom-speak for ".. the guy's been a right d*ckhead". He'll get a fat pension and told not to come back, ever! Job done. How many times have we read in the media about similar situations? CEO makes major cock-up and gets rewarded handsomely. Tea-boy puts one sugar-cube too many in the cup and get hung by the testicles from the gatepost!

Bob Fuller couldn't run a Train Set - why they let him loose on a fledgling 3G operator defies logic and reason.

Ben
4th May 2007, 12:33 AM
I'm not entirely sure how 3 is going to get into the black given that it doesn't really have a high-spend customer base and the other networks are sliding further into retention mode. I guess the existing userbase will mature, and perhaps spend more as a result, but there's got to be a significant gamble on either a handset or service arriving that can really make the 3 brand desirable.

3GScottishUser
4th May 2007, 10:21 AM
Worst kept secret of 2007!!

Changes nothing really.

Russell will have the same dilemma Bob had to contend with. HWL appear to be keeping 3 UK on a care and maintenance basis presently, probably in the hope that the market might offer a better opportunity for them in the future. That seems a bit of a long shot though with falling prices, convergence and regulator pressure.

I still expect HWL to exit the UK and Europe as soon as they can offload their assets in a manner that allows them to retain some dignity.