View Full Version : Quick question

miffed
6th May 2007, 03:06 PM
Please excuse my ignorance in this matter .... But do Vodafone offer any kind of realistic data rates these days or do they still have their head in the clouds ?
.... You won't beleive it but I am contemplating an n95 on Voda :eek:

(I love to take risks - it was either a bungee jump out of a helicopter into a pit of hungry crocodiles or a new Vodafone contract -and I thought "what the hell , you only live once ! " so decided I may go with the riskier option )

And they seem to be offering the N95 for the minimum outlay (making it easier to sneak past my wife )

Ben
6th May 2007, 05:08 PM
New data pricing starts 1st June: www.vodafone.co.uk/datapricing

miffed
6th May 2007, 06:54 PM
hmm , a quid a day eh ? so that's 4 times the price of T-mobile ... and thats assuming I stay under the 15mb daily limit , otherwise I can pay em £2 per mb ? ( it'll be a pleasure ! .... NOT )

I think I'll give this one a miss :(

Ordered one from OSPS for £49 ( £30 pm on an o2 18mth contract)

I have heard that o2 are not locking these ! -( if it is locked I am sending it back :D ) so I intend to use my t-mobile sim in it (naturully,as they are seemingly the only net with a danny about data pricing !) , Also , with OSPS being a CPW subsidury it may even be unbranded (no worries if its not though) , So it is going to cost me (effectively) £590 - but I will undoubtedly use the minutes & texts (or at least the kids will) ... So I am pretty pleased with the deal :)

Pesky bank holiday ! looks like i'll be waiting till Wednesday at the VERY earliest :(

Ben
7th May 2007, 12:23 AM
Lol, cripes, you really wanted that phone, eh!?

Vodafone's new data pricing will really be beneficial to those who dip in and out of mobile data usage. The way I see it, few people use mobile data every day - and when they do, using over 15MB can be quite a push on a mobile.

There's no doubt that the other networks currently offer better flat rate tariffs, but this is an improvement on £2.35/MB for casual users.

The data pricing site also suggests that Vodafone will release an actual data product of some sort. I hope that we'll also see this on 1st June, but we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully this product will be more in line with what the other networks offer.

You never know... WWDC is in June... perhaps Steve Job's keynote will also include a 'one more thing' announcement that the iPhone will also launch in the UK, on Vodafone, and that's what Vodafone's data tariff overhaul is all about ;)

Ok, clutching at straws there, but you just never know!

miffed
7th May 2007, 02:10 PM
WTF !!??

Just got an email from OSPS saying my order has been accepted on o2 , on the condition that I pay a £350 deposit !!! :confused:

I have had contracts with o2 for over 3 years now ,never missed a single payment (or even made a late payment ) - My credit record is absolutely flawless !! (honestly ! not a mark on it !! ) - but they think it is "too risky" to let me have (another ) contract with them !??!

I best cancel my existing contract if I am that much of a risk to them :mad: :mad: :mad:

solo12002
7th May 2007, 05:27 PM
" I best cancel my existing contract if I am that much of a risk to them"

And I would phone them up and let them know that, making them fully aware that they should judge you on you payment history wihch in your words is wonderful!

Ben
7th May 2007, 05:52 PM
Get your credit report from equifax or experian just to ensure there's not something dodgy going on (someone mistakenly making multiple searches, someone making searches with a mis-spelled name to extremes like identity theft/many searches within the last 3-6 months).

Computer systems that grant credit are often very suspicious. If the policy is that customers with multiple contracts become high risk then this will automatically lower your score with them. That's life! One of those 'computer says no' situations.

miffed
7th May 2007, 06:10 PM
Get your credit report from equifax or experian just to ensure there's not something dodgy going on (someone mistakenly making multiple searches, someone making searches with a mis-spelled name to extremes like identity theft/many searches within the last 3-6 months).

Computer systems that grant credit are often very suspicious. If the policy is that customers with multiple contracts become high risk then this will automatically lower your score with them. That's life! One of those 'computer says no' situations.

The reason I know the Credit file is clear is because I recently had a spot of bother ! - I suddenly last year got about four letters from debt collectors , all for debts I have never heard of !
All because one company had carried out a mistrace , we ended up with about 25 addresses being linked to my name , and a default was placed on the record
After no less than 100 (at least ) letters to various people , including our MP , they admitted it was a mistrace and removed the defualt
As a result , I signed up with experian and now check the file on a weekly basis

...... Thought it was all done & dusted now , but it is possible something has carried over - But as far as I can tell the record is clear now

solo12002
9th May 2007, 07:56 AM
What worries me about this, is not so much the information the credit company has on file.

Its the fact that a company you have been with for clearly some time, were you have been proved to of been a good payer of services, have chosen to set that aside and have based their judgement on a paper report.

What has happened to common sense, ie Mr x has been with us x years bills paid in full and on time.

miffed
9th May 2007, 09:10 AM
What worries me about this, is not so much the information the credit company has on file.

Its the fact that a company you have been with for clearly some time, were you have been proved to of been a good payer of services, have chosen to set that aside and have based their judgement on a paper report.

What has happened to common sense, ie Mr x has been with us x years bills paid in full and on time.

Yes , it has all gone a bit silly ..... but their loss , not mne :D

I should also mention I have had numerous contracts with ALL networks - I currently have one with O2 , 3 with T-mobile , 1 with orange , recently ended 1 with Vodafone and another with orange - PLUS I have passed credit checks with Voda ,3, & T-mobile & Orange in the last 6 months - I was only once asked to pay a £100 deposit on my first T-mobile account , and that was supposedly because I was getting a £500 phone for free on a £15 pm contract (I thing it was an error on the website that I , and several others on XDA developers managed to "take advantage" of :D

just to prove my point .... Ordered an n95 from Orange yesterday ....order all accepted and on its way today *paces up and down waiting for it to arrive*

Ben
9th May 2007, 09:19 AM
"one with O2 , 3 with T-mobile , 1 with orange" & "I have passed credit checks with Voda ,3, & T-mobile & Orange in the last 6 months"

Both of these are likely to be negatives on a new credit application. Lots of searches and lots of contract commitments will lower your score. However, the fact that, presumably, you have been a reliable customer in the past should have negated the need for a deposit.

Of course, networks will constantly change the parameters of their new customer checks to favour certain 'types' of customer where appropriate, to meet their internal target and balance their subscriber base - not to mention to stem new acquisitions when the commissions budget has run dry.

AppleFanatic
11th June 2008, 11:01 AM
You guys could always take out a quick personal loan. I am preparing to do that for the new Iphone coming out. :D Cell phone companies like being a little extreme with their fees I've noticed.
because I think that we should all be allowed to geek away on our cell phones even if excessive use might be outside of our budget. Well at least mine!

Hands0n
11th June 2008, 01:19 PM
If anyone needs a loan for a £99 iPhone 3G they'd better stick with a Tesco's PAYG special :D