View Full Version : New N70 Due Q3

Ben
27th April 2005, 03:40 PM
Find out more information on the Nokia N70 here: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000333041516/

The official Nokia page is here: http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.html?loc=inside,main_n70

3g-g
27th April 2005, 11:17 PM
Here's the press release:

Nokia N70 is part of the Nokia Nseries high performance multimedia range

Amsterdam, Cancun, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur - Nokia today introduced the Nokia N70 multimedia, a beautifully designed, compact and easy-to-use 3G smartphone with versatile mobile photography, personal productivity and entertainment features. Incorporating a complete smartphone feature set, as well as a 2 megapixel camera, flash and front camera for video calling, the Nokia N70 comes fully equipped with stereo FM radio, a digital music player and new 3D games.

"The Nokia N70 perfectly illustrates our commitment to offer powerful, all-inclusive handsets that aid people in their daily lives. In addition to advanced smartphone and entertainment features, mobile photography is extremely easy and enjoyable with the elegant Nokia N70," said Joe Coles, Director of imaging product marketing at Nokia. "The number one reason why people today purchase new handsets is the camera. Indeed, we foresee that by the end of 2005, over half a billion people worldwide will own a camera phone."

Easy mobile photography

The slide and shoot design makes mobile photography fast and simple. The rear camera slide reveals and automatically activates the 2 megapixel camera, ready to instantly shoot photos or video. The intuitive slide is complemented with an integrated flash, 20x zoom capability and a range of capture scene settings for optimizing image quality in various environments, including Scenery, Portrait, Night, and Sports. Furthermore, the dedicated shutter key on the side of the phone enables users to capture images like they would with a regular camera, allowing for greater stability and ease of use.

The storage, management and organization of images and video clips is convenient and efficient with the Nokia N70. With the Nokia XpressTransfer storing solution, all new photos and video clips can be automatically copied to the PC. Photo albums created on the phone are also automatically saved in similar albums on the PC. Furthermore, the Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition software offers users an efficient way for organizing or editing photos and video clips on the PC.

The new improved rotating Gallery provides for enhanced browsing of images and video clips. Images can, for example, be organized into slideshows, with the viewing experience further heightened with added background music. Images and video clips can also be instantly printed from the Gallery with the Nokia XpressPrint printing solution using a USB cable, wirelessly over Bluetooth connectivity, or using the Reduced Size Dual Voltage MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC).

Smart productivity

An excellent and powerful tool for personal and professional information management, the Nokia N70 offers a full set of smartphone features, including very easy-to-set up email functionality with extensive attachment support, Internet browser, video streaming and 3G-enabled features such as two-way video calling* and video sharing*. Furthermore, additional applications can be installed from various sources**, while organizer information can easily be synchronized with compatible PCs.

Entertainment on the move

Equipped with a digital music player with stereo audio, FM radio and support for Visual Radio, the compact 126 gram Nokia N70 also doubles as a great pocketable music device. For an even more playful multimedia experience, the Nokia N70 supports S60 and Java 2D and 3D games, some of which are pre-installed in the phone or on the standard in-box RS-MMC.

Measuring just 108.8 x 53 x 17.5 mm (95.9 cc), the Nokia N70 is the smallest ever 2 megapixel 3G smartphone based on the leading Series 60 Platform. The Nokia N70 is expected to be available in the third quarter of 2005. Additionally, a variant of the Nokia N70 for EDGE (Enhanced Data Rate for GSM Evolution) markets will be available at a later date.

*To check the availability and cost of the service, contact your network operator or service provider.
**Users are advised to install applications only from trusted sources.

About Nokia Nseries
Nokia Nseries is a range of high performance multimedia devices that delivers unparalleled mobile multimedia experiences by combining the latest technologies with stylish design and ease of use. With Nokia Nseries products, consumers can use a single device to enjoy entertainment, access information and to capture and share pictures and videos, whenever and wherever they want.

3g-g
27th April 2005, 11:19 PM
And here's a couple of pictures to give you some idea of scale.

bagpuss102002
3rd July 2005, 06:18 PM
any idea what networks it will be released on at all?

Ben
3rd July 2005, 06:31 PM
The entire NSeries will most likely be released on all the networks - any 3G operator would have to be completely stupid not to want these handsets in their range. It's more a case of when than if. Lovely little phone that, the NSeries is going to be big.

whatleydude
18th August 2005, 11:39 PM
I really really like the look of the N70.. think it could be the next step for me after my 6630..

gorilla
20th August 2005, 10:55 PM
What do you reckon, is this the natural successor to the 6680 or will there be a better phone come May 2006. See I'm already thinking about my next phone! I love my 6680, I like it being symbian and having flash memory, but my next phone will get me access to the net so I might have to follow Ben and get it on Orange.

Ben
21st August 2005, 01:08 AM
I don't think the N70 is a worthwhile upgrade from the 6680. It's more of an enhanced 6680 by the look of the spec. It's a nice looking phone though, no doubt, and those of us with more spare cash than sense may well consider it! Come May 2006 there will definitely be superior phones on the market. Many!

The need for data on these devices is great though - almost every application I use is data centric, so that switch to Orange (or Vodafone?) may well be a good idea.

whatleydude
22nd August 2005, 03:48 PM
There is the new Sharp 903 to consider..

But, being the Nokia fiend that I am - the N70 is slowly becoming my realistic next choice.

I'm surprised at the size mind - it looks about the same size as the old Sony T610.
I expected it to be as big as my 6630..

Jon3G
22nd August 2005, 05:03 PM
Its going to be pricey and for the extra cost I dont beleive it will be worth getting over a 6680 apart from the new factor

Ben
22nd August 2005, 05:16 PM
I think the operating system will be a big plus or minus factor when considering the N70. If it's anything like the N90 then the operating system will be visually nicer and hopefully more responsive than the 6680.

MORPH
22nd August 2005, 06:20 PM
.....and those of us with more spare cash than sense may well consider it! ......

You for example? ;)

I would've liked them to do away with the pencil key thing, does anyone ever use that? I don't think I've ever used the one on my 6680 once!

Ben
22nd August 2005, 06:38 PM
I use it to make the backlight come back on while watching OTV! ;) I think you can use it to copy and paste too... but it does seem like a waste of a button.

whatleydude
22nd August 2005, 07:09 PM
Ok.. its just me who uses it then?!
lol..

I think its a handy little thing. Don't know if its worth its own button so I see your point but I do use it a fair bit..

Thing is - the Wife's got a 6680 and its nice and everything but if given the choice (and if both were offered on a free upgrade) you'd have to pick the N70 everytime surely... ?

timothythetim
22nd August 2005, 11:24 PM
I didn't use it all...and then i found out what it does - now I use it all the time!

whatleydude
31st August 2005, 02:11 PM
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere but just in case:

Vodafone have this down as a September release.

Their new catalogue is out tomorrow so I'll double check and get back to you..

Does anyone know if it has the usual pop-port on the bottom of the phone?
I would imagine it does - but I haven't seen anything that confirms it y'know?

whatleydude
7th September 2005, 03:42 PM
Heard from Vodafone today:

Dear Mr Whatley

Thank you for your mail enquiring about the N70 Nokia .

Re:

I have checked to see when this phone is due to be released and have an
"estimated"date of 19th September 2005. Please be advised this is
only an estimation and you will need to call us nearer the time to confirm
when they will be available to purchase.

If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to
contact us.

Kind Regards,

Rekha Tholoj
Vodafone Customer Services
Vodafone Limited

So there you go..

solo12002
7th September 2005, 07:59 PM
" Kind Regards,

Rekha Tholoj
Vodafone Customer Services
Vodafone Limited "

Is this a overseas Call centre or local guy??

Ben
7th September 2005, 08:19 PM
I reckon one of their outsourced call centres might be abroad, but it doesn't seem to affect the level of customer service provided in the slightest. Apparently they don't have any call centres outside the UK, including the outsourced ones, but it matters not.

Jon3G
7th September 2005, 10:50 PM
I think its only the email and white mail support that is out in india. I have recently joined a out sourcer as a project manager and we provide some CS solution for Vodafone

whatleydude
8th September 2005, 09:40 AM
I've no idea - but they replied within 2hrs of my original email.

Irrespective of where it is - I thought the service was quite good.
Plus - this is the first time that anyone's actually given me a date.
Even if it is a tentative one.

Also, given that its liable to be delayed... My upgrade is 10/10/05 so fingers crossed I'll be one of the first people to get one!

Woohoo!
:)

Although.. if anyone here beats me to it (which I'm sure you will - lol) then feel free to write a mini-review so I know if I'm making the right decision!

;)

Jon3G
8th September 2005, 10:03 AM
So far the dates given by Voda for release dates have been spot on.

whatleydude
16th September 2005, 03:04 PM
So today I called Vodafone back to check if the N70 was still coming out on Sept 19th.

They said Nope! Its been put back to Oct 11th.

Now that's absolutely fine by me as my upgrade day is Oct 10th.
But the dude I spoke to went on to say that sometimes the stores get them earlier so if I really wanted one - it might be best to check the Vodafone shop nearer that time.

So today - during my lunch break - I took a stroll up and down High St Kensington and asked a few of the shops if they had the N70 yet and if not when would they get it?

The Results:

Carphone Warehouse:
Nah mate, late october I reckon. It says October in the book but I don't reckon we'll see it before Hallowe'en.

Phones 4 U:
Thats one of the Nseries isn't it? *I nod* Yeah mate, not getting them 'til January(!)..

Orange:
November, possible October but its doubtful.

Vodafone:
Slightly different here, I know a couple of the staff and they're normally pretty straight with me.
My mate Vanessa says the official date is September 19th. But they normally add a week or two onto that just in case. She's gonna call me if this changes.

Three:
Waited for 10mins, everyone was busy. There were a couple of irate customers so I ended up leaving before I could ask anyone.

T-Mobile:
They don't have a shop on High St Ken!

So - for those of you who are interested...
On average - I think we're looking at mid-October time.
But - as ever - I'll keep you informed!

Hands0n
16th September 2005, 04:36 PM
LOL @ Phones4U - I see they're still calling Customers "Mate". Sorry to digress, but that is precisely one of the two reasons I will not shop with them. The other is that they do insist in talking "at" The Customer.

I, too, have a contract expiry in mid-October (18th iirc) and I had intended in jumping on the 6680 bandwagon - but my idiot genes got the better of me and I bought one on eBay. But the bonus side of all that is that I am able to wait for the mobile ops to figure out what theyre going to do and me, I make my decision in Jan 2006 when my other (3) contract comes up for renewal. I dont want to *pay* for an N70, I want it bundled into the contract (supposedly free and gratis).

But I think I want the N91 ........

whatleydude
16th September 2005, 05:03 PM
LOL - I know what you mean about Phones 4 U mate.
I didn't check O2 either by the way - for the same reason!

Moving on..

Y'see - I thought I wanted the N91 too.
But.. well - the only difference really I think is the size of the memory isn't it?
..and of late, the N70 has grown on me.

I know I'm going to get a 1gb dv rs-mmc when they finally hit the streets/web and that'll be enough for me I reck.

I dunno.
I need a new toy. I know I'll be able to get the N70 'gratis' on a rolling contract.
And I guess I'm impatient.
The N91 is a while down the road yet and I don't think I can wait.
Then again - I never know with a phone until I get a proper feel of it y'know?
ie: How it sits in my pocket, how heavy it is, how my fingers like the buttons etc...
All the stuff you can't know until you've actually got the phone in your hand.
So I might pick up the N70 and go: "EUGH! TAKE IT AWAY!".. its doubtful, but it could happen.. so we'll see!
Although I pretty much told Vanessa in Vodafone that as soon as she's got one in her shop, I'll have it!
;)

I've got a 6630. I use it to its full extent in everyway that I can.
I know I'll do the same with the N70 too.

*ramble over*
:)

Hands0n
16th September 2005, 06:14 PM
*Nods* Hmmm, the thing is ........ in looking at the specs blow by blow ... I wonder if I'm not hankering after just an updated 6680 (as alluded to earlier in this thread). To be sure, the N70 is a pretty li'l thing alright. Arrrrrgh, decisions, decisions .... so much candy in the shop these days, and more to come.

I have not been a diehard Nokia fan, anything but really. But I must admit that I am enjoying my re-association with Nokia in the form of the 6680. I reckon that if the N70 was out earlier this year I'd have eschewed the 6680 for the N70.

I've yet to begin to fully utilise the 6680 though. I've only just got my Bluetooth headset replaced (it died on me) and the 6680 handles it very well indeed. Been looking around Staples at some Pictbridge photo printers too. What I really need is Internet access to exploit the 6680 properly - unfortunately its on 3 atm.

Jon3G
16th September 2005, 06:32 PM
well it should be out on Voda from Monday so we will see

whatleydude
19th September 2005, 01:33 PM
Just phoned Vodafone on 08700 700 191 and asked them..
The phone is apparently out today.

I'm going to go and check the shop in 30mins!
(my lunch break)

COME ON!

whatleydude
19th September 2005, 02:49 PM
Double Post Alert!

So yeah - just checked the Vodafone store.

They were expecting them in today but after chasing around this morning their now not going to get them until Oct 11th.

*sigh*

Jon3G
19th September 2005, 02:56 PM
having them in today and having them in on the 11th of October is a bit different

Plus the 11th is a tuesday, stange day to launch