View Full Version : Guardian - Protection for your S60 in case it gets lost/stolen

Hands0n
15th May 2007, 11:03 PM
I found this interesting bit of software on the web tonight

http://www.symbian-toys.com/guardian.aspx

I must admit to a certain thrill at being able to spy on the thieving git who has knicked the handset - being able to report to the Feds who he's been texting and talking to using my handset. No doubt I'd be prosecuted for spying on the thief for violating his Hoooman Rites...... Grrrrr.

The blurb says .....

Guardian is the new antitheft system for Symbian Series 60 devices.
Every time you switch on your mobile telephone, Guardian proceeds with authentication of the inserted sim card; if authentication fails, Guardian send a notification sms message to a previously set telephone number.
In addition, the system features remote control functions, i.e. deleting your photographs/phone book/text messages/video/audio data in case of loss or theft of your mobile phone (see Plugins section).

Please NOTE that all the sms sent / received by Guardian will not notified in any way to the user, no icons, no lights, no sounds, no vibro, nothing visibile in inbox/sent/outbox messages folder, and of course, no traces left in logs.

The software is "Donationware" - the minimum you need to donate to turn on the spying bit is €3 (EUR). I'm sure you'd pay squillions more for commercial software, if such even exists.....

More on the weblink above.

If anyone has experience of this software please do tell.

Usual disclaimers - not connected with the authors in any way whatsoever ...

miffed
16th May 2007, 08:18 AM
There was a similar app for Windows mobile Back in the late 1920's - it's about time symbian caught up
Excellent idea though - I just wonder how "useful" this information will be to the police - or more to the point , will they be bothered enough to do anything about it ?
I think the only time solutions like this are going to help properly is when they become standard on all handsets and the theives become aware - then it won't be worthwhile for them to nick phones in the first place

Ben
16th May 2007, 11:29 AM
There was a similar app for Windows mobile Back in the late 1920's - it's about time symbian caught up
I'm hating you just a little bit ;)

Guardian sounds very interesting - though one would need to have a lot of trust in such a powerful application. If anyone does try it, I'd be interested to hear how they get on also :D

miffed
16th May 2007, 11:33 AM
Hey , I've switched to symbian now , what more do you want :D

The only phones I use regularly are an N80 , E61 , & N95 (or will do soon)

The only WM device I have now is the Virgin Lobster TV thingy !