View Full Version : Re-watching the iPhone introduction

Ben
21st May 2007, 09:18 AM
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/

So, I watched the iPhone introduction again last night.

It would be safe to say that I had forgotten just how breathtaking the user interface is on this device.

Particularly notable is when Steve Jobs receives a call while listening to some music. The music fades out, and Steve talks. The caller asks for a photo, so while talking Steve emails it to him. The caller asks if he'd like to go to the cinema, so while talking Steve opens Safari and checks the cinema listings. Finally the call is ended and the music fades back in.

If the final product multi-tasks that well then, blimey.

Also worth a note are the in-call functions, particularly the ease of conference calling and switching between multiple callers at the same time.

Most 'impressive' has to be the on-the-fly manipulation of images using two fingers on the screen.

Most 'funky' has to be cover flow, and the iPhone's automatic detection of whether you're holding it landscape or portrait.

Steve also did mention, as I remembered, that they'd have 3G products in the works - they're on the GSM bandwagon going along the same roadmap.

Simply remarkable. Reminds me as to why the LG Prada and all the other clones just aren't a patch on, what must be, the ultimate pocket communicator of all time. (touchscreen keyboard performance pending! :p)

3g-g
21st May 2007, 11:30 AM
Well, as it's now been FCC approved for release in the US, it looks like the European operator of choice may have been decided if el Reg's sources are good.

The iPhone and T-Mobile's web n walk, a nice combination for a data-centric device if I do say so myself!

While the FCC report spells good news for consumers in the US, Irish customers will likely have to wait a while before getting their hands on the iPhone. The Irish Times said on Tuesday reports that the iPhone media player from Apple may not be available initially in Ireland when it launches in Europe later this year, if Apple signs its anticipated European distribution deal with T-Mobile. The German telco, which has no relationship with any Irish mobile network, is believed to be the favourite instead of Vodafone to land the deal.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/21/apple_iphone_launch/

@NickyColman
21st May 2007, 11:52 AM
Just take not if you watch the Key Note again, in the background on the large display it shows the iPhone connected to iTunes. It lists the usual media types, Music, Games, Videos etc.. but if you look very closely there is new category called "Ringtones".

If thats the case, could iTunes be preparing to launch iPhone ringtones for purchase? 79p is a damsite cheaper than £2.50 + that you pay from the networks!

Gentlemen, start your rumouring!!!

Ben
21st May 2007, 12:33 PM
With any luck we'll be able to select our own iTunes songs and 'clip' them into ringtones - you never know ;)

miffed
21st May 2007, 12:52 PM
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/

Particularly notable is when Steve Jobs receives a call while listening to some music. The music fades out, and Steve talks. The caller asks for a photo, so while talking Steve emails it to him. The caller asks if he'd like to go to the cinema, so while talking Steve opens Safari and checks the cinema listings. Finally the call is ended and the music fades back in.

Of course, it is worth noting that none of this is going be possible on a 2.5G connection ( is it ? didn't think you could do 2.5g GPRS & Voice simaltanously ? ) ..this would strengthen the case for sorting out a 3G version , otherwise the not only would performance be poor , but also functionality would be reduced as well

The only thing that I am completely unimpressed with , is the notion that we won't be able to install 3rd Party apps - this is a real kick in the nads IMO , and all of a sudden this "wonder device" becomes a bit of a lemon
Will probably still get one though !

bsrjl1
21st May 2007, 01:48 PM
The data was over WiFi. You can't use GPRS/EDGE while in a call, unfotunately.

Ben
21st May 2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah, all the data was being routed over WiFi, but 3G would be great. Just a matter of time on that one.

Re: third party applications - this is a bit of a grey area to be sure, especially in terms of Java/Flash. Apple may well create a development kit for hooking into the iPhone's OS X-based underpinnings in due course.

Hands0n
21st May 2007, 07:27 PM
Apple iPhone + T-Mobile Web N Walk - ooh, suits you sir :D What a remarkable combination that would be, and why wouldn't Apple use the more pragmatic [in data terms] mobile operator in the UK/Europe? I definitely like the sound of that particular rumour.

My contract with T is up in October (I can upgrade in September) and I tell ya, if the rumour is substantiated by then I'll be hanging on for the iPhone with them.

I do rather think the Apple will have a Dev Kit for the iPhone out in no time. It just does not make sense to promote its OS X origins and then release a fully locked down "appliance". There is probably a wealth of OS X stuff that could be ported to the iPhone.

The MMI on the iPhone is astonishing and seemingly very intuitive.

Apple have got to do something to address issues like the sealed-in-for-life battery. Phones give batteries a hammering and the need to be able to user-replace is essential. I think they have guffed seriously on this one point alone!

But when all is said and done - I'd have one tomorrow, warts and all.

Ben
21st May 2007, 09:51 PM
The batteries will be replacable, I would imagine, but only 'officially' by sending the unit back to Apple/going to an Apple store. Pretty much iPod, and, apart from some fuss back in the early days, the model now seems to be working well.

I'd heard the SIM might be soldered right on also... but Jobs points out the SIM slot in the presentation ;)

Ben
22nd May 2007, 12:42 PM
By the look of it I'm not the only one who's getting excited about what the iPhone has to offer the mobile phone industry:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/22/mobile_phones_lose_users/

getti
26th May 2007, 09:43 PM
Just watching this and i have to admit Apple have a real trick of removing money from my bank account!. iPhone will be a purchase for me when it comes out

maxspank
27th May 2007, 08:12 PM
It's funny cos it's true:
http://weirdweirdworld.com/images/da073b88dc55f069662f2bca07b55158.gif

Ben
9th June 2007, 01:00 PM
It doesn't support MMS (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=312037) :( I love MMS :(

Not going to stop me getting one, though ;) I'm so sick of mobile phone OS's!

miffed
9th June 2007, 01:33 PM
It doesn't support MMS (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=312037) :( I love MMS :(

Just wanted to mention that I can send MMS's from my Prada phone ;)

Has anyone written a book on all the things the iPhone can't manage ?

( I'm just going to take the battey out of my Prada phone - why ?
........coz I can :D )

@NickyColman
9th June 2007, 01:42 PM
Ok thats the straw that broke the camels back!

Without MMS i'm not interested in the iPhone! Why wont it let you do that? Why dont they allow you to instant message?

I dont think this phone is a revolution anymore. I think its just an iPod that can phone your mates. Thats all. Wheres the killer app?

I cant beleive im turning against apple like this!!

miffed
9th June 2007, 01:50 PM
I will buy one , no doubt , but it is simply a gimmicky phone with a snazzy interface

I will buy one for use as an iPod , music and photos , and perhaps a little email use ......

And it will be a bit of a wow phone that impresses my mates (in the same way that the Prada phone does now )

But as for Jobs claim that it s "5 years ahead of anything out there... "

Erm , no ! - it is actually a few years or so BEHIND in a lot of respects (Data , camera etc , MMS , IM ) - yes , it's good , and I'll buy it simply because it is from "Apple" - but it is hardly revoloutionary !

@NickyColman
9th June 2007, 02:05 PM
Its just pathetic. With a large memory card, my N95 is a capable music device. It beats the iPhone on everything bar interface. I simply have lost all interest in the iPhone. It seems like the Motorola RAZR, all looks but no brains. Sure it has a good OS, but whats the point in using it because its beaten by the likes of the N95.

Im furious that they are taking the industry back two years rather than forward!

Ben
9th June 2007, 11:34 PM
A fast OS, fast, full web browser and full-on email are nothing to be sniffed at. Linear SMS could also be pretty damn excellent. The jury's still out, guys and gals, and anything could happen between now and when the iPhone hits our shores!

Just a little reminder - WWDC keynote with Steve Jobs on Monday!