View Full Version : Apple & T-Mob

3g-g
21st May 2007, 11:32 AM
A device ready to make best use of the most sensible data pricing in the UK today? If reports are to be believed it would seem that way!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/21/apple_iphone_launch/

While the FCC report spells good news for consumers in the US, Irish customers will likely have to wait a while before getting their hands on the iPhone. The Irish Times said on Tuesday reports that the iPhone media player from Apple may not be available initially in Ireland when it launches in Europe later this year, if Apple signs its anticipated European distribution deal with T-Mobile. The German telco, which has no relationship with any Irish mobile network, is believed to be the favourite instead of Vodafone to land the deal.

Ben
21st May 2007, 11:46 AM
Web n Walk on iPhone would be insane - and T-Mobile have a nice hotspot network to boot.

Of course, it's all still speculation - but with the excellent voice functionality on iPhone, excellent SMS functionality and excellent browsing experience, Flext + WnW really would be just perfect.

@NickyColman
21st May 2007, 11:48 AM
In the current climate, I would prefer -T-Mobile to win the iPhone contract. Vodafone, on the whole, are no where near as competative in terms of flexability and data. Orange seem to be concentrating on Windows Mobile handsets at the moment and O2 have no flat rate data packs to speak of.

3 are completely out of the question as they are a pure 3G network.

For a device as data hungry as the iPhone, only flat-rate data packages can do! iPhone combined with Web'n'Walk and perhaps free WiFi access for a year would be the ultimate combination in my view!!!

Now we have to wait!! GRRRRRRR!

bsrjl1
21st May 2007, 12:16 PM
http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/?p=391

Dialaphone reckon it would be free on a £35/month contract.

Ben
21st May 2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah, easily I'd have thought - though retailers/the winning network may well try and charge a premium which isn't totally out of the realm of possibility!

The price is spot on for the features - the dollar amount sounds scary, but, if all the information we have heard is accurate, that was indeed an unsubsidised price meaning potentially great deals here.

Hands0n
21st May 2007, 07:33 PM
£499 and £599 respectively is more like what the unsubsidised price will be. The formula is to replace the $ for a £ and is job done. Noone in the distribution chain bothers with exchange rates, they never have. Far simpler to just replace the currency symbol. So, the notion of the iPhone costing £250 and £300 is completely absurd.

The handsets will definitely be subsidised here - and no doubt I can see them being sold with 24-month contracts at the £35 and above level. There is absolutely no way these are going out on 12-month contracts free, the punter will no doubt have to pay around £200 for one on a 12-month £35 contract. Mind you, I think I'd go for that myself :)

Please God, let it be T-Mobile, Pleeeeeeze :D