View Full Version : EDGE coverage on Orange

jrawson
24th May 2007, 08:13 AM
Hello,

I am trying to find information on EDGE networks in the UK. I have a USA Sony laptop with a built-in GPRS / EDGE modem, however when I use my t-mobile pay/go sim card it only ever gets gprs connection. I want to find out if there are any pay/go sim cards that can access the orange edge networks. I have called orange and the person told me that the pay/go card can't access the edge network, I have to buy some special sim, but I can't see how that is true. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

bsrjl1
24th May 2007, 10:19 AM
You'll be fine with whatever PAYG SIM you can get. Orange CS don't know what they're talking about.

Martin3G
24th May 2007, 11:03 AM
Any Orange SIM is fine although the 2G BTS site you are using must have EDGE hardware installed.

jrawson
24th May 2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks all, does anyone know what the best pay/g sim with orange is? I don't want to pay an arm and a let for data service? T-mobile is the best at £1 per day. But the benifit of getting EDGE service would be wonderful. Does anyone know what EDGE coverage orange has? I haven't seen a coverage map.

3g-g
24th May 2007, 04:18 PM
Not sure if it's still the case, but Orange did have an all you could use PAYG data for £1 per day as well... Also, I don't think Orange detail their coverage maps with EDGE.

Get onto sitefinder, find your local Orange masts and put the site references on here, someone will check if they're EDGE enabled :)

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

jrawson
24th May 2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the information. I have checked the sitefinder website.

I am looking near the center of Basingstoke, and I see there are two orange towers very near where I would use the laptop the most. I will stop into the Orange shop to see if they have any of the £1 data cards any more.

Name of Operator
Orange

Operator Site Ref.
HAM0204

Station Type
Macrocell

Height of Antenna
19.5 Metres

Frequency Range
1800 MHz

Transmitter Power
26.6125 dBW

Maximum licensed power
32 dBW

Type of Transmission
GSM

Name of Operator
Orange

Operator Site Ref.
HAM0204

Station Type
Macrocell

Height of Antenna
19.5 Metres

Frequency Range
2100 MHz

Transmitter Power
25.3 dBW

Maximum licensed power
32 dBW

Type of Transmission
UMTS

jrawson
26th May 2007, 04:05 PM
Hello all. I have purchased a pay/go sim from orange, and I believe I am getting EDGE service. Thanks to all for your suggestions, and comments.

Ben
26th May 2007, 06:00 PM
Excellent, congrats!

3g-g
26th May 2007, 07:27 PM
Try a speed test with one of the various online testers and let us know what speeds you're getting :)

Try and do it out with business hours if you can, make sure you get as much of the frame as you can!