View Full Version : The Death / Suicide of Windows Mobile

miffed
3rd June 2007, 05:28 PM
As many of you know ,I am a fan of WM / HTC devices

I have had a bit off time off of thesed devices though , since buying an e61
So I have had no need to look on the (very helpful) XDA developers site

Today , I had a look on there , and saw this

http://www.xda-developers.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=294142

I realise that this looks straightforward to some , and you are probably thinking "So what's the problem ? - Microsoft are just protecting their interests ? "
And you'd be right , IF Microsoft were capable of selling COMPLETE , WORKING operating systems - but the fact is , they are not very good at it !

As the article points out - Microsoft get their licence money for every device capable of running WM , so it's not as if these ROM's are taking money out of Microsofts pocket - in fact I'd guess , if anything they would put MORE money in MS's pocket ( If an MS device had issues - as most of them do , I would be more inclined to buy it , knowing that soloutions are available )

I was pondering buying an Advantage - but I don't think I'll bother if I have to rely on MS ironing bugs out :(

Hands0n
3rd June 2007, 06:17 PM
I guess that something like this was completely inevitable as M$ increasingly tried to protect its Intellectual Copyright. That the XDA Developers got away with their ROMs site for so long is a bit of a testimony to them and an indictment of M$.

I can see M$'s point of view - and making exceptions for one group or another is going to be a legal minefield for them. Who do they say "Yes" or "No" to? Setting precedents that can be argued against them in the courts. Much easier to just say "No" to everyone.

I think it is perfectly safe to suggest to anyone buying an M$ OS-based product that they entirely expect it to have limitations and issues. Windows, as any other OS, has never been bug-free. Even the Linux community have a full-time job on their hands maintaining the respective distribution. But, and here's the rub, the other support and maintenance groups do it so much more effectively than M$ Corp.

Frustrating isn't it!

Ben
3rd June 2007, 11:13 PM
From the master:

"Alan Kay said, people who love software want to do their own hardware," said Jobs.
Ok, so the world wouldn't necessarily be a better place if Microsoft made their own hardware as well as the software, but if you are going to make software for a wide variety of hardware I think it's best to let third parties interact with and customise it.