View Full Version : Mobile Awards

Ben
8th June 2007, 07:20 PM
http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/awards/award-winners/

I was reading my Mobile Awards insert today. Quite interesting! Some of the stuff is online, so do go and have a look.

The Vodafone HSDPA USB Dongle gets a rightful mention (apparently it's selling really well, too - I'd imagine the T-Mobile version is now also selling well if they're promoting it). Voda gets best business network (irrefutable) and T-Mobile scoops best consumer network (also irrefutable). XSeries rightfully gets a mention, and there are some other well thought out results to boot.

Enjoy!

Hands0n
8th June 2007, 08:15 PM
While I concur with the T-Mobile best consumer network I also have to question why Vodafone got best business network. What is the criteria?

For sure, Vodafone have been a longstanding and sometimes sole player in the mobile data for a price, a very high price. The corporates have always gravitated towards Vodafone for that reason - but because of the cost have always rationed its use out.

But look at todays picture. T-Mobile have a fully HDSPA network that has comprehensive coverage in the UK. I hope Voda did not win on their International availability - that is too expensive to even contemplate using! And so it makes me question why they didn't win outright; T-Mobile have a fairly ubiquitous network, and a world-leading approach to Data Tariffs, a Customer Service to be proud of and no end of applaudable plusses these days.

This award just intrigues me as to how they arrived at the conclusion.

But all the same, well done [again] Vodafone - but watch your back, the playground is no longer all yours :)

Ben
8th June 2007, 10:29 PM
I think having the datacards out first, and then the HSDPA dongle out first, will have gone a long way to the business award given the strength of their 3G network right from the early days. Their business accounts for SME's are also excellent - adding and removing products is as easy as pie with next day delivery and a dedicated business support team!

miffed
9th June 2007, 07:45 AM
While I concur with the T-Mobile best consumer network I also have to question why Vodafone got best business network. What is the criteria?

Mate , if you click the link Ben put up , there is a little explanation for each award - For example ,

Award Winners

Award : Business operator

Winner : Vodafone

Still number one by a long way, was the view of the panel. Vodafone is excellent for b2b.

The panel was impressed by Vodafones dedication to improving its position in the b2b market, and in particular the SME market, even after years of domination. New initiatives, such as a move into retail-based b2b sales that seems to be paying off, swung it for the judges.

The panel noted that the operator had bought several companies this year to broaden its portfolio of b2b products and services.

Vodafone has also bucked an industry trend by successfully using retail operations to target SME customers through in-store business centres in PC World stores, and increased the number of business advisers in its own stores.

Vodafone also saw strong sales of HSDPA dongles (phenomenal success) and its 3G laptop datacards (top for coverage and speed). The panel did have one concern about Vodafones performance: Vodafone has concentrated heavily on the business sector, but is it buying market share?

However, the judges couldnt ignore the fact that Vodafone has offered customers what they want and successfully targeted new SME customers through retail and other channels. Its clearly the market leader, was the panels view. Its miles ahead, especially with its business centres.

Although having said that ,3G datacards & Dongles may as well be Chocolate teapots if there is no HSDPA signal ! - if you compare the two strategies -

Vodafone - sell the equipment first , then start getting the Network ready to use it
or
T-mobile - Get the newtork done , then sell the equipment to access it

....... I'd have thought T-mobiles approach would be more favoured ?

My personal experience of Vodafone means I wouldn't let them ANYWHERE NEAR any kind of business interest !! , but I realise I seem to have been unluckier than most with this

miffed
9th June 2007, 08:28 AM
if the judges had any criticism of T-Mobile, it was that the operator had ‘so-so customer service’, compared with other operators.

Having experienced the CS of all of the Operators last year , I cannot see where this is coming from at all !