View Full Version : S60 v3 Browser shutdown ?

miffed
9th June 2007, 01:58 PM
I have now noticed this on Three different phones , E61 , N80 & N95

I thought it was an E61 thing to start with , as I didn't notice it untill I flashed up with firmware 3.XX

But I have now noticed it on all three phones , the browser will just shut down with no warning whenerver it feels like it - Does anyone else get this

If not , I am wondering if it is a T-mobile thing (i.e. something to do with the data connection

Anyone else get this ? I was led to believe Symbian was more stable than this :rolleyes:

@NickyColman
9th June 2007, 04:27 PM
I have had it a number of times on the N95. Its usually when i have it running in the background. I wonder if the phone runs out of RAM and simply drops the app?

I was hoping the -T-Mobile version was more stable than the O2 version im using with an Orange sim.

Ben
9th June 2007, 11:26 PM
It could possibly be lack of RAM, yes. NSeries handsets are still lacking in the RAM department, and I can't quite figure out why!

Hands0n
10th June 2007, 12:44 AM
It is almost certainly a lack of memory, or more likely memory leakage on the S60. I've found that any kind of prolonged usage of the web browser on both S60 and S40 results in unpredicatable behavior, even the handset crashing, rebooting or just locking solid requiring battery removal.

Make sure you have used the NSU to ensure your S60 is at the latest version for that particular branding. My N95 is so much more stable now its on V11.0.026 - it arrived with V10.0.15 or somesuch early number!

miffed
10th June 2007, 07:32 AM
The RAM thing sounds right to me

Another (related perhaps ) issue , is that when I try to do something (anything) occasionally , I'll get

"Memory full , close some apps " - so I'll hold down the menu key ,and the only app running would be "standby" :mad: surely that's not right ? my old WM devices could run 4-5 apps in the background without any noticeable slowdown ?

How does memory leakage work then :rolleyes: ? - is there any way of monitoring it ?

Hands0n
10th June 2007, 08:20 AM
Typically Memory Leakage works like this - When an application uses memory for temprorary storage it should release it back to the OS when it is finished with it, either while running or when the application finishes (closes down). Some badly written applications do not do this.

Otherwise, the actual OS itself does not have a wel-written or efficient memory reclaim routines. And so the same effect happens, memory is effectively "leaked" away and the only way to get it back is to restart the OS.

Like any computing platform - low memory results in an unstable system in S60.

I think it is deplorable that the apparent memory leakage continues in successive versions of S60. There really is no excuse at all for such a well known and understood phenomena to be apparent in the OS. It does nothing for the reputation of so-called smartphones. WM seems to handle memory so much better than S60 - probably due to its maturity.

S60 is, I'm afraid, not a lot more than a toy OS in this respect. Not the serious comuting platform that Nokia would like us to believe it is.

The continuing ridiculously small amounts of RAM that they fit into S60 handsets is another significant downer to the entire technology platform. In this day and age, we should be seeing hundreds of megabytes of RAM, if not gigabytes!

miffed
10th June 2007, 09:11 AM
The thing is , the ONLY third party app I am runnng ATM is Googlemail - I took MailForExchange off as it was sapping too much battery power - and even that doesn't get a huge amount of use , in fact , I'd say that I have definately seen the "memory full" appear when I haven't even used Googlemail since power up
Which means it must be the apps within the OS / FP that are causing this
problem
Thats pretty poor IMO :confused:

Hands0n
10th June 2007, 01:05 PM
*nods* - it is very poor indeed! I really do have quite a contempt for memory leakage in 2007. It is sloppy programming, there is simply no need for it at all. But in mobile phone case, most people will simply re-start the phone, grumble and get on with life. Thus Nokia have little to no reason to even begin to research the necessary fix for it. And so these kind of problems will become a "feature" of the OS.