View Full Version : Back to Windows Mobile

miffed
17th June 2007, 09:16 AM
Ah well , I have given Symbian a fair try (E61 , N80 , N95 ) and decided I know where my bread is buttered !

Symbian is "nice" and all that , but I cannot get my head around this "one app at a time" lark , especially when it considers the phone log , and "standby" to be an app !
I am a poser by nature (with my metro background ) - and it has struck me that virtually EVERY time I have tried to show the features of my N95 off, it lets me down , either with a freeze or a "memory full" message
Running push mail seems to sap the battery within a few hours , whereas on my Universal or Tytn - it didn't seem to make much difference to battery life at all
It is a shame, because I do like the N95 , but the random browser shut downs seem to come just when you least want them
All my problems seem to be across the board with all 3 devices , so I can't really blame a particular set of firmware either
Of the Three devices I've used ,I have to conclude the E61 is probably the most "usable" out of them , and it seem to run out of RAM slightly less often than the other two

Anyway , thats me now on the look out for either a Tytn or a Universal - I did wan't an ameo , but at the moment the prices (even on ebay) are a little ridiculous
I look forward to being able to open my web browser at the same time as my contacts list and not have the phone whine at me :D

Hands0n
17th June 2007, 10:27 AM
:) Yes, Symbian does have quite some way to go ..... My hope is with Linux :D

gorilla
20th June 2007, 09:07 AM
I've a mate who has or had one of those SPV things. Isn't that windows mobile?
Well he said it is / was and he's says it's pants (can't remember if he upgraded. He's one of those on a stupidly expensive tariff, but likes orange and is ignorant to all other offers!). Anyway, battery life aside, it wasn't very stable and told me not to get one. He works in IT (systems analyst) so thinks he's knows about these things :D in my experience all those who work in IT... better leave that there :p

miffed
20th June 2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah , I know what I am going back to , I have had an XDA , XDA II , XDA exec , Qtek s100 , MDA Vario , MDA Pro , SPV m3100 & HTC Monet
I agree they *can* be unstable , but TBH I have had VERY few problems with these devices , the simple thing is ....showing a few photos to my mates - a simple task on WM , yet on Symbian I am usually told I don't have enough memory because "too many apps" are open :(

...The other thing that has put me off the N95 is that EVERYONE seems to have one ! - it is getting a bit tedious seeing N95's everywhere, it makes me feel common :D

gorilla
20th June 2007, 09:35 AM
...The other thing that has put me off the N95 is that EVERYONE seems to have one ! - it is getting a bit tedious seeing N95's everywhere, it makes me feel common :D

A couple of years ago you could get a really good phone and have that wow factor. Not now. what gets me is that half (or probably more) of the N95 users have no clue what it potentially can do. "it's got GPS mate"

I was showing off my E65 last night to my mates (the camera is pants BTW, in fact it's not even a real camera:mad:) and they all thought it was a nice phone, one of mates was comparing it to the N95, but said it was a right chunky thing. Reminds me off the N80.

miffed
20th June 2007, 06:53 PM
Well, just bought myself an XDA exec (again - 3rd one I've had !) of ebay

Was going to go with a Tytn , but decided a Universal would do the job , as I wanted the bigger screen

Looking forward to getting it , strange really as I have already owned two of these , but I am quite excited about getting hold of it (testimony to the device really )
First thing I am going to do is open several apps at once - just because I can :D

Hands0n
20th June 2007, 07:22 PM
Beware with the TyTN - the MS Office apps are read-only. You cannot actually create a new document. You can do some limited editing of an already created document. The workaround is to carry one of each document type with nothing in it, edit it up and then do a save as. This is Windows Mobile Apps crippled for the Lord alone knows what reason. Ruining an otherwise rather nice Windows Mobile phone in many respects.

I can vouch for the SPV-M500 and the Lobster variants of Windows Mobile - these are as good as it gets, and that is pretty much all that can be said with such a small format. Compared to my PDA (iPAQ) Windows on a phone is very basic. But it does, as Miffed is oft wont to say, beat the spots of Symbian in very many ways, especially that it handles the already meagre memory rather well, whereas Symbian pours it away down the drain repeatedly!

miffed
20th June 2007, 07:43 PM
Beware with the TyTN - the MS Office apps are read-only. You cannot actually create a new document. You can do some limited editing of an already created document. The workaround is to carry one of each document type with nothing in it, edit it up and then do a save as. This is Windows Mobile Apps crippled for the Lord alone knows what reason. Ruining an otherwise rather nice Windows Mobile phone in many respects.

I can vouch for the SPV-M500 and the Lobster variants of Windows Mobile - these are as good as it gets, and that is pretty much all that can be said with such a small format. Compared to my PDA (iPAQ) Windows on a phone is very basic. But it does, as Miffed is oft wont to say, beat the spots of Symbian in very many ways, especially that it handles the already meagre memory rather well, whereas Symbian pours it away down the drain repeatedly!

Thats strange, I had the SPV m3100 and I am sure I was able to create documents on there ? unless this was specific to the HTC rom ?

I pondered the Ameo / advantage for a while - but decided there weren't huge advantages (do you see what I did there ? :D ) over the Universal - OK ,a bit more RAM /ROM -but IMO the Universal flies with what it does have , so thats not a problem
8GB hard drive ? I'll get an 8GB SD card !
Not too bothered about the built in GPS - got an external one anyway , so I'll use that thanks
HSPDA ? I will probably keep the N95 and use it as a modem if I need fast data - but otherwise Vanilla 3G will suffice

I am really chuffed with my new purchase , and wish I hadn't sold my last universal !

Hands0n
20th June 2007, 10:19 PM
Thats strange, I had the SPV m3100 and I am sure I was able to create documents on there ? unless this was specific to the HTC rom ?

It does rather seem to be specific to the HTC rom - I've not seen this on any other WM equipped device.