View Full Version : My first week with the iMac!

chagle
17th June 2007, 10:02 AM
Hello all,

Well as a few of you know I've had my iMac for a few days. I've been finding my way around - just messing really.

Things are different to Windows, of course they would be! :-)

But Mac OS X is packed full of so much useful stuff! Been messing around with the address book this morning and sync'ing - Hey, I thought I would of had to type of my address/contact details in.. but o'no -- Sync'ed from my N73 > the MAC - It just worked! - How neat is that??? :)

Still having problems with my Shares - but I can live with that, I just do it manually.

Does anyone know how to stop iTunes from opening Automatically?

Hey, how fast are these things? God.. click on an Icon/Application, it's there!

What I do like about the iMac - it's clean! I've got rid of sooo many cables from under my desk it's great! Even using the built in speakers, quite acceptable (for now :) :) )

Only thing I'm not keen on is Mac Mail - Seems a bit basic! But still got to play with it.

I'm glad I joined .Mac - It's great for sync'ing to the web. Contacts/Mail etc. no matter where you are in the world! Very useful....!

Well off to play with a few more things....

:-)

Hands0n
17th June 2007, 10:25 AM
You've got a long voyage of discovery ahead :D There is so much to get familiar with, and it does not take long on the platform. As you're finding, everything just works.

To stop iTunes from starting up each time you log in just go to Preferences, Accounts, Login Items and uncheck iTunesHelper. That should do it. But iTunes will auto-start if you put a CD in or double-click a media file as it is the default media player in OS X.

If you don't like Mail app you could always start looking at other mailers, Mozilla's Thunderbird is available, Eudora is an old fave, there are literally dozens that you could choose from, many completely free, some for only a modest charge. It all depends on what you need - not sure there is anything quite as broad as Outlook 2003/2007 ... but then Outlook is a right old dog anyway - the only app I've seen in ages that is capable of stalling a 64-bit cpu with 4GB of RAM etc. etc .... Some of the worst single-threaded programming I've ever seen from MS.

3g-g
17th June 2007, 11:36 AM
I have to sing the praises of Thunderbird, while on Windows I moved to that from Outlook, really as I was getting sick of MS apps. It was a refreshing change, and to then take it over to OS X meant no new learning. With most open source apps it's nice a light and does everything I ask of it, can't complain at all. I really would recommend visiting the Mozilla pages and putting Thunderbird, Firefox and Camino onto your Mac. :)

chagle
18th June 2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks you for all your help! :-)

I'm still playing - who needs sleep!!!

miffed
18th June 2007, 10:15 PM
LOL ,

The iMac is truly an object of beauty - it is more that just a computer , and I saw it more as an ornament for the first few weeks !

( ....That is until it got a bit of unremovable dust behind the sreen ....grrr :mad: )

I honestly think the form factor made a huge difference to my experience - much as I appreciate the Mac Pro is a superior (and excellent ) machine , It was the "all in one" space saving , good looking design of the iMac that swayed me to give it a go - of course, now I am converted , I'd buy a Mac pro :D

Much as I don't want my/ our machines to be superceeded , half of me is keen to see what the next iMac will look like , If you look back at the old ones , they all look great IMO , and I often ponder the idea of getting a G3 or a G4 to be virtually an ornament !

Hands0n
18th June 2007, 11:35 PM
Before laying out for the twin Dual Core Mac Pro I did look at the Dual G5 that it superceded. What did it for me was the move away from the PowerPC chipset which was entirely dated and very low performance by comparison with the current Intel CPUs.

But the G3 and G4 were art deco for sure. A friend has one and while he hankers after the sheer performance of the current Mac Pro he is quite tied to the aesthetics of his G4. I think they look rather quaint compared to the raw aluminium that is the Mac Pro of today.

chagle
21st June 2007, 08:53 PM
Hey Guys..

Week 2 well not quite but nearly! Still finding lots of interesting things on the iMac.

I think Aduim is brilliant - What I like about it is the fact you can really customize it! Worth checking out if you haven't already!!

With native Mac OS X - Can you actually burn a .ISO image to CD or DVD. I don't mean the .ISO file but the true image (if you know what I mean! :-) )

Thanks all....

Hands0n
21st June 2007, 11:54 PM
:) It only gets better and better :D I've been doing some real work on my Macbook Pro today - enough playing, its now got to earn its keep! Had a strange inccident with Parallels losing me my Wireless, requiring a re-boot. It could be a coincidence.

To possibly answer your Burn an .ISO question - check this out http://www.mrbass.org/mac/dvdburn/ - this seems to have the way spelled out - the clue is Disk Utility

Edit - this also --> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

Ben
22nd June 2007, 09:18 AM
Using disk utility looks pretty easy - I've never done it but I assumed it'd mean a trip to Disk Utility. Just try not to break anything else! ;)

A lot of Mac users scream about Toast. It's a more consumer-friendly way of managing your burns: http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/overview.html

But it costs money, so if this is a one-off project I wouldn't bother!

chagle
22nd June 2007, 11:51 PM
Edit - this also --> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

This works a treat! So easy too! .. and without any additional software - Mac OS X rocks...!

Burned a .ISO DVD image to DVD and watched it on the iMac - Well had to be done! :-)

Thanks guys for all your input! :-)

miffed
23rd June 2007, 09:27 AM
I am a huge "Toast" fan ( 23stone 2lbs ATM :D )

Currently using the EXCELLENT toast 8 - which I'd recommend to anyone
BUT ..... I should mention there is a freeware "Toast Titanium lite" knocking around - I remember seeing it on a coverdisk of "Mac Format" a few months back - Don't know how restricted it is , but worth a go IMO

chagle
23rd June 2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Miffed,

In my PC/Windows days all those years ago - Or was it last week I bought Nero and never used 90% of the features. Just basic ISO buring/ripping etc. so I'll see how Mac OS X handles my CD/DVD needs - but certainly would consider Toast - Does look quite excellent.

Hands0n
23rd June 2007, 07:07 PM
Safari for Mac has an update available today - also there are a number of System Updates to be installed. Get 'em while they're hot :D

I had a bit of work work to do on the MBP this week - documentation to close off a project I'd just finished. I did it in Neo Office, saved it in native format and then did a save in Word 2003 format and emailed that file to the office where we all work in Office 2003. I had used some of the formatting features of Neo Office, and also the Table of Contents tool. It was nice to see these carried over into the Office 2003 file and were present and functioning perfectly back at the office.

chagle
23rd June 2007, 10:26 PM
I have now totally got used to Safari and I can honestly say I like it. Yes, I saw there was an update - plus a couple of others too.

I have NeoOffice downloaded and installed - again, it just works! That's what seems to be the key words with the Mac "It just works..." -- O'how true that is! God bless the Mac! :-)

Hands0n
23rd June 2007, 10:58 PM
I have NeoOffice downloaded and installed - again

Again ?? :confused: What happened between? ;)

chagle
23rd June 2007, 11:17 PM
Delete the 'again' - I just meant to say like everything else on the Mac - it just works! :-)

Ben
24th June 2007, 03:45 AM
Delete the 'again' - I just meant to say like everything else on the Mac - it just works! :-)
Phew! Glad all's going well there. :D