View Full Version : Vodafone New Data Plans - July 07

solo12002
18th June 2007, 06:44 PM
Any one else seen this new release about the above?

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39287593,00.htm

bsrjl1
18th June 2007, 07:12 PM
£8.50 for a day is a bit steep, but probably cheaper than most hotel wifi! I'll stick with Web&Walk Pro for £20/month (actually £10 now as I didn't upgrade) thanks.

solo12002
18th June 2007, 09:40 PM
Yes I agree but I think you need to remember that is for 24 hours not a 24 hour day, so you can dip in and out of it untill the 24 hours is up, thats my understanding anyway:

Subscribers to this monthly tariff will be able to buy 24 hours of HSDPA or 3G connectivity in certain countries for £8.50. The countries covered are mostly European, but also include the US, Australia and Japan.

Ben
18th June 2007, 10:29 PM
Not bad... not bad at all.

The £25/mo for 3GB is very good value IMHO, as Vodafone's network is pretty damn good.

The £8.50 rate for 1 day abroad is also pretty good... it's not cheap, but it allows people to control their spending and budget ahead of time.

Hands0n
18th June 2007, 11:44 PM
Kyle Whitehill, Vodafone UK's director of enterprise business, called the tariffs "ground-breaking" and said the operator was the "market leader in 3G broadband and as such has a responsibility to the customer to continually harness this insight to innovate and improve our Mobile Connect service".

Oh come on! You can not be serious!! "Ground breaking" - how so? Precisely what new ground is being broken here by the company that is near-last to the table for affordable Data Tariffs (beating only O2 it seems!).

In fact, how does 3GB for £20 compare with the same for £12.50? The only "ground breaking" thats going on here is that its more expensive for pretty much the same - accepted that they allow VoIP over it, but thats all!

I share Ben's thoughts that Vodafone has an industrial strength network in the UK and Europe - but they really have go to understand that, on the home market, there are others who are still doing better than them in terms of value for money.

Yes, I fully accept and appreciate that this is yet another [small] step by Vodafone in the right direction of enabling Data for the masses. But its still quite a way off base - unless and until Data Tariffs commoditise Data usage among the buying population the future for Mobile Data remains bleak - especially in the face of emerging technologies. Or is this Vodafone [and others] hedging their bets to the last possible moment?

gorilla
20th June 2007, 09:14 AM
No this is not good. I've looked around at all the tariffs available (for my new contract) and for me there was no competition to three. T-mobile would have suited better, but vodafone and orange (there's another company called O2, but I'm not even sure they do voice calls!!) did not even come into it. While I'm a consumer and not a business user I'm positive business users can get better data tariffs than that. Why not 1gb for £8.50 or unlimited* as the rest call it. It's not like a gig is anything special these days.

miffed
20th June 2007, 09:26 AM
"market leader in 3G broadband "

If you say so .... :confused::rolleyes:

gorilla
20th June 2007, 09:39 AM
Ha, I might as well be.
But honestly, it's hard to look past O2 for the true market leader. [He says sarcastically]