View Full Version : Cant live without Parallels no more

Hands0n
24th June 2007, 11:27 AM
My migration to the Mac is pretty much complete - I use Windows XP at home/work as little as necessary - although now working for a new firm means that I am chucked back into the Windows world almost completely. But my own business needs are well met by Mac OS X - and Parallels for that time I need to dive back into Windows (such as when supporting that particular environment).

I am running build 3188 which is the latest, although a new version is out and [paid for] upgrades are available.

This version has the Coherence feature which is superb (see attached screen shot) allowing you to mix OS X and Windows windows on the same screen. Sharing information can be as simple as dragging from one and dropping into the other. The effect is quite seamless. In fact, the more I use Coherence the less I think about which environment I am in .... which is, after all, what it should be like.

Parallels virtual machine accesses the Mac's networking quite seamlessly also - it assumes another DHCP address on the LAN.

USB sharing has to be thought about - Parallels will take over a USB device from the Mac, but at that time the device will not be accessible by OS X. It is as if you'd unplugged the device from the Mac. But of course, this then means that you can use Windows with all of your fave or essential USB devices. I've not yet found anything that it won't handle - although the forums do suggest that it is not perfect.

Now, this may all seem like full on heresy to any of the Mac purists reading this. But coming from a Windows world, where work is involved, is never going to be a total conversion. Like it or not, Windows exists in all of its flavours and, unless you are in a pure Mac environment, the chances are that you'll occasionally need to dip a toe in Microsoft waters.

When those situations arise, the Parallels virtualisation gets two thumbs up from me. Highly recommended, and free 30-day trialware available from the Parallels website (http://www.parallels.com/).

chagle
24th June 2007, 01:09 PM
Hear hear - I have it installed also. It seems to run Windows XP so much faster than on err... PC! Go figure! :-)

The reason behind me having to use Parallels is really there are a few proggies that just aren't on the Mac yet.. but hey, a quick 'resume' and back into Windows. Plus also the fact remote support, i.e. remote assistance is only available through XP (not talking about remote desktop) - which I need to 'help' family members and friends.

Coherence mode - Well, it's amazing!!

So a thumps up from me too..!

Hands0n
24th June 2007, 02:42 PM
Re remote support - There is an RDP client for the Mac available from Microsoft free of charge called "Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac". It works really well, I've used it in anger for business as well as personal use. It is a rull RDP client. You can get it here (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient)

Another reason less to run up XP :D

But then you said Remote Assistance - and I've not yet found the Mac for that ............... yet :D

Ben
24th June 2007, 02:49 PM
It annoys the hell out of me that there are still large companies out there that are producting software for Windows-only. I can understand small developers picking their OS of choice, but for companies like Sage, Barclays, Channel4, Sky and the BBC (iPlayer, coming soon) to be tied to Windows is utterly disgusting.

Still, I guess if all software were to become available for the Mac, everyone would switch ;)

Parallels is a life saver. It has reduced my megamachine at home's workload to mostly Folding, while my essential Windows apps moved with me to the Mac and, shock horror, now run better than before.

chagle
24th June 2007, 02:51 PM
Hello...

I've got RDP for Mac - Works well! With my old PC (just before the Mac) I still have stuff on there. It's not got a KB/Mouse or Screen attached - so I turn it up... wait til I think it's at the desktop, for up RDC for Mac and connect to it..

Again, it works! Very well.. But would be nice to have Remote Assistance though - But then again, I suppose it's a Microsoft thing! :-)

Give it time...!

chagle
24th June 2007, 02:53 PM
Parallels is a life saver. It has reduced my megamachine at home's workload to mostly Folding, while my essential Windows apps moved with me to the Mac and, shock horror, now run better than before.

I find this - Windows XP running in Parallels performs much better than on a PC! :)

I ain't complaining...! :D

Hands0n
24th June 2007, 04:21 PM
Again, it works! Very well.. But would be nice to have Remote Assistance though - But then again, I suppose it's a Microsoft thing! :-)

Give it time...!

I know Remote Assistance is built into the OS for Windows - but as you are rapidly becoming a Mac afficionado, have you considered VNC? Stuff a little VNC server on each PC you have to give Remote Assistance to and Robert is your father's brother :)

Yea, I know its a cheat ;)

There's always logmein.com if you don't like the sound of VNC, although I personally find the screen resolution of it not as good, and so I tend to opt for the more universal VNC.

I use "Chicken of the VNC (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14099)" client for the Mac, and generally Ultra-VNC (http://www.uvnc.com/) for the Windows end of things.

Like all things Mac, there's always another way - generally :)

I'm looking after some reasonably tight Bluetooth SMS integration between Mac and Mobile Phone - Nokia generally. One thing I do like to do is use the laptop to generate and read SMS when I'm using it - saves having to to do the clicky-clicky thing with the mobile keypad (I'm a trained copy typist so hate looking at keys - but still can't get the phone keypad to that point of operation!). It has to be free - preferably something GPL or Open Source .... Ya know me by now :D

chagle
24th June 2007, 04:29 PM
I know Remote Assistance is built into the OS for Windows - but as you are rapidly becoming a Mac afficionado, have you considered VNC? Stuff a little VNC server on each PC you have to give Remote Assistance to and Robert is your father's brother :)

Yea, I know its a cheat ;)

There's always logmein.com if you don't like the sound of VNC, although I personally find the screen resolution of it not as good, and so I tend to opt for the more universal VNC.

I use "Chicken of the VNC (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14099)" client for the Mac, and generally Ultra-VNC (http://www.uvnc.com/) for the Windows end of things.

Like all things Mac, there's always another way - generally :)

I'm looking after some reasonably tight Bluetooth SMS integration between Mac and Mobile Phone - Nokia generally. One thing I do like to do is use the laptop to generate and read SMS when I'm using it - saves having to to do the clicky-clicky thing with the mobile keypad (I'm a trained copy typist so hate looking at keys - but still can't get the phone keypad to that point of operation!). It has to be free - preferably something GPL or Open Source .... Ya know me by now :D

I'll have a looksie at VNC, thank you.

As for the Bluetooth - I can send SMS via the Mac via the N73 -- with a 'reasonable' Widget here: http://algoritmer.dk/widget/

OK - It's not the best but it does work!! I'm still searching for better ones though.

Have a bash - But I would love to be able to read/reply to SMS via the Mac :-0

The search continues....