View Full Version : HOWTO: Macbook Pro - GPRS Connecting to the Internet

Hands0n
24th June 2007, 07:00 PM
Ooooh, errrr, this is one of those times when the Windows knowledge surpasses the Mac OS X knowledge big time! The time had come to get the Bluetooth connection to my mobile phone working for GPRS access to the Internet. I've done this easily enough with the Windows Mobile PDA and of course any number of Windows XP laptops. But I ran straight into a brick wall with the Macbook Pro!

So here is my information to help out anyone facing a similar issue with their OS X device (you might want to get this working with your iMac for instance, as it is a good standby should your primary ADSL/Cable Internet link go out of action. At least you can get some Internet access on the go, even if it might not be in your plan at present (us T-Mobile Web N Walk Plus and Max peeps are spoilt here :D )

Firstly - forget everything you know about how to do it in Windows - it'll only confuse the hell out of you!

Make a visit to Ross Barkman's Home Page and grab the appropriate Modem Scripts for your 3G handset - you'll need them, the default OS X ones didn't work for me. I'm using Nokia so of course I grabbed these (http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/Nokia3G2004-12.sit) (you'll need Stuffit Expander or whatever to un-SIT the files).
Drop the pair of Modem Scripts into /library/modem scripts. Make sure you go to root's /library directory and not your personal account library. To do this use Finder and select the menu item Go To Folder and type in "/library/modem scripts" without the quotes. Then drag and drop the pair of modem scripts.
Read and follow the instructions in +ReadMe.rtf that came with the modem scripts - scroll down to the OS X Instructions and work through them.

You will need to know your GPRS APN - and note that it gets entered as the Dial Number (!!). That caught me out at first. Also you'll need the Username and Password - not all reference websites have this right. T-Mobile's is Username=t-mobile Password=user

Once set up it does work rather well - and it is helpful to have the "Show modem status in menu bar" turned on as it is a very quick and easy way to solicit a GPRS connection when you need one.

Once again, having sorted out the differences between OS X and Windows - and finding the resources (modem scripts) needed, the rest was easy. But shame on Apple for not having such essential scripts available - especially for arguably the No.1 mobile manufacturer in the world. The Apple-supplied scripts simply did not work at all.

miffed
24th June 2007, 07:12 PM
Yes , I have found this with Virtually EVERY phone I have ever tried to use as a modem with the Macbook , fortunately there are answers out there though - and once you've sussed it , the whole thing works splendidley !

It is normally just a case of finding a script and chucking in the Modem scripts folder - but I found with the WM devices , a little more tweaking is required
The whole thing (once set up ) seems to work a a lot smoother and than a similar windows set up
A bit like isync , had to manually set up syncing with 9500 , E61 etc - surely it would be simple for Apple to provide these scripts in the first place ?