View Full Version : 3G femtocells - Do the networks have the nerve?

Ben
26th June 2007, 06:00 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/26/netgear_femtocell/

From the end of the article:

This announcement from Netgear puts the femtocell firmly in the consumer-electronics bracket and presents a real opportunity for network operators to unbalance the dominance of Wi-Fi. But if they have the nerve to take advantage of that opportunity remains to be seen.
Do they have the nerve? What do we think, boys and girls? :p

3g-g
26th June 2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I think they do, in fact, I know of a product that gives you your own cell site in the house already... going into test as we speak! ;)

Hands0n
26th June 2007, 09:15 PM
I rather think that the Networks still don't really "get" Data. They're coming round to it, but it is taking an eternity. The Femtocell will no doubt be a hook by the Networks to try and capture the entire user experience. But there are flaws in the thinking in places.

Data: WiFi does it, and does it tons of times better than HSDPA - even 802.11g (54Mbps) outstrips HSDPA, and we've got 802.11n on the table now just waiting to be ratified. 3G Data speeds will not keep up. But if the Networks have the notion that 7.2Mbps is fast enough to keep up with ADSL they'd best think again. As soon as wire speeds increase (or if the Customer has Cable Internet - mine runs at 20Mbps ) HSDPA gets left in the dust yet again!

Passing the voice calls over the Internet? Ooooh, that wouldn't be the dreaded VoIP that the Networks so hate and despise, would it? Well, there are quality issues that are not going away any time soon now. So while I do play with VoIP - and have been involved with it one way or another since its commercial availability more than 6 years ago - I still do not see it as ready for Prime Time use in the Internet. In private LANs and WANs with QoS implemented it does work well - but these are tightly controlled environments - unlike the Internet.

Lock In - this is the bit that concerns me most. I really do not want my Data to be locked in with my Mobile. Does anyone? Maybe, just maybe, if the package is right - but the Networks have a long way to go yet. And only one has it anywhere near right at the moment (all hail T-Mobile) - the others have had a year to step up and compete, and have chosen not to.

I also see the Femtocell as a bit of a paradox for the Networks - tying Mobile down to Fixed Line when back at home. I hope this does not distract them from what they do reasonably well - Wireless communications. That great big market for unfettered Data connectivity exists, they just don't see it or trust in it yet ......

I'll be waiting and watching this particular device, but won't be partaking of anything that will effectively halve my Data speeds into the Internet. Thanks all the same :)