View Full Version : Vodafone to get the iPhone?

3g-g
28th June 2007, 03:49 PM
It seems everyone's fighting about it, however, Apple seem to be wanting to have some sort of control over its release... I don't think any of the operators would be happy about a handset manufacturer holding all the cards for equipment being used on "their" network!

Who'll give in first, the operators or Apple? Who has the most to lose by not getting the iPhone out to the public?

Vodafone is in talks with Apple to launch the U.S. firm's iPhone in Europe, and talks partly hinge on volume guarantees and subsidies, a Dutch magazine reported.

Apple demanded a guaranteed sales volume for the iPhone, which the British mobile operator did not want to give, Dutch magazine Bright said on its Web site late on Tuesday.

The magazine said Vodafone was pushing for more scope to subsidize the phone and did not want Apple to have control of the sale price. Vodafone declined comment on the report.

Vodafone has long been tipped by analysts as an obvious partner for Apple to bring the iPhone to Europe. Deutsche Telekom has also been mentioned as a possible contender.

Bright said France Telecom's Orange had also been in the running to bring the iPhone to Europe, but that Apple had a preference for Vodafone.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6193669.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnn

EDIT: Oh, and unless Vodafone resolve their data pricing structure absolutely no-one will want to use the iPhone on their network!

miffed
28th June 2007, 06:14 PM
I have to admit , the thought of an iPhone on Vodafone does absolutely nothing for me - and I'd almost certainly give up any aspirations of owning one if this transpires

It isn't even a case of unlocking it - as some of the features a tied to the network I beleive (?) - i.e. Visual voicemal etc & I'd guess settings are hardcoded in , so unlocking it and using it on a proper network would be out of the question

pleeaaassee let it be on T-mobile

Hands0n
28th June 2007, 09:17 PM
Yes, I think that iPhone and Vodafone would be a bad combination for the Consumer. Vodafone's punitive Data Tariffs would be a big turn off - particularly for those who buy into the iPhone with them and then see how large their first few month's bills are!

Ben
29th June 2007, 12:16 PM
AT&T got iPhone specific tariffs, so I'd hope that Apple and Vodafone would put together something similar but tailored to our markets.

whatleydude
29th June 2007, 08:51 PM
Oh God - can you imagine VF's 'mobilised internet' on the iphone?!

Nooooooooooo!

Ben
29th June 2007, 11:48 PM
Lol, fortunately it's easily disabled - it never actually worked on mine, but I disabled it anyway!

Ben
30th June 2007, 12:30 AM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/06/29/euro_3g_iphone_announcement_monday/

Well, The Register seem to think they know these facts for definite - so hopefully we'll be seeing our 3G iPhone on Monday? Mhm.

chagle
30th June 2007, 12:55 AM
It's just got to have 3G - otherwise impossible to use as a decent Internet phone! I do .. I do.. I do.. wish TM get the phone! Please....!!!!

Ben
30th June 2007, 11:10 AM
Well, if Voda, T-Mob and CPW all get the iPhone (I have no idea how this would work) then we're pretty set over here, and would certainly be in a preferable position to the Americans!

Hands0n
30th June 2007, 02:19 PM
I think Apple (like any American company) will have to try harder over here in Europe than back at home where they buy anything that begins with "Am...." or home produced in favour of anything else.

The market here is very fickle - and while Apple are commanding an ever-growing respect, I do think that they cannot take the iPhone as a natural seller here. They need as much distribution channel as possible and the trio of outlets seem to be reasonable choices - High Street/MVNO and two Networks.

The biggest issue for the iPhone - outside of selling to its Fans - is going to be making a dent in the overall public perception of what a Smartphone should be. We've all tried, and been disappointed by, the so-called Smartphones to date. Nokia, I feel, making one of the poorest showings with its Symbian S60 squeezed into tiny memory spaces for no good reason at all. The resulting stability and performance leaving very much to be desired.

At least with Windows Mobile, for all of its critical points, is stable, functional and has good mainstream connectivity. If the iPhone can meet that head-on then I think it has a splendid chance in the market - even at a premium price.

The Apple challenge has always been MS Windows and I do think that in the Mobile Phone world that challenge will persist. Almost anyone else - to these two - is going to end up an irrelevance. Unless, that is, Nokia wake up and smell the fresh roast coffee brewing - they have one last chance to get Symbian S60 right. But the signs are that they will completely miss this opportunity and flounder on the rocks of their own complacency.

The Champ to Chump cycle exists for a very good reason.

whatleydude
2nd July 2007, 05:33 PM
I should get my hands on an iphone by this time next week...
Will upload pics/vids as and when I have them.

chagle
2nd July 2007, 06:08 PM
You will? Will it work in the UK?

whatleydude
2nd July 2007, 08:10 PM
No of course not - I'll be using it over WiFi to test various iphone products..

chagle
2nd July 2007, 08:41 PM
Of course. I thought there something you weren't telling us!

Ben
2nd July 2007, 10:13 PM
No of course not - I'll be using it over WiFi to test various iphone products..
Apple gave us the impression that all you need for that is a copy of Safari ;)

Will be very cool to play with, though! I take it someone has had it activated on contract and then sold it on, a bit like folk do with their upgrade handsets here?

whatleydude
3rd July 2007, 09:15 AM
One of our guys is off to the US tomorrow, his bud has bought one for him already...

Nero
5th July 2007, 09:23 AM
Looks like it may not be Vodafone after all:

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2118778,00.html

In Summary:

"The fight between Europe's mobile phone operators to bring the iPhone across the Atlantic is at fever pitch, with O2 hotly tipped to win the deal for the UK market."

Ben
5th July 2007, 09:44 AM
I wonder what their sources are...

There are actual images (I assume network logos) for Vodafone and T-Mobile in the current iPhone OS, which had pretty much sealed the deal for me that T-Mobile would get it in Germany and Vodafone would here in the UK.

We'll have to wait and see.

Hands0n
5th July 2007, 06:53 PM
If O2 get it then I won't be bothering........

chagle
5th July 2007, 06:56 PM
It's got to be T-Mobile all the way - For me anyway.