View Full Version : Cracking data Deal in 3 Ireland

paulbds
29th June 2007, 09:57 PM
I have a 3 data card that I have in the South of Ireland and am travelling over there next week. I had heard about and wanted to check out the new USB modem and I came across this..here is the link

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm

They are offering a Massive 10Gb of data for €19.99 a month which in proper money is £13.50. Ok I know you have to buy the modem for a 1 off cost of €129, and I see you can't use it as a phone or for texts but this is a cracking deal - -much cheaper than most folk's broadband deals. I am over in ireland next week and will investigate.:)

This must be a pre launch sale I guess and considering you can use you data card in the UK for no extra cost .........
I am going to phone the store where I took out my contrcat and double check this out
When I got my 3 card in April I just presented with my passport, my UK 3 bill and driving licence!

Paul
ps I am just a happy customer of 3 and have no percunary interest in the company

Ben
29th June 2007, 11:46 PM
I see it's restricted to the HSDPA network only. Interesting.

Why would anybody pick the 3GB option? Purely for the ability to use voice and text? :S

paulbds
30th June 2007, 01:20 PM
UPDATE - -Phoned the shop where I ususally do my 3 Business in ireland. The offer is as descibed but you cannot use ot for roaming which is fair enought at that price. The modem costs €129 and this compare favourably with Expansys price of over £200.
I will be taking out a contract on this next week and if anyone is interetsed I will report back to the forum.
paul

Hands0n
30th June 2007, 01:51 PM
I wonder if 3's recent "joined up" thinking will see this come over here for similar £'s price (i.e. not changing the € for a £ which is the norm). At £19 for 10GB that is remarkable value, particularly as we are now talking about full-on Internet. I'd certainly consider that as a Home Broadband replacement if the HSDPA produces reasonably high speeds - ~3.6Mbps at current [network] settings.

Ben
30th June 2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah, lets face it, in terms of bandwidth the majority of people probably don't realistically receive higher than 3.6mbps anyway. BT's 'up to 8mb' applies only to a handful of people and Virgin Media's coverage over here is limited.

I hope 3 can make a wirefree broadband splash.

paulbds
30th June 2007, 06:27 PM
Handson, sorry to split hairs - -It's €19.99 Euro which is equivalent to £13.50

I phoned carphone Warehouse in Wexford and they will do me the deal without having to travel to Waterford next week (80 mile round trip)
They need the usual passport/photo ID and a recent bill
The chap I spoke to in the 3 store said that they were selling like hot cakes.
I have to say that if they had a similar deal here I would consider ditching my land line BB contract.
FWIW, my current 3 (ireland) data contract is €24.99 for 250MB of data. The reason I took that out is that it was cheaper than a land line deal and additional BB contract on my aprtment in Ireland. Also, it was much cheaper than taking it out here in the uk.
My daughter is currently working in iIeland at the momemnt and I was going to up her data allowance on my existing card up to 1GB for €39.99. With this deal I am just going to take out a new contract and I can use the "old" card in my mobile/laptop for internet access here in the UK (there is no extra charge for this)
I am still amazed at the value this represents given the 10Gig allowance

Hands0n
1st July 2007, 12:28 AM
Handson, sorry to split hairs - -It's €19.99 Euro which is equivalent to £13.50

No problem at all :) I think I hit the wrong symbol - but at £13.50 that is even better value than anything else in the UK, if it were here. One can only hope that 3 bring it over here sometime soon. 3 could win a huge slice of the data market if they promote this right.

3GScottishUser
3rd July 2007, 09:12 AM
This deal makes sense in the Irish republic as 3's network (built by BT) has had HSDPA installed form the start. They have lots of capacity so i dare say the idea is to steal a march on others by opening it up and encouraging its use. This is a far cry from the shenannigans in the UK with the notorious 'walled garden' which crippled all of the real benefits of 3G for more than 2 years!

Nice to see some progress being made although I suspect it'll take some time for this offer to become available in the UK as 3 still have to upgrade transmission hardware and that will be costly. With revenues set to plummet thanks to Ofcom's termination caps I think 3 UK will be focussing on good old voice and text growth for a while.

solo12002
3rd July 2007, 08:38 PM
" With revenues set to plummet thanks to Ofcom's termination caps I think 3 UK will be focussing on good old voice and text growth for a while"

I agree but it is nice to know that most of the other networks have put some ot their prices up (ie) T-Mobile from 12 to 15 and charging for some 0744 numbers, O2 charging for 08 XX numbers, so far three has not gone down that route.

I think if three was to issue that data plan in the UK I for one would cancel my landline and broadband and it would hit BT and others hard

frazzel
4th July 2007, 09:43 AM
I AGREE!

I would ditch my Bt line straight away if 3 launched this here! (watch this space me thinks! )

Ben
4th July 2007, 10:01 AM
They'd need the capacity. I don't think they have any intention of replacing BT's 'cheap' cabled network with far lower capacity broadband access via their precious air interface in the UK. I mean, we'll see, but it's much more likely that UK pricing will be inline with the market for mobile broadband.

paulbds
5th July 2007, 04:36 PM
Well, I went into the 3 shop in Henry Street, Dublina dn checked out the deal

It was just as described - -so, I bought the deal. I form of ID with picture (passport) and 1 utility bill. Handed over credit card €129 (£90) and signed up for the monthly payment (€19.99/month)£13.50)). I am typing this whilst in Wexford - using the modem-it's really good AND I can use it in UK for no extra charge. Saves me having to use wifi networks
BTW. the 3 coverage seem to be very good in Ireland, well at least the parts I travel to

Now, here is something else - -the USB moden, despite being branded 3 ....appears to be unlocked (tried my T-Mobile sim in it) Expansys sell these modems for £220 so all in all it seems a good deal.
FWIW you can get this deal from Carphone warehouse etc, but eh reason I went to the 3 shop was to find out from those in the know
Regards

Paul