View Full Version : 3G to 3G Videocalling x network

whatleydude
6th July 2007, 12:44 AM
Quick straw poll my fellow 3G friends.. .

I've found myself doing more and more '3G stuff' lately thanks largely to my N95.
One thing that's been bothering me is that Im having REAL difficulty (ie - it's impossible) video calling friends on the H3G network.

They can VC me - but I can't VC them.

Anyone know about this or experiencing the same problems?

miffed
6th July 2007, 07:09 AM
Not sure if this is a relavent issue now ( I know it used to be)

.... But did they port a number in when they joined 3 ? .... only Three used to operate this wonderful system , where if you ported a number in , you would only be able to receive voice & Text calls on it , you would need a second number to receive Video calls on

Not sure if this still goes on though

bsrjl1
6th July 2007, 07:31 AM
That stopped *ages* ago.

whatleydude
6th July 2007, 09:40 AM
Not sure if this is a relavent issue now ( I know it used to be) .... But did they port a number in when they joined 3 ? .... only Three used to operate this wonderful system , where if you ported a number in , you would only be able to receive voice & Text calls on it , you would need a second number to receive Video calls on
Not sure if this still goes on though

Hmm.
Will check - just in case there's a nuance in the system.

Considering calling VF CS - but have a funny feeling they'll point the finger at H3G (and vice-versa).

Ben
6th July 2007, 09:50 AM
Considering calling VF CS - but have a funny feeling they'll point the finger at H3G (and vice-versa).
You should, and hold them to account! Wherever the problem lies, it has to be the responsibility of your service provider to investigate.

Hands0n
6th July 2007, 06:10 PM
I've had this porting problem before and it clears up after several weeks/months. The last time was when I ported my 3 number to T-Mobile. Voice and text worked immediately, as did MMS. But Videocalling would not work - even asking T-Mobile for their Videocalling Server number drew a blank. Then after several weeks (it could have been a month or more) it suddenly started working.

I also had a similar problem with my new Vodafone number - I could call out on it, most established networks could call me back - except anyone on 3. They'd get Number Unobtainable - 3 said that my number prefix did not exist (Oh yea, sez who?). All it turned out to be was that they'd not yet added that prefix in their routing plan and so [to them] it did not exist.

You'll have a tough job tracking this down - it may well resolve itself in due course, the whole thing is far from perfect. Very, very far ......

Ben
6th July 2007, 06:19 PM
the whole thing is far from perfect. Very, very far ......
Never have truer words been said. It's all scotch tape and string. And that was before number portability!

whatleydude
7th July 2007, 03:11 PM
You'll have a tough job tracking this down - it may well resolve itself in due course, the whole thing is far from perfect. Very, very far ......

Ahh man!
*sigh*

Cheers for all the info dudes.

getti
7th July 2007, 10:48 PM
u can videocall me if you ike and leave a videomail?

I will PM you my number (i have a 3 number and T-Mob) if it helps

hecatae
8th July 2007, 01:57 PM
Is it a new number, I remember 3 UK had issues with new numbers not being added to it's database as soon as other networks obtained them.