View Full Version : iphone

whatleydude
13th July 2007, 09:57 AM
Dunno if this is allowed here - what with it not being 3G an' all...

But I got my hands on one today - and so far?

...not that impressed.

Any questions?

Ben
13th July 2007, 10:02 AM
Moved.

What is most unimpressive? I'm guessing the iPod is spot on, but we all know the phone is lacking... not that you were probably able to test phone features. Safari browsing should be pretty good over WLAN?

What is impressive?

whatleydude
13th July 2007, 10:55 AM
Cheers mate - thought that might happen!
;)

What's impressive?
Fast UI.

That's... About... It... so far.

I'm gonna see if I can steal it away for the weekend.
Just uploading a quick vid to here (http://whatleydude.vox.com) - give us a few mins...

miffed
13th July 2007, 10:55 AM
Dunno if this is allowed here - what with it not being 3G an' all...

But I got my hands on one today - and so far?

...not that impressed.

Any questions?

Can I have it then ? :p

When you say "not that impressed" do you mean considering the huge build up & anticipation , or that you are not that impressed with it as a device in its own right ?
i.e. - if this device had been un-announced & launched by , say Samsung - would you still be not impressed ?

I have to say, nearly every report I have read from people with previous smartphone experience has been unfavourable

But as they say - proof of the pudding and all that ..

whatleydude
13th July 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not that impressed with the build-up and anticipation I think.
It just feels like a novelty more than anything y'know?
The phone is cool to play with, there's some neat features too...
But - I dunno - practically-wise... Give me my N95!
;)

We've just had a discussion in the office and I can have it next weekend... so more to follow!

whatleydude
13th July 2007, 02:26 PM
Video uploaded now..

Ben
13th July 2007, 04:57 PM
If there isn't an iPhone in the Talk3G access_log when I check, I swear to God...

whatleydude
13th July 2007, 05:16 PM
Hahah - That's of course you can spot the user agent..

@NickyColman
13th July 2007, 05:55 PM
As much as i HATE the specs of the iPhone, i cant help dribble a little (from the mouth) when i see it in action! It has that Apple magic that makes me want one but im not quite sure why?

whatleydude
18th July 2007, 12:59 PM
I'm not an Apple fan at all... but i actually got to take the phone home last night - admittedly only really did some browsing over wifi - but I am slowly getting used to it..
The keyboard in safari/horizontal mode is SO easy to use..

post a pic in another thread but the link is here:

https://talk3g.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=682&d=1184689490

Ben
18th July 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm not an Apple fan at all...
Please can we help you with that? (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4292)

Sounds encouraging! I kinda hope we don't get the iPhone before a 2G version though.

whatleydude
18th July 2007, 05:22 PM
Dude - it it's not 3.5G - it's not worth it

Hands0n
18th July 2007, 07:44 PM
I'm seriously considering waiting out iPhone II :D

whatleydude
18th July 2007, 09:56 PM
Well see what specs the iphone comes with on o2 in the Autumn first dude..

;)

chagle
20th August 2007, 11:06 PM
.. I've heard from a source in VF that VF and O2 will be getting the iPhone. If only it would have been TM!

Ben
21st August 2007, 12:31 AM
Hmm, they could have been repeating rumour they'd heard - the online belief is that either Voda, O2 and CPW will carry iPhone in the UK or that it'll be an O2 exclusive.

Hands0n
21st August 2007, 06:55 AM
Hmmm, I've just this year refreshed my Vodfone 18-month contract, so no iPhone from them. And I'll be damned if I'll buy one on O2 - even if it only comes out in 2G/2.5G as in the US. Might have to give CPW a review - although I'm loathe to dispense with my T-Mobile as it has such a good data package that I'm using (W 'n W+).

Perhaps I'll have to wait out for the 2nd gen iPhone on T-Mobile, if that ever happens.

gorilla
21st August 2007, 01:30 PM
I was listening to this week's edition of Twit and they were talking about waiting for the 3rd gen iphone. Maybe that will be 3g!

How long has 3g got left anyway?:confused:

On a side note and just to completely hijack this thread:D, has anyone tried this yet?

Creating a Mac-on-Stick using Mini vMac (http://nothickmanuals.info/doku.php?id=minivmac)

I think I'll give it a go later on. For those to lazy to follow the link, it's a project which put OS 7.0.1 on a flash memory stick enabling you to run Mac OS 7 anywhere and on a pc!

Ronin47
21st August 2007, 02:05 PM
that project is listed on http://portableapps.com/apps

its what i use on my stick lots of handy apps

gorilla
21st August 2007, 08:33 PM
That's where I found it! Very useful indeed.

Hands0n
21st August 2007, 10:57 PM
How long has 3g got left anyway?:confused:

3G has only just got started - its a long way from being demised!!

Or do you mean 3 the UK mobile network operator that was first out of the gate with a 3G proposition? That is anyone's guess.

Edit: I recall seeing somewhere that you could put XP on a stick too - but it only lasted 8 continuous hours. Because by then you'd use up the 100,000 write cycles of the average flash ram stick - on account that XP randomly scribbles on the disk.

gorilla
22nd August 2007, 09:10 PM
3G has only just got started - its a long way from being demised!!

Or do you mean 3 the UK mobile network operator that was first out of the gate with a 3G proposition? That is anyone's guess.

I mean the 3g technology. Sure once 4g comes out three are stuffed!

I'm not convinced it'll last another 5 years. Well it probably will knowing how much cash the networks spunked on it. But it really shouldn't last that long.

Isn't it time the networks switched off their 2g networks and migrated everyone over to 3g? I mean the govt are going to switch off the analogue tv signal soon.

Hands0n
22nd August 2007, 09:43 PM
Ah 4G - that mystical beast.

In actual fact, 4G is not going to be a replacement technology for 3G per se. 4G, if it ever comes into being, will be an umbrella heterogeneous access network technology for a diverse number of underlying transmission technologies. These underlying technologies could be 2G, 3G, WiFi, WiMax and any other innovations that come along in the ensuing years. The "network" will use a single IP network core for all of the access networks.

What is the point of all that then? Where's the 4G in this? Well the notion is that with a 4G terminal the actual physical choice of which transmission technology will be taken out of your hands. Your terminal will attach to whichever technology is best available and that gives the best service for what you are trying to do. All without you having to even think about it.

The problems are not entirely difficult technologically. The big issues relate to integration - how do you affordably encapsulate all of those transmission technologies into an affordable terminal? Other issues relate to roaming - possible technologically again, but how do you cross-charge for this wonderful capability. Not all operators will have all technologies at their disposal. Yet other issues relate to Government Regulation - at the moment certain national roaming is specifically prohibited - each network has to have its own coverage (with little exception).

So don't go holding your breath for 4G to come along and replace 3G as a development of the latter technology.

Some good reading here (http://delivery.acm.org/10.1145/1150000/1142698/a14-hussain.pdf?key1=1142698&key2=8898704611&coll=GUIDE&dl=&CFID=15151515&CFTOKEN=6184618)

Have a Google and go wild :D

miffed
23rd August 2007, 07:24 AM
So don't go holding your breath for 4G to come along and replace 3G as a development of the latter technology.

....... A bit like 3G then ? :rolleyes:;):p