View Full Version : The 3G/HSDPA Roadmap

Ben
15th July 2007, 10:10 AM
I didn't know this, but apparently HSDPA on our UMTS networks is going to considerably steal the march over EVDO networks on CDMA2000 and that Telstra in Australia has actually announced that it will retire the EVDO network in favour of a HSDPA one! O_o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsdpa

The first phase of HSDPA has been specified in 3GPP release 5. Phase one introduces new basic functions and is aimed to achieve peak data rates of 14.4 Mbit/s (see above). Newly introduced are the High Speed Downlink Shared Channels (HS-DSCH), the adaptive modulation QPSK and 16QAM and the High Speed Medium Access protocol (MAC-hs) in the Node-B.

The second phase of HSDPA is specified in the upcoming 3GPP release 7 and has been named HSPA Evolved. It can achieve data rates of up to 42 Mbit/s.[1] It will introduce antenna array technologies such as beamforming and Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO). Beam forming can be described as focusing the transmitted power of an antenna in a beam towards the user’s direction. MIMO uses multiple antennas at the sending and receiving side. Deployments are scheduled to begin in the second half of 2008.

After HSDPA the roadmap leads to HSOPA, a technology under development for specification in 3GPP Release 8. This project is called the LTE (Long Term Evolution) initiative. It aims to achieve data rates of up 200 Mbit/s for downlink and 100 Mbit/s for uplink using OFDMA modulation.
Lmao, the bit on beam focusing is hilarious IMHO! Not as hilarious as the top speeds we could be seeing in a few years time - God only knows if we'll ever use them.

Hands0n
15th July 2007, 10:47 AM
It is all very exciting stuff indeed - for the data user. I do think that the intention is to meet the likes of WiMAX head on in many cases. The mobile ops have the best chance of doing that if they are sensible with their pricing models - silly data charges will kill this particular golden goose.

The big win, from both consumer and mobile operator side, is that the chance is to end up with a single means of communicating. Appropriately constructed, the consumer could end up with a single device that gives them their mobile and "fixed line" working. Those that require permanent fixed line capability even while they are away from base can achieve this with an additional 3G facility - always assuming a sensible price structure.

The big for the the mobile ops is that they capture more of the consumer's spend on these technologies - and with that an associated uplift in ARPU.

Ben
15th July 2007, 11:31 AM
A BT engineer was talking to me the other day about a new type of fibre being rolled out whereby a blue laser is used instead of a red one. A bit like DVD vs Blueray/HD-DVD I guess.

Anyway, apparently the mobops are already requesting this blue-laser product for its superior capacity. Wouldn't it be bizzare if, instead of FTTH (Fibre to the home) replacing the BT copper network, we ulimately end up with 'super fibre' going to nearby mobop masts with HSPA-Evolved making up the last mile.

Ok, so I can't see that being the only result - but I can certainly imagine that in 10 years from now many homes will still be on old copper circuits and some will be taking their broadband directly from the mobile networks.

solo12002
15th July 2007, 11:49 AM
" some will be taking their broadband directly from the mobile networks"

It three UK lunched the broadband deal they have (10GB for £13 PM) like they have in Ireland, I can see that happending. Afterall why pay £30 plus a qtr just for line rental, if you can use your mobile and portable broadband access.

Hands0n
15th July 2007, 01:55 PM
It three UK lunched the broadband deal they have (10GB for £13 PM) like they have in Ireland, I can see that happending. Afterall why pay £30 plus a qtr just for line rental, if you can use your mobile and portable broadband access.

The financial argument of the 3 proposition is compelling. But [3] will have to get their CS sorted out beforehand. 3 could not sustain the level of complaint against their CS and the resultant attrition at end of minimum term.

I don't think we'll have to wait 10 years for much of this - the technology is advancing too quickly and the demand too strong. A shake-up of who can do what is not too far away. Those found lacking in a suitable proposition will fade away. There are recent entrants (i.e. Virgin and Sky) who want a very big piece of the action. Mobile is just one area where they have no owned infrastructure - but if they acquire one the incumbents will have to move very quickly! Something they're not particularly good at.

3g-g
16th July 2007, 09:03 AM
Anyway, apparently the mobops are already requesting this blue-laser product for its superior capacity. Wouldn't it be bizzare if, instead of FTTH (Fibre to the home) replacing the BT copper network, we ulimately end up with 'super fibre' going to nearby mobop masts with HSPA-Evolved making up the last mile.

There are already lots of sites out there supplied on 3rd party fibre circuits, but they have old-hat 2G equipment on the end of them, give me full fibre capacity now mobile operators! ;)