View Full Version : Draytek USB 3G-capable Router

Ben
27th July 2007, 09:03 AM
Well, this was a nice surprise!

http://www.draytek.com/product/Dual_Wan_Security_Router/Vigor2910.php

Basically, you can plug a USB 3G modem straight into the USB port on the modem (marked Printer). And there you go, another router on the market that could be perfect for those where a BT line is not.

I might add that the Draytek is considerably more complicated to configure than the Linksys, but then if you need to use the USB modem you don't really have much choice (afaik)?

Ben
16th August 2007, 01:12 PM
I just wanted to add that I returned this product today.

I never actually tried the USB modem functionality, I was too busy trying to fix other things...

Version 3.0.6 has an improperly implemented firewall with no SPI/keep state function. I also couldn't get QoS to work, along with some other features. I'd advise against buying this product at this time.

Hands0n
16th August 2007, 11:58 PM
Yes, if the router has an improperly built firewall then stay away from it or risk your IT kit.

The approximate time for an unprotected Windows XP PC to become infected when directly connected to the Internet is well under 30 seconds!

Ben
17th August 2007, 09:03 AM
Yeah, and let me tell you, it took less time than that for the one Windows machine behind the Draytek to get compromised. Pathetic! If only cleaning it up were as quick.