View Full Version : Nokia ships 100 million phones in Q2

Ben
2nd August 2007, 08:18 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/02/nokia_q2_results/

The figures for the three months to 30 June show Nokia turning over €12.6bn, and making €2.36bn in profit. During the period they shipped 1.5 million of its top end multimedia phone, the N95, with margins on multimedia handsets rising to 20.9 per cent (from 16.1 per cent this time last year).
Crikey.

Hands0n
11th August 2007, 12:01 AM
I am pretty sure that Nokia are doing this through the loyalty of their "Fanboy" network of users. The N95, for example, while being a superbly spec'd handset falls flat on its face with a Symbian OS that is prone to crash with little provocation and a battery life that makes the whole experience decidedly jaded!

That said, you can't but deny Nokia a slap on the back for being able to ship so many handsets in a single quarter.

Ben
11th August 2007, 11:44 AM
The N95 was certainly 'the big one' and I'm not sure it has done Nokia any favours for the long run. I think Nokia took a big risk in hyping such a new product, selling over a million right out the gate. It probably would have been better to soft launch something similar and then go in for the kill with a refined model for the mass markets.

Still, I guess competition seldom affords handset manufacturers that sort of luxuary.

Perhaps Symbian as an OS for mobile phones would be a very different beast with a better range of CPU's and much, much more RAM? Will Nokia ever give it a chance to shine? I'm starting to look more favourably on mobile linux and I'm certainly excited about OS X's potential.