View Full Version : Woo your way to her heart with a 3G phone

3g-g
29th April 2005, 05:42 PM
From the Electric New paper.. emm.. tomorrow.. as it's already tomorrow in Asia.

Here's a link (http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/tech/story/0,4136,87408,00.html) to the original item as below.

There's hope for you yet!

IF you struggling over what to buy for the wife or girlfriend, here's a tip from me.

Get her one of the coolest looking 3G phones in the market such as the soon-to-be-launched super small Samsung Z500.

Or, if you can't wait, the Nokia 6680 or Motorola A1000.

These days, girls are simply crazy about technology. In a survey done in the UK, most of the female respondents said they preferred tech gadgets over flowers and even diamonds.

Yes, guys, in case you haven't noticed, tech is way cooler than what used to be girl's best friend.

So if you want to show that you are in tune with the age, it's time to do your homework on 3G.

In case you still think that 3G is the name of a new boy band, this quick guide will turn you into a 'quasi-expert' with enough information to impress your date.

WHAT IS 3G?
That's the million-dollar question. If your answer to this is 'duh', don't ever use your phone in the presence of your date.

Chances are you will still be using some long-extinct model. That's totally uncool for a tech guy.

Tech-savvy and cool guys keep up with the latest trends. Even if they are not using 3G phones yet, you can count on them flashing cool designer phones such as the Motorola V3 Razr or Samsung D500 slide-up phone.

So if you really must start from the basics, let me tell you that 3G simply stands for 'third-generation' handphones.

The first-generation Line is overdrawn phones were the ones that ran on analogue networks and had poor voice quality.

Then came the second-generation digital ones, which offered better voice quality and the ability to send data like SMS and access the Internet at slow 9.6 kbps speeds.

Most phones today are what they call 2.5G phones because they make use of the GPRS technology, which brings you surfing speed up to about 40-50 kbps.

Think of it as close to dial-up speed (56kbps) on your old desktop computers. 3G phones bring that speed up to 384 kbps, and potentially to 2 Mbps (2000 kbps). This is comparable to fixed broadband Internet speeds which range from 512 kbps to 6,500 kbps here.

SO WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?

Think of it as having broadband Internet in your pocket. With high-speed Internet in your phone, it opens the door to new applications on your mobile phone.

Playing multi-player online games, viewing movie clips, listening to and buying music from an online service provider, talking to your loved ones face-to-face via video calls, getting e-mail on your phone in real time, and so much more.

Yes, 3G is the latest stuff, and like all hot new tech gadgets, it's a big deal simply because it is the newest kid on the block.

HOW TO MAKE IT WORK FOR YOU

So it's your wife's birthday and the both of you are having a romantic candlelight dinner in a classy restaurant.

When it's time to bring out the birthday cake, whip out your 3G phone to shoot close-up pictures of her, or even a video.

The restaurant doesn't have a Happy Birthday CD? No problem, you can play the downloaded MP3 version of it in your phone.

When you are done, e-mail the pictures, or video, straight to her best friends, so they know how lucky she is to have a guy like you.

When the plates are cleared and the soft music is dulling your senses, whip out the phone again to take a close-up shot.

Maybe this would be an opportune moment to plant a kiss on her cheek. Never mind if the 3G phone's battery has run out of mojo by now. Just pretend to click and shoot anyway.

TRUMP CARD

Soon it would be time to produce your trump card.

Remember my gift idea? After impressing her with your technology know-how, imagine how happy she would feel if you suddenly present her with the 'For Her' version of the 3G phone.

You whip out a brand new 3G phone and press it ever so gently onto her palm saying, 'This is for you'.

The perfect evening will not just end there. With that extra 3G phone, you can continue to see her all night because the two of you can whisper sweet nothings and blow kisses via video phone calls.

So who says we tech guys are unromantic?

3g-g
29th April 2005, 05:55 PM
There should really be a post script on this item:

After you've given her the phone she buggers off and racks up a £300 phone bill calling her mates, you mug. Keep the phone to yourself! You always need more than one handset anyway.

Ben
29th April 2005, 06:13 PM
Lmao! I know the 6680 has some appeal, but if you bought a girl one of those Motorola bricks I don't think she'd appreciate not having room for the other 10,284 items in her handbag anymore!

I'm not convinced that the author of the article is speaking the complete thruth, but advancements have been made in removing the maleness from technology. I think the article is more of a technophiles pipe dream!

delinquentwoody
29th April 2005, 08:50 PM
Lol yeh i agree... i stick to flowers and perfume myself!!

Hands0n
2nd May 2005, 06:23 PM
Do they do the A1000 in pastel pink then?