View Full Version : Unbranded n95 what network to choose, for truphone and msn,

n0n4m3
19th August 2007, 03:39 PM
hi, what pay as u go sim, should I go for. Bought 3 (uk), but cant get msn to connect, truphone not connecting too. Any one use truphone in uk? What about T-mobile, as they been ordered by court to let ppl connect to trup. Whats best pay as u go sim to use, with unbranded n95?. Cheers.

Hands0n
19th August 2007, 05:21 PM
Truphone does not use any mobile network - it uses your WiFi to make VoIP calls across the Internet. So in that respect, it does not matter which network SIM you use - the key is for your Handset to be able to use WiFi and its SIP client (Vodafone-branded Nokia N95 have the SIP client disabled in firmware). If your N95 is proper unbranded Nokia then you will have no trouble using it for Truphone.

The T-Mobile legal action relates to them blocking the the Truphone number prefix - that has been deemed illegal. You could still use a T-Mobile N95 to make a call across Truphone - but until the legal action noone could call you back on your Truphone number if they were a T-Mobile user.

n0n4m3
19th August 2007, 05:40 PM
Truphone does not use any mobile network - it uses your WiFi to make VoIP calls across the Internet. So in that respect, it does not matter which network SIM you use - the key is for your Handset to be able to use WiFi and its SIP client (Vodafone-branded Nokia N95 have the SIP client disabled in firmware). If your N95 is proper unbranded Nokia then you will have no trouble using it for Truphone.

The T-Mobile legal action relates to them blocking the the Truphone number prefix - that has been deemed illegal. You could still use a T-Mobile N95 to make a call across Truphone - but until the legal action noone could call you back on your Truphone number if they were a T-Mobile user.

i could not finish instalation process on three network as it was saying that truph. cant connect to server to read my truphone account

and i think 3 is blocking downloading and truphone web

gorilla
19th August 2007, 10:52 PM
Truphone does not use any mobile network - it uses your WiFi to make VoIP calls across the Internet.

While this is true, the latest release also allows you to connect over 3g. There are many accounts of people using it this way. Also those on 3uk apparently get to use it free over the 3g network if you have the x-series silver and above data plan.

I've not tried this myself, so can't confirm that it's true.