View Full Version : Samsung Adds HSDPA 7.2Mbps To Create 'UFO' SVH-W3000

Ben
20th August 2007, 04:18 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2007/08/20/Samsung-Adds-HSDPA-7-2Mbps-To-Create-UFO/p1

With the 'SVH-W3000' – or 'UFO' as Samsung is, perhaps aptly, calling it – the company has come up with its first mainstream 7.2Mbps capable mobile phone and in a surprisingly slim form factor.

Scheduled to become part of the Ultra Edition II line, the slider is just 12.9mm thick and comes kitted out with a 2in QVGA screen, (lowish?) 2MP camera, Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP, a microSD slot and integrated media player capable of playing back MP3, AAC, WMA, H.263 and Mpeg4 content.
I know Samsung often push technology with little effect, but the release of 7.2Mbps handsets could drive HSDPA updates on the network end. I do feel a little for the networks at the moment, they don't seem to be able to finish one update before the next is demanded, but I guess they're just having to adapt to the changing nature of mobile technologies these days. Damn, they must reminisce about GSM now!

Hands0n
20th August 2007, 11:34 PM
The networks need a big push like this - although I am a bit disgusted at the likes of T-Mobile charging a premium for over 1.8Mbps service. What are they thinking? Nothing stifles a market like over-pricing. Maybe the mobile ops truly don't want a piece of the non-fixed location business. Sure, they've got the playing field to themselves right now - but that won't last forever. And the likes of WiMax stand to blow even the fastest HSDPA out of the water when it finally arrives.

But for now, this tidy little Samsung is a rather attractive looking beastie. I'd be happy to have one alongside my Laptop for mobile Internet.

Ben
21st August 2007, 12:24 AM
I guess T-Mobile figured out that if fixed line broadband providers can charge different rates for different speeds then, well damn, so can they. Unfortunately fixed line broadband increasingly doesn't work like that, as most services can run up to 8Mb. *shakes head* Dipsticks!

gorilla
21st August 2007, 01:21 PM
What are they thinking? Nothing stifles a market like over-pricing. Maybe the mobile ops truly don't want a piece of the non-fixed location business. Sure, they've got the playing field to themselves right now - but that won't last forever. And the likes of WiMax stand to blow even the fastest HSDPA out of the water when it finally arrives.

Now HandsOn, I thought you'd know better by now, not to challenge the intellectual mindset of the Telco? Who are you or I to challenge their 'brilliant' business decisions which have delivered shareholder profits year after year? :eek:

As for handset manufacturers beginning to drive demand for future services, I don't see it happening. I mean, who needs super fast data speeds on a mobile? It's not like checking email requires great speed. :p (leaked internal memo from a non specific mobile operator!!!)

On a more serious note, I hope the 'traditional' companies learn from their past mistakes e.g. 3g, and implement a proper and cost effective 3.5g or 4g or whatever they think of next.