View Full Version : Microsoft and Nokia team up for Windows Live

Ben
23rd August 2007, 07:55 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/23/windows_live_nokia/

Nokia, in conjunction with Microsoft, has released a version of Windows Live for its Series 60 handsets, with Series 40 to follow next year.

The deal gives punters easy access to Windows Messenger, Hotmail, Contacts and Spaces, without so much as a nod to the network operators.
Woohoo!

The application may already be installed using the "Download" application on the N73, N76, N80, N93i and N95, where a new icon - WinLive - offers "Mail and IM" and "WL Spaces" for installation. The installing process takes a while, and consists of several components, but once installed offers well-integrated access to Windows Messenger.
Finally, MSN for S60 the way it was meant to be. Install process is nice, first time I've ever used the Download! feature.

gorilla
24th August 2007, 02:30 PM
This puts welcome pressure on google to introduce something similar. There's now yahoo go and Windows Live for S60. Although if the inbuilt email client and calendar app were better there would be no need for these services. Well for me anyway, all I want is a decent pop3 client and to sync my calendar.
I'm not going to try Live as I have an E65 which means getting an 'alternative' version to the above.

How are you finding it?

whatleydude
27th August 2007, 11:10 PM
However - it seems that it won't be free forever... 30-day trials have been mentioned in some of the news reports I've read...

Ben
27th August 2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, it prompts when you install to make sure the message gets through - they can start charging with 30 days notice. It's not a 30-day trial, though - they're just not ruling out introducing charges later.

gorilla
28th August 2007, 12:58 PM
It would be a tad foolish to start charging for it.

Ben
28th August 2007, 01:59 PM
I certainly don't think it'd be a very popular decision, but I guess we'll see how the mobile IM market matures.

hecatae
28th August 2007, 07:13 PM
Not available to E-series owners.