View Full Version : Nokia SMS Accelerator

Ben
26th August 2007, 11:54 AM
Okay, slightly odd this.

If you fire up Services and go to Application Downloads one of the links is SMS Accelerator.

It's a 2KB update that makes Messaging work like butter. Seriously. I just installed it and now Messaging is super-nippy (relatively speaking, this is S60).

So... why have this as a random optional update? Seems pretty critical to me, shouldn't it really be in a full-blown software update?

Anyway, whatever they have done in 2KB has made real difference so I'd advise anyone else who finds Messaging on S60 to be sluggish to give it a try.

The mind boggles.

chagle
26th August 2007, 04:48 PM
Where can I get this from Ben?

Hands0n
26th August 2007, 05:40 PM
On your S60 handset hit the Menu buton, find and click on the Services icon, scroll down to "App downloads" and if "Nokia.com" displays click on that which should get you to the Nokia downloads page. There on the second item down should be SMS Accelerator.

Interestingly - I went to download it, my N93 (which is as slow as a very slow thing) said that it was already installed, do I want to install it again. I said "Yes" and now using the SMS does seem to be noticably faster. So maybe the previous install stopped working or somesuch! It is worth re-installing the software if you've got that far :)

whatleydude
27th August 2007, 11:09 PM
I thought this had been around for ages?

I downloaded this for my old N73 from the Nokia website last year I think..

Ben
27th August 2007, 11:16 PM
Probably has, but it would appear to be less of an optional accessory and more of an essential. It's certainly worth drawing peoples attention to a 1-minute job that could make a vast difference to their Nokia experience.

gorilla
28th August 2007, 12:48 PM
It made a big difference for me when I had the N80. My E65 seems to be ok, but I might try and install it.

Ben
28th August 2007, 02:00 PM
Yes, the E65 does seem to be naturally 'nippy'. You never know, it could already be on there like on Hands0n's N93.

hecatae
28th August 2007, 07:25 PM
Cant find it under Download! section of phone. Was installed when my phone was 3 branded, but it nips along at the moment.

Ben
28th August 2007, 09:30 PM
Lol, went to send a text tonight. The handset had Standby and Music player running (they can't be stopped) and Messaging and Contacts. Out of memory :D

Classic. Nokia are so goddamn tight it's untrue.

The Mullet of G
1st November 2007, 09:31 PM
I've never had this issue myself but I've carried that 2kb file around on my phone since its release and its gold dust, came across a few people on nights out who did have the issue in question, some cases were severe rendering the phone unusable for a few minutes, at which point I sent on the magic file via bluetooth and its cured the problem every time, heck that 2kb file has earned me a good few free drinks lol. :D