The responses are here --> The full Irish experience from the horses mouth is here --> The problem is that as soon as something goes wrong 3's">

3's new £10 data tariff - Worth the risk? [Archive] - Talk3G Mobile Phone Forums - Help, discussion, news and reviews

View Full Version : 3's new £10 data tariff - Worth the risk?

Hands0n
26th August 2007, 06:40 PM
The Irish experience of 3's new "wireless broadband" offering is not pleasant reading. Are they likely to do any better here in the UK? If not, can 3's Customer Services help, or will there be a repeat of the experiences of their customers - some of whom voiced their opinions in response to an article on The Register?

The Article is here -> (http://www.theregister.com/2007/08/24/three_ireland_problems/)

The responses are here --> (http://www.theregister.com/2007/08/24/three_ireland_problems/comments/)

The full Irish experience from the horses mouth is here --> (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306)

The problem is that as soon as something goes wrong 3's great big Denial Machine kicks into gear! And so with a lot of FUD and Obsfuction nothing gets done real quick and a lot of Customers get totally fed up.

History repeating itself.

Hands0n
26th August 2007, 07:03 PM
Follow up to the opening post in this thread - one of the Irish corresponents of the discussion forum has posted a workaround that seems to solve a lot of the problems with using 3's data network - the link is here (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53832834&postcount=1286). Use this information at your own risk - but as a network geezer I can support pretty much all that he has said.

If you sign up for 3's data service in the UK and experience similar issues you should give the suggestions in the linked-to article a try. If you do, please post your experiences here for others to share.

getti
26th August 2007, 08:56 PM
I know the Ireland 3 problems have been bad but thats 1 network. Look at 3 Aus.... no problems at all.

I think it will go fine. Il get to see myself when i go training next week :)

3g-g
27th August 2007, 12:18 AM
That article the chap posted for 3 ie is very interesting, but no-one, absolutely no-one should have to make such a workaround for a service to work on a telecommunications/media/whatever they want to be called service provider in order to get something as simple as bleeding email working correctly!

Can you imagine being on the phone to India and trying to explain that!?

Ben
27th August 2007, 01:50 AM
Interesting stuff about the MTU's, and it does seem to make sense. But if something that benign is really causing most of Three Ireland's problems then, ffs, some people need to be fired.

Minimum = 344ms, Maximum = 763ms, Average = 530ms
Ouch, that's rather pants. I wonder what the signal strength was etc. Latency on Vodafone HSDPA is 1/3 of the minimum!

Hands0n
27th August 2007, 07:52 AM
Can you imagine being on the phone to India and trying to explain that!?

And thats the frightening thing. The ordinary mortal will not stand a chance. This workaround is utterly beyond the scope of the Mumbai CS to handle and, especially as there appears to be no possible method to discuss with 2nd and 3rd line support the chances of the core problem being communicated are nil. And so the problem will persist for a great deal longer than it should - and the bad press [for 3] will cause the ruination of what should be a fabulous offering.

Heads should roll for such a poor quality design. I reckon that this all stems from the core mindset of 3's which from the outset told us that we didn't want Internet data! This design sounds like it was nickel and dimed into a corner :(

3GScottishUser
27th August 2007, 11:31 AM
As far as the UK offering is concerned I think we have to wait and hope that lessons learned in ireland are not repeated.

It's quite sad that 3 UK have some form running at full speed to tempt folks with poorly implimented and resourced products. The priority seems to have been 'sell now and solve the problems later' and that probably explains why the 3 brand is now quite tarnished.

I hope 3 get this one right as it's a product that many will find appealing and it could gain them a foothold into businesses as a low cost mobile data solution.

We shall see.........