View Full Version : Sony integrates 'super 3G' into laptops

Ben
28th August 2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/28/sony_vaio_everywhere/

Sony has upgraded six Vaio notebooks to include High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) connectivity. It claims the SZ6 and TZ20 series, which consist of six notebooks in all, will eventually provide users with download speeds of up to 7.2Mbps while on the move.
If there's one computer that'd make me use Vista it's the Sony TZ with a SSD and integrated HSDPA. I mean, seriously, wow. I'm actually dribbling.

This has to be the way things are going - small, sexy, light and connected. Oh, and seven hours battery life.

If only it ran OS X.

Hands0n
28th August 2007, 09:58 PM
I don't like the tiddly screens on these notebooks. Too darn consarn small for these old eyes of mine :D Had to set one up for the boss at my previous firm - couldn't hand it over to him quickly enough! Now sitting here in front of my 15" WS MBP I'm happy :)

Pobble
30th August 2007, 03:24 PM
I wonder if any networks will be offering any incentives to sign up to their data service? Given the huge subsidies they will give on a handset, you would have thought that there would have been some competition to get your business? Maybe they could even subsidise the cost of the laptop if you signed up to one of their data plans for 12 months say?

Ben
30th August 2007, 03:59 PM
I had expected this to start happening by now. Orange have been subsidising laptops for their ADSL services but not, afaik, for 3G.

Mobile phone shops selling a selection of laptops can't be totally out of the question, can it? I mean, most are walls of 6ft adverts and a selection of dummies... it's not like they couldn't use a bit of diversification.