View Full Version : Creating an Archive (.ZIP) in Mac OS X

chagle
28th August 2007, 08:33 PM
Hello good people...

Nice to see a lot of lively threads happening here :-)

Found something in Mac OS X that's bugging me.. and google isn't helping toooooo much.

I want to create a .ZIP in Mac OS x - Easy enough.. but when these Archives are opened within a Windows machine (say I've sent the archive to a Windows friend) there's additional files.. opening the Archive within Mac OS these files are hidden but on a Windows platform they look something like ._xxxx etc.

Is there a way to stop Mac OS X doing these.. plllllllllllease ;)

Ben
28th August 2007, 09:19 PM
Do they still appear if you just select the files you want and Archive them, rather than Archiving a whole folder? It's possible the hidden files are already in your directories and that's why they're making their way into the ZIP. I've got a funny feeling that's the case, they're probably there for indexing and wotnot.

If they are being put there by the Archive app then you could always find another ZIP utility online.

chagle
28th August 2007, 09:21 PM
I suppose it could be archive the hidden files already within the folder. So I'll have to have a looksie..

To be honest, I rather like the simplicity of the Archive feature built into Mac OS and don't want to install app after app when the OS can do it.. :-)

Ben
28th August 2007, 09:25 PM
Oh totally. Of course those hidden files wont do any harm in the Windows world. Annoying, yes, but I guess that goes for Windows in general ;)

chagle
28th August 2007, 09:27 PM
... Just a bit confusing at the Windows end. Especially when I've sent a small video and then I get an email saying 'what icon do I click on' .. err, me thinks - There's only one file.... but not! :-)