View Full Version : No Nokia N81 for 3

3GScottishUser
30th August 2007, 05:54 PM
3 UK will not be offering the new i-phone challenger from Nokia (N81) as it comes pre-loaded with Nokia's own music store software which the Finnish maker has refused to remove.

3 UK has confirmed it will not stock this device and Orange may follow suit as they claim it could affect their own music store revenues.

This decision may also affect the new 8GB version of the upgraded N95 which Nokia will also offer with Nokia Music Store pre-loaded.

Hands0n
30th August 2007, 07:03 PM
Ooooh, this has to be the first time Nokia has flexed its muscles against the mobile network operator. I'd like to see a lot more of this. Expect the GSMA to get all hot and bothered. Flossers.

Ben
30th August 2007, 07:27 PM
LOL - fancy not carrying a handset because it has Nokia's music store software installed. This is going to be hilarious.

Looks like the networks aren't going to become dumb access providers without a fight.

hecatae
30th August 2007, 08:48 PM
3 UK will not be offering the N81 as it cant afford it until it's dropped it's price after 6 months like the N95.

When will networks learn, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Hands0n
30th August 2007, 09:53 PM
Has anyone noticed 3's intended SIM-only deal? Provide your own phone? So long as they don't cripple the connectivity or protocol between handset and Nokia's music store there really won't be that much they can do about it. Same goes for the other networks. UK and EC regulators won't be allowing the networks to be anti-competitive and block traffic. Truphone won against T-Mobile and Nokia will win any case it prosecutes if the networks get all silly about things.

In my book, the networks have had long enough to get their act together and failed utterly. Let them sell networks and only networks - that really is all that they [just about] do right. Anything else leave to the experts, which isn't the networks!

solo12002
30th August 2007, 10:00 PM
" Has anyone noticed 3's intended SIM-only deal?"

Nope can you give more details or provide a link??

Hands0n
30th August 2007, 10:04 PM
Try this :D https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23062

hillary
14th November 2008, 02:20 PM
hi...

thanks for the details....

i was impressed..